What's new

Trade up? What are you willing to give up?

There has been zero smoke on this so it's not a thing.....but hear me out. What if CHO becomes enthralled by Scoot to the point where they want to pick him and move Lamelo?

What would you trade for Lamelo Ball? Injury issues aside, I actually think he's an underrated basketball player.
I was listening to some podcast and they said Lamelo and Scoot actually have a friendship already. IMO it's probably premature to assume they wouldn't draft Scoot and keep them both and try to make it work. Their transition offense could be special with those two...

Another hypothetical Scoot-> CHO idea, this one is more realistic. CHO really wants Scoot and believe in him + Lamelo.

Would you take Terry Rozier in a salary dump? He has about 3/$75 left on his deal. CHO owns the 27th and 34th picks in this year's draft, and don't forget that Ainge is the guy who drafted Rozier. If we get some picks to come along with Rozier, we could use them to move up to 6 with ORL.

Another hypothetical Scoot-> CHO idea, this one is more realistic. CHO really wants Scoot and believe in him + Lamelo.

Would you take Terry Rozier in a salary dump? He has about 3/$75 left on his deal. CHO owns the 27th and 34th picks in this year's draft, and don't forget that Ainge is the guy who drafted Rozier. If we get some picks to come along with Rozier, we could use them to move up to 6 with ORL.
We know Danny likes Rozier ... there used to be "untouchable" jokes about Rozier for a while when he was in Boston, because Ainge supposedly loved him. I can see such a move happening. Not sure I'd do it... I have to crystalize a bit my thoughts on where this team is and what our goals should be. It just feels like the wrong type of deal. We already have tons and tons of picks. In a few years we won't have enough roster spots to roster all the picks so... late 1st, early 2nd right now is not very appealing to me. If we get a lightly protected future pick... that's something else...

I don’t think 27/34 is enough for me to take on Rozier at 3/75M.

I don’t think 27/34 is enough for me to take on Rozier at 3/75M.

Fair....that was my first instinct as well. But I think 27+34 might also be enough gas to move from 9 to 6.....and when you put it that way I think I would do it if you really like someone at #6. I'm sure CHO has some future picks as well that could be included as well.

Whatever a fair deal is for taking on Rozier, I would be interested in having that conversation.

We know Danny likes Rozier ... there used to be "untouchable" jokes about Rozier for a while when he was in Boston, because Ainge supposedly loved him. I can see such a move happening. Not sure I'd do it... I have to crystalize a bit my thoughts on where this team is and what our goals should be. It just feels like the wrong type of deal. We already have tons and tons of picks. In a few years we won't have enough roster spots to roster all the picks so... late 1st, early 2nd right now is not very appealing to me. If we get a lightly protected future pick... that's something else...

I see it more as an avenue to get more gas to trade up in this draft. Like would you take on Rozier if it meant we go from #9 to #6?

I also don't hate the idea of giving Rozier a chance at redemption. His value is at his lowest right now after a tough season, but I could easily see him getting back to neutral (or just less negative) value after a season with us. I do think we should be in the business of flipping players like flipping houses.

I see it more as an avenue to get more gas to trade up in this draft. Like would you take on Rozier if it meant we go from #9 to #6?

I also don't hate the idea of giving Rozier a chance at redemption. His value is at his lowest right now after a tough season, but I could easily see him getting back to neutral (or just less negative) value after a season with us. I do think we should be in the business of flipping players like flipping houses.
That's the thing. Do we not already have plenty of assets to use for such a move without sacrificing the direction and building possibilities of this team? I'd understand it if we didn't already have like 20 1st round picks in the next 5-6 years...

I would be more inclined to do it if we weren’t brining back Clarkson so that would be a factor to me.

If they are putting Simons and #3 on the table, I think they're looking for someone like Towns, Beal, or Lavine. Don't think the Jazz can help with that. I think where the Jazz can help is if POR is looking for the next tier down of "star" players that might be worth the 9th pick (or 9+change) but not worth the third pick. I'm thinking guys like Gobert, Siakam, Derozan. In that scenario we can send the 9th pick to the team with the star, we get the 3rd pick, and POR gets the star + picks from us to make up the difference between 3 and 9.
The blazers guy was a hard no on Beal, Towns Lavine… he covers the team so not an infallible resource but said the defensive oriented wing is what they’d be after.

It’s basically the raps deal to lose and I stated such but… Massai works on his own timeline and several are skeptical he will trade one of OG or Pascal. It just seems like they might move Simons no matter what they do with the pick and I’d have interest in the pick or Simons… feels like a deal we can work into and Porty has given up excess value in other deals and are really at a tipping point here with somewhat of a deadline.

Lamelo is super talented but I have my doubts on him. Think his trade value might outweigh his actual value to a high level winning situation. Charlotte is such a bad organization that it might be that stink sticking yo him unfairly. I’d be concerned in the reoccurring ankle injuries. That might be one to revisit in a year if his value continues to decline. I think they will either take Scoot and make it work with Ball or take Miller and avoid the whole issue.

My current Big Board. I’m only a casual fan, I concede that Cy and Ferguson are way more expert in analyzing this stuff, but here it is for fun.

1. Victor Wembanyama
  2. Scoot Henderson
  3. Brandon Miller
  4. Cam Whitmore
  5. Amen Thompson
  6. Ausar Thompson
  7. Jarace Walker
  8. Taylor Hendricks
  9. Gradey Dick
  10. Cason Wallace
  11. Kobe Bufkin
  12. Keyonte George
  13. Gregory Jackson
  14. Bilal Coulibali
  15. Jalen Hood-Schifino
  16. Dariq Whitehead
  17. Anthony Black
  18. Nick Smith
  19. Jordan Hawkins
  20. Leonard Miller
  21. Colby Jones
  22. Derek Lively
  23. Sidy Cissoko
  24. Rayan Rupert
  25. Brice Sensabaugh
  26. Kris Murray
  27. Jett Howard
  28. Brandon Podziemski
  29. Noah Clowney
  30. Maxwell Lewis

Can someone more knowledgeable and/or diligent than I tell me if it’s possible to extend-and-trade Clarkson on or before draft night (officially or UNofficially)?

With extensions now able to raise at 140%, it might actually make sense to extend Clarkson where before it didn’t. If he were to opt-out and extend, his max starting salary next year would be $18,676,000. That honestly sounds about right to me.

TLDR; does the CBA even contain the possibility that Clarkson can be used on or prior to draft night for a trade?

My current Big Board. I’m only a casual fan, I concede that Cy and Ferguson are way more expert in analyzing this stuff, but here it is for fun.

1. Victor Wembanyama
  2. Scoot Henderson
  3. Brandon Miller
  4. Cam Whitmore
  5. Amen Thompson
  6. Ausar Thompson
  7. Jarace Walker
  8. Taylor Hendricks
  9. Gradey Dick
  10. Cason Wallace
  11. Kobe Bufkin
  12. Keyonte George
  13. Gregory Jackson
  14. Bilal Coulibali
  15. Jalen Hood-Schifino
  16. Dariq Whitehead
  17. Anthony Black
  18. Nick Smith
  19. Jordan Hawkins
  20. Leonard Miller
  21. Colby Jones
  22. Derek Lively
  23. Sidy Cissoko
  24. Rayan Rupert
  25. Brice Sensabaugh
  26. Kris Murray
  27. Jett Howard
  28. Brandon Podziemski
  29. Noah Clowney
  30. Maxwell Lewis

Black at 17… yowza.

Can someone more knowledgeable and/or diligent than I tell me if it’s possible to extend-and-trade Clarkson on or before draft night (officially or UNofficially)?

With extensions now able to raise at 140%, it might actually make sense to extend Clarkson where before it didn’t. If he were to opt-out and extend, his max starting salary next year would be $18,676,000. That honestly sounds about right to me.

TLDR; does the CBA even contain the possibility that Clarkson can be used on or prior to draft night for a trade?

He can be extended and traded but the max is a 5% increase and only two additional seasons added.

Whaaa? Can you cite the source (I acknowledge my laziness)?

Similar to a sign-and-trade arrangement, a team may sign an eligible player to an extension and immediately trade him to another team. Such an "extend-and-trade" is limited to three seasons, which include any seasons remaining on the player's current contract. The salary in the first season of the extension can have a 5% raise over the last season of the existing contract, and subsequent raises are limited to 5% of the salary in the first season of the extension. The 5% limit also applies to both likely and unlikely bonuses.