What's new

Trey Lyles Career-high 16 points --- HIGHLIGHTS!!

He's a better fit and potential mismatch at the 4, especially with Gobert and Favors on the roster. There are easily enough minutes for all three.

I understand that. Still wondering about the SF, though, if that's cool.

I don't think I'd want him there. He moves really well though so he might be able to guard some of the slower 3s eventually. Unless he gets a post game I don't see an advantage putting him there on offense.

I think he's a different version of a Diaw type. Moves faster... prolly not as smart, but I don't like the Boozer comp that is always thrown around. I like where it's headed with him.

I don't think I'd want him there. He moves really well though so he might be able to guard some of the slower 3s eventually. Unless he gets a post game I don't see an advantage putting him there on offense.

I think he's a different version of a Diaw type. Moves faster... prolly not as smart, but I don't like the Boozer comp that is always thrown around. I like where it's headed with him.

For sure. The Jazz could benefit from swapping one of their guards -- Exum, Burke, Neto, Burks -- for a bigger, more athletic, defensive-minded wing to complement Gordo and Rodney. Probably not the best time to be shopping them; with Exum out, the Jazz are thin at the 1/2, and Chris Johnson has filled in adequately. Would love to see Alec packaged with picks for a better third wing this summer.

He's a better fit and potential mismatch at the 4, especially with Gobert and Favors on the roster. There are easily enough minutes for all three.

for the record, this is my position, too. But it's nice to know that you can ride the hot hand (if Trey is hot) and still get Gobert AND Favors out there, if necessary. I'm asking about an exception.

I don't like the Boozer comp
They're both smart and skilled at the 4. The comp breaks down with Boozer's rebounding and overall strength and Lyles' foot speed/balance, but it's not a terrible comp overall. Boozer was a terrific offensive big for Utah.

Nothing to see here, Enes Kanter had way better offensive skillset and everyone just pissed on him here.

Kanter needed the ball in his hands a lot per point scored. Whenever he caught the ball he had one thing on his mind. B L A C K H O L E. Trey plays within the offense. We get points either way, but I prefer watching us play similar to the Spurs with everyone a threat to go off vs. playing like we did with Jefferson.

PS... how could you continue to defend Kanter? 'Mountains... I guess'. That's like defending Hack.

PSS... Hack, are you still 100% confident that Trey Lyles is a total bust after 35 games? Ha...

I can't remember where I was reading that he is doing 3 shooting practices. Before, after and during shootaround. Plus doing film studies above and beyond the normal. I'm excited to see what other tricks he has up his sleeve.

This is exactly the kind of stuff you want to hear about the players on your team.

They're both smart and skilled at the 4. The comp breaks down with Boozer's rebounding and overall strength and Lyles' foot speed/balance, but it's not a terrible comp overall. Boozer was a terrific offensive big for Utah.

Yeah I think boozer was really good... No doubt. Just feels like a lazy comp. I think booze was an offensive force and trey will be good but not as good. Think they will be more well rounded. Physically booze was a monster but struggled with length... Trey won't be as strong but is longer and much better laterally. Also trey never screams AND ONE!!!! or GO GET IT RUDY!

But Lyles has him on charisma, attitude and dedication.

BOOM!!

Likeability, ability to play defense, maturity,ability to play with others, and can actually shoot.

Also... Eff Kanter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhY278zjRxk

Perhaps it was just a standard rotation, but early in the 4th after the sequence where he hits the 3(1:02), then draws the foul.. I thought Quinn might have subbed him out, knowing he was hot, to see if he'd still be zoned in when he subbed him in again in a few minutes...

I was hoping at that point, down 20, and with Trey's Career high already in hand, that they might have kept feeding him.. I think he woulda kept scoring or making good plays, he was in rhythm and feeling it.. Was starting to remind me of Lyles in HS for a minute there..

he didn't touch the ball the next possession and then was subbed out for the starters, down 20... Didn't re-enter the game til 3 minutes left in the 4th.. I say he coulda went for 20 easy if they left him in.

Thanks. Good video. Harp's a ****ing tool though. I'm as big a Lyles supporter as there has been on this board but he's pretty much the last guy I think of when I think of grit and toughness.

Trey Lyles is the silver lining of the Derrick Favors back injury. I don't see him growing as quickly if Derrick wasn't missing so much time.

I really hope Utah's still able to make it to the playoffs, but if we don't, it's nice that a lot of development time was given to Neto and Lyles, and it's clearly paying off.

I'd rather him develop his J and 3 point shot over an inside game.

Agreed... He can obviously get stronger, but I wouldn't want him to lose any quickness/agility because he put on a bunch of weight. He has a good stroke, so he might as well continue to develop it from good to great.

Unless he gets a post game I don't see an advantage putting him there on offense..
Disagree.

Height is not just an advantage in the Post. Watch hood vs mccollum. Matters as you take someone off the drive. Try contesting 3s versus taller opponents.