What's new

UPDATED: 2021 All-Time NBA Draft

Since it seems we have some down time, we should post videos of our players and teams. I love reminiscing about the past. Late 80’s and 90’s are what made me fall in love with basketball. This era is simply a watered down version with less strategy, physicality, rivalries, and storylines. It’s less competitive. In the past stars wanted to beat each other for bragging rights, now they are looking to join each other. This leads to no mistory and the underdogs being able to rise up. I think this is the first time in ages where we had a finals we didn’t really expect.

I feel bad for @Domino and some of you younger fans here that couldn’t experience the 90’s or watch Magic and Birds rivalry unfold. Those were the days to be an NBA fan. Maybe we just need a new bird vs Magic rivalry 2.0 as I feel like interest in the nba is slipping a bit.

Lmao, typical old ****. Interest in the NBA is slipping? Lmao the playoffs had the highest percentage of viewership in households since 2002.

The skill level now is so ridiculous compared to pre-2000’s.

Yes, there was so many underdogs and so many mystery Finals matchups in the 80’s and 90’s.

Jordan/Magic/Bird were responsible for 14/17 championships from 1980-1996. So much parody.

Lmao I hate old dudes like you who romanticize the past and make **** up. So many terrible players back then. Jordan torched a bunch of ice cream truck drivers. News flash fouling isn’t good defense.

Lmao, typical old ****. Interest in the NBA is slipping? Lmao the playoffs had the highest percentage of viewership in households since 2002.

Yes, there was so many underdogs and so many mystery Finals matchups in the 80’s and 90’s.

Jordan/Magic/Bird were responsible for 14/17 championships from 1980-1996. So much parody.

Lmao I hate old dudes like you who romanticize the past and make **** up. So many terrible players back then. Jordan torched a bunch of ice cream truck drivers. News flash fouling isn’t good defense.
Imagine having to put up with him almost every day

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Typical response from the younger crowd that are completely clueless to the old days because they didn’t experience it. So they have no damn clue just how great the 80’s and 90’s were, hell, half of you idiots think LBJ is the goat of goats. Lol. LMAO. Yes Magic, Bird, and Jordan dominated that period but you always felt your team had a shot. We also had the bad boy pistons the trailblazers and rockets. And the competitive atmosphere was so much thicker you could barely cut it with a knife.

Typical response from the younger crowd that are completely clueless to the old days because they didn’t experience it. So they have no damn clue just how great the 80’s and 90’s were, hell, half of you idiots think LBJ is the goat of goats. Lol. LMAO. Yes Magic, Bird, and Jordan dominated that period but you always felt your team had a shot. We also had the bad boy pistons the trailblazers and rockets. And the competitive atmosphere was so much thicker you could barely cut it with a knife.
Stars joining each other has completely watered down the entertainment value and drama of the nba. But you don’t understand this because you didn’t experience it so how can you presume to tell me I’m wrong, or tell me how I should feel about it. You are the one with no clue, and why should you, you didn’t experience it.

Stars joining each other has completely watered down the entertainment value and drama of the nba. But you don’t understand this because you didn’t experience it so how can you presume to tell me I’m wrong, or tell me how I should feel about it. You are the one with no clue, and why should you, you didn’t experience it.

Lmao you are a ****ing clueless idiot.

The majority of the greatest super teams of all time are from the 80’s and 90’s clown.

The above debate is precisely why I was hoping to create a minimum threshold of new players and old players, but I digress.

The above debate is precisely why I was hoping to create a minimum threshold of new players and old players, but I digress.

I get it for sure. So why don’t we just leave it as the trades have to match eras.

So do our bench players have to be from certain eras now to if so that changes everything for everyone's drafts

In keeping with Wes' general approach to rule clarifications (not changes), I hope he wouldn't be upset if we figure this out democratically.

So, @gandalfe , @Wes Mantooth , @Hekate , @JoelHodgeJr , @Domino , @Coach Ellis , @White Chocolate , @toddychurch , @Thee Idiotic Minivan K , @homeytennis , @Rubashov :

Should unrestricted trade (with particular regard to cross-era trade) be allowed from this point forward in the contest? Reply simply 'YES' or 'NO'

Whichever answer reaches 6 votes first will determine how we proceed with the question.
No at first I thought yes but saying yes would make things a lot more complicated

I get it for sure. So why don’t we just leave it as the trades have to match eras.
Everything we try to do to make this general idea work involves a lot of clarifications on the margins that complicate this. So I'm softening on the idea of just taking the guardrails off.

What I'm referring to is that I already traded Lillard for a pick (as I believe you were also involved in a similar transaction), which probably would supplant that rule. Maybe we could just grandfather them?

Again, what I propose is that players selected with a poster's first five picks (hereafter referred to as "first-half pick") be subject to its own special trade rules, but not a person's 6-10 picks ("second-half pick"). What this would mean is if I wanted to trade a first-half pick drafted in the 2010's, I could only trade it for another first-half pick drafted in the 2010's of someone else's. This restriction would not apply to second-half picks which are open season as long as they are for other second-half picks.

In your case IIRC, that would mean you could trade Jason Kidd for any other second-half pick or combination of picks, but that would not apply to KD, Russell, Pippen, Klay, or Ray Allen (though they could still be traded for players of the same era).

Stars from small markets didn’t leave their teams to join a powerhouse back in the day. Had Reggie Miller for example played in this era, he’d have probably left after his second contract to join a contender a team already stacked, for example Durant leaving OKC to play with GS that had already won 72 games that season. Things like that never happened back in the 80’s or 90’s. Back then the very best stars stayed home because they wanted to beat other stars and win with the team they started with. Now stars are teaming up because they want to win a title the easy way and are so afraid of retiring with out a title on their resume. It’s always better for a league when great teams are built organically then players leaving teams high and dry forcing them to start over. So instead of having 8-9 teams with a shot you have only 3-4 teams that have a shot.

Everything we try to do to make this general idea work involves a lot of clarifications on the margins that complicate this. So I'm softening on the idea of just taking the guardrails off.

What I'm referring to is that I already traded Lillard for a pick (as I believe you were also involved in a similar transaction), which probably would supplant that rule. Maybe we could just grandfather them?

Again, what I propose is that players selected with a poster's first five picks (hereafter referred to as "first-half pick") be subject to its own special trade rules, but not a person's 6-10 picks ("second-half pick"). What this would mean is if I wanted to trade a first-half pick drafted in the 2010's, I could only trade it for another first-half pick drafted in the 2010's of someone else's. This restriction would not apply to second-half picks which are open season as long as they are for other second-half picks.

In your case IIRC, that would mean you could trade Jason Kidd for any other second-half pick or combination of picks, but that would not apply to KD, Russell, Pippen, Klay, or Ray Allen (though they could still be traded for players of the same era).

All of the deals done so far have been in accordance with that though.

You idiot it’s not any different lmao. Only way it’s different is if they drafted a super team.
Players didn’t have the power back then as they do now. Players run the league now more than they ever have in the past, leaving teams high and dry.

It’s cute though how you’re trying to win this argument, just stop, there’s no way that will happen.

You idiot it’s not any different lmao. Only way it’s different is if they drafted a super team.
Players didn’t have the power back then as they do now. Players run the league now more than they ever have in the past, leaving teams high and dry.

It’s cute though how you’re trying to win this argument, just stop, there’s no way that will happen.