What's new

UPDATED: 2021 All-Time NBA Draft

Steve Nash (drafted 1996)
1626794169277.png1626794338317.png
One of the greatest and most efficient playmakers and shooters of all-time, hands down.
2x MVP
(and barely missed a third*), 7x All-NBA selections, 5x Assist champion, 2x TS% leader

Steve Nash's best statistical season was 2006-07*, so I am selecting that season:
-18.6 PPG, 11.6 APG, 3.5 RPG; .654 TS% (53/46(!!!)/90 shooting splits), 12.6 win shares (.225 per 48), 5.9 box +/-

The impact of Steve Nash on winning in real terms is that his presence improved the Suns from 29-53 in 2004 to 62-20 and to the WCF in 2005
(!!!), winning MVP along the way.

He made a career of making mediocre-to-decent role-players look almost star-like, especially big men like Channing Frye and Marcin Gortat, and straight-up making Shawn Marion an all-star/maxed out player. Being only among Magic in the debate of best transition playmakers ever, he wasn't limited to that as he also thrived next to Shaq - a plodding big with 0 range, attributes typically antithetical to Nash's strengths - and sent a near-washed Shaq to his last All-Star Game**. The big he's going to be playing with is ****ing Hakeem.

**note: What makes the Shaq-Nash pairing all the more remarkable is that Shaq has a bitter obsession with Steve Nash winning MVP to this day (and that Shaq is/was renown as a lazy, ****-talking bastard in general), and yet they made it work. Being able to work with others is critical in a functioning team, and it can't be said enough how well Nash did this on every level. It might even be worth noting that his leadership and the respect he commands is why he became head coach of the Nets and got those lunatics to, seemingly, chill the **** out and get on the same page.

Last edited:
Grant Hill

Drafted in 94
Highlights from 96-97 season

Best season. 96-97 all nba first team
21.4pts. 9reb. 7.3ast.

Just how good was Grant Hill, and what if he didn’t get injured. Very good video.

Hill was already an elite player in the 96-97 season, and well on his way to being one of the best ever befor injuries completely derailed this path. He was so good many were calling him the next Jordan, this is completely asinine of course, but I will say that he was already a great player in his third year. It’s strange to me that in his third year he was named to the all nba first team but wasn’t named an all star that year.

Grant Hill was a stat stuffer that year, an elite rebounder for his position (9reb.) and a great passer and playmaker (7ast per) He wasn’t a three point shooter, however he could and did hit the occasional three that year at 30% on 0.4 attempts per game. Just wasn’t a part of his game. His form was good and he did have a good midrange game. Played a point forward type of game. To me he was the Tim Duncan of sf’s and I have no doubt he’d be referenced like a Tim Duncan if not for the injuries that refused to go away in his prime. He was LBJ before LBJ got to the nba and well on his way to becoming the best player in the game. He’s that tragic what if story had he not had all the injuries.

Great Hill crosses up Scottie Pippen scored 37 points on Pippen and Jordan.

I had another player in mind to play pf. But he is the same era as the next guy I wanted with my fifth pick so Magic is moving to a point 4 role. Love how this era changes strategy, and probably makes for a more competitive draft. It is super frustrating at times though.

My starting 5, btw:

PG - Oscar Robertson
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Jimmy Butler
PF - Pau Gasol
C - Alonzo Mourning
That’s got to be one of the favorites right there. So much attitude in MJ, JB, Big O, and Zo. Your going to have to have a tough nosed team just to compete with this.

I just wanna note that Nash was #20 on my big board so I am both stunned and pleased to have him.

Who in NBA history has done a better job improving the play of his teammates (and where it can actually be proven, i.e. Gortat on the Suns vs. not, Shawn Marion with Nash or not with Nash, Channing Frye, Shaq's last hurrah)? Lebron?

What other players have shown such immediate impact on a franchise's winning BOTH when they arrived (>doubling winning percentage, going to WCF), AND losing when they left (winning percentage nearly cut in half, even though he had started declining before he left and the Suns had lost all their star power beforehand as well). David Robinson's injured season (a team that was already built around him, and who tanked)? When the Celtics went from a joke to acquiring BOTH KG and Ray Allen? Lebron probably fits this criteria since he shouldn't be faulted for not immediately turning them into a winning team as a rookie. There are certainly numerous examples that can be in this conversation, but the point here is the list of players that have this kind of impact are understood to be greats of the greats.

That is all to say that I think Nash's greatness gets overlooked because he was a (white) 6' 3" dude with a bad back doing his best on defense with no rim protection behind him and his teams never made a finals. He's faulted (I was once of this thinking too), and I think that is hogwash. He simply never had the complete team needed to win a chip.

Last edited:
I just wanna note that Nash was #20 on my big board so I am both stunned and pleased to have him.

Who in NBA history has done a better job improving the play of his teammates (and where it can actually be proven, i.e. Gortat on the Suns vs. not, Shawn Marion with Nash or not with Nash, Channing Frye, Shaq's last hurrah)? Lebron?

What other players have shown such immediate impact on a franchise's winning BOTH when they arrived (>doubling winning percentage, going to WCF), AND losing when they left (winning percentage nearly cut in half, even though he had started declining before he left and the Suns had lost all their star power beforehand as well). David Robinson's injured season (a team that was already built around him, and who tanked)? When the Celtics went from a joke to acquiring BOTH KG and Ray Allen? Lebron probably fits this criteria since he shouldn't be faulted for not immediately turning them into a winning team as a rookie. There are certainly numerous examples that can be in this conversation, but the point here is the list of players that have this kind of impact are understood to be greats of the greats.

That is all to say that I think Nash's greatness gets overlooked because he was a (white) 6' 3" dude with a bad back doing his best on defense with no rim protection behind him and his teams never made a finals. He's faulted (I was once of this thinking too), and I think that is hogwash. He simply never had the complete team needed to win a chip.
Got a bromance thing going here. Lol just making fun of how you talk about him. I mean do I need to get you a room? Haha all jokes a side I agree with pretty much all that. I don’t think he’s underrated as a player here at all. The only reason you got him where you did was because of the era rule we have in place. A lot of guys got picked way too soon (Pistol in the first round) and there are a lot of guys that still haven’t been picked that should’ve been picked and that’s due to the era rule. There are two or three guys I made writeups on where after I finished realized I couldn’t take them because I already took a guy from that era. Had I not taken Both Magic and or Curry, I would’ve been eyeing Nash for sure. He’s for sure top 5 pg of all time in my book.