What's new

Uta vs. Hou: Game 2 off/def strategy change up?

Lakers_Slapper

During game 1, Quinn and the Jazz executed a defensive strategy that led to our loss. It didn't make sense at all. We not only forced, but encouraged and allowed James Harden to go to the strong side, forcing him into a center lane penetration almost every time he had the ball. Our defensive strategy became clear that we would have Gobert collapse on him in the paint. We would be tempting him with an open drive down the center and taking him off of looking for a 3 early in the possession. It didn't work because the second that Gobert took even a step away from Capela to guard a driving Harden, he was left with an easy finishing lob to Capela for the hoop. Or it required help coverage from a wing defender leaving the Rockets with an open corner 3, and/or a few simple passes to get them an open 3 from another spot on the floor.
Their offense took advantage of this, running a Harden led, high key iso, or a Harden led mid court high screen off and on for almost 2 1/2 quarters. We never figured out how to stop him. Whoever we put on Harden, he had his way with them and our defense exploited their list of 3 point Executionists.
It's hard to say what changes need to happen to guard Harden. He falls all over the floor every time you get close to him. I think that we should put Royce on him right from the jump of the starting 5 and have him muscle him straight up as long as he can. Expect that he will get 2 fouls in the 1st, but check him when he drives and really make him feel it . Play some gritty 80's style defense on him and make him think twice about penetrating the lane. I would then love to see Sefolosha play D on him most of the game after Royce goes to the side with his early, hard fouls.
Bring Ingles in off the bench to add a little offensive depth. Use Sefolosha as our secret defensive X factor. What do you think about switching up the starting 5 and bench to put Harden in check? What do you think about using Sefolosha as our secret defensive weapon? He is known for his lock down defense. Any thoughts on our next defensive scheme to stop Harden?

Fouling harden is exactly what the rockets want. 1.7 points per possession, I believe. What purpose does fouling him on purpose serve?

This is the important game. Game one was all hyped up and the Jazz played that way. Shots wouldn’t fall and the players looked like deer in the headlights. The new Harden D had guys confused. They will pull this one out tonight and then the playoffs begin.

We lost by 32 points when they went to the free throw line 8 times (?). Another blowout loss for us

Utah lacks confidence and fire against Houston and the Rockets know when to pour it on against the Jazz .Once down Snyders over achievers that he fills the Jazz team with lack the talent to reel back teams with offensive firepower (todays NBA) .

I think we need to be less aggressive on the guard of the left hand drives. Be closer to straight up, but shade to his left hand, urge him to right hand drives, but not force him as much. This allows us to play a bit more straight up defense.
I agree with the poster that was calling for us to just play our game, and to our strengths. Do what we are good at, but just do it better. I still think we can beat Houston, and I'm not going to let one bad game get me down.
The sky is not falling.

This is the important game. Game one was all hyped up and the Jazz played that way. Shots wouldn’t fall and the players looked like deer in the headlights. The new Harden D had guys confused. They will pull this one out tonight and then the playoffs begin.
*tomorrow night

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

EXCLUSIVE TRANSCRIPT OF GAME 1 PREGAME STRATEGY TALK:

Alex: hey, Quinn, what if we try to trick harden by getting out of his way and letting him dribble right into the paint?

Quin: WTF? Wouldn’t we be playing 4 against 5?

Alex: um yeah…but the thing is, that’s the last thing he’ll expect us to do

Quin: ok, I’m listening. How could this blow up in our face?

Alex: I’m not exactly sure since I’ve never seen a team at any level in basketball purposely remove a defender and play 4 against 5.

Quin: hmmm, ok, well, what’s the best that could happen?

Alex: harden won’t shoot those step back 35-foot three’s! He’ll drive right into the lane and Boom! That’s where we’ll get him!

Quin: I like your thinking

Alex: that’s not even the best part…when the rockets see us doing that to Harden, they’ll be tempted to try the same thing on Jae – chase him off the 3 point line! No more 1-9 from 3 nights!

Quin: What the hell, let’s do it! Hey do you have any crisp dollar bills? I’m meeting Jonny Football in the bathroom in a few minutes and he’s bringing the pixie dust!

We can rip on it, but I believe the Jazz used the Bucks strategy for Houston. The Bucks made it work, the Jazz could not.
I don't fault them for trying, but clearly we did something different or don't have the same athletes to recover/help.

The Jazz have a top 3 defense, let's try using that instead of this insane 4 on 5 strategy that is a gimmick. They actually ran it last year too, just not so obvious, but they did give CP3 and Harden an open lane to the right all series long. So now were in the second series of a similar defensive strategy that isn't making enough impact to make it worth trying anymore.

yeah we can only hope they abandon this bad excuse for a strategy...but then I see this:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-sixers-might-be-in-trouble/

"Rubio told reporters after the game that the Jazz are committed to playing Harden the same way throughout the series."

I want to see if it works when it's clicking. I think the strategy we should use is to have Gobert and Favors in the game together whenever Harden is in the game, and give Udoh the backup 5 mins.