What's new

Utah Jazz Hold Keystone in Draft

jazzrule

2011 NBA Mock Draft: Utah Jazz Hold Keystone, And His Name Is Enes Kanter

45368_morehead_state_kentucky_kanter_basketball_large.jpg
7 months ago:Kentucky's Enes Kanter watches the Kentucky's women's team during the second half of an NCAA college basketball against Morehead State at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, Ky., on Friday, Nov. 12, 2010. The NCAA ruled Kentucky freshman center Enes Kanter permanently ineligible to play for the Wildcats, though the school will appeal the decision. The NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff decided the 6-foot-11 Kanter received benefits above his actual and necessary expenses while playing for a club basketball team in Turkey. (AP Photo/James Crisp)

By Tom Ziller - NBA Contributor
Our latest 2011 NBA Mock Draft has Kyrie Irving going No. 1 to the Cleveland Cavaliers, but it's the Utah Jazz that can set this draft off on a number of trajectories, depending on what they do at No. 3.

Follow @sbnation on Twitter, and Like SBNation.com on Facebook.
May 24, 2011 - Every NBA Draft has that one spot up high in which the complexion of all that follows can change dramatically, depending on who is the pick. In 2008, that pick was No. 3, where the Minnesota Timberwolves took O.J. Mayo in a trade with the Memphis Grizzlies. In 2009, No. 2 -- Hasheem Thabeet to the Grizzlies -- held the key. Last year, the Timberwolves had the answer to the riddle at No. 4, where Wesley Johnson was the choice.
It's clear that in 2011, the draft begins at No. 3 with the Utah Jazz. Kyrie Irving will almost assuredly be the No. 1 pick of the Cleveland Cavaliers; he'd need an ice pick to show up in his X-rays to be dissed by C-Town. No. 2 should certainly be Derrick Williams, whether it is the Timberwolves choosing him or not.
But No. 3, oh odd No. 3? The world is Kevin O'Connor's taco bar. The possibilities are endless.
Let's mock.
1. Cleveland Cavaliers: Kyrie Irving, PG, Duke
It's fun to consider what excuse the Cavs could give for going with Williams over Irving. "We really like Ramon Sessions." "We really like Manny Harris." "We want to be back in the high lottery next season to grab Austin Rivers, so we're going to pick some forwards this year and trade for Sebastian Telfair." No offense to Williams, who is an excellent prospect, but to pass on Irving, there needs to be one helluva skeleton in his closet (or, again, X-rays).
2. Minnesota Timberwolves: Derrick Williams, F, Arizona
The popular sentiment is that the Wolves will jettison this pick in a swap for veteran leadership. What, you can't draft veterans? Minnesota's top pick in 2010 begs to differ. (Yes, we're still cracking wise about the Wolves picking a 23-year-old with the No. 4 pick. Deal with it.)
3. Utah Jazz: Enes Kanter, C, Turkey
Ah, the keystone pick. If the Jazz go point guard with Brandon Knight or Kemba Walker, the teams from No. 5-7 will have difficult decisions to make on remaining guards and wings and the plethora of big men available. But O'Connor is an avowed acolyte of the "best player available" strategy. Though the Jazz have three solid power forwards -- Al Jefferson (who masquerades as a center), Paul Millsap and promising if raw Derrick Favors -- Kanter currently looks like the most impressive player on the board. Luckily, Kanter measures out as a likely center; imagine he and Favors holding down the frontcourt with Millsap off the bench and Jefferson starring for the Charlotte Bobcats. Beautiful days ahead.
4. Cleveland Cavaliers: Jonas Valanciunas, C, Lithuania
The Cavaliers would send <3s to the Heavens if they could land Irving and Kanter; as a back-up plan, Valanciunas could work beautifully. The next great Lithuanian has one predominant concern: his buyout in Spain. We'll no doubt hear more as Eurocamp approaches; never underestimate the power of Fran Vasquez to kill a player's draft stock. Other options here could be Bismack Biyombo or even Jan Vesely; the Cavaliers are thinnest at small forward, believe it or not.
5. Toronto Raptors: Kemba Walker, PG, UConn
The Raptors' job should be easy if the Jazz pick a point guard at No. 3: Toronto simply takes the other one. But in the event Utah picks Kanter or Valanciunas, Bryan Colangelo will almost assuredly be able to choose his weapon. Brandon Knight, the youngest player in the draft and a more traditionally-sized NBA guard, could be the pick. But Toronto desperately needs leadership, and it's easy to imagine the Raptors' braintrust convincing themselves that Walker is the right fit for the long-term. (It's not like he's 23 or something.)
6. Washington Wizards: Jan Vesely, F, Czech Republic
Vesely could very well turn into the prize of the top 10; this draft isn't full of physical freaks, but the Czech gazelle qualifies. The Wizards need help at small forward behind (and hopefully in front of) Rashard Lewis, and Vesely is billed as an extraordinary open court player who could mesh well with John Wall. He has volatile stock, though; keep an eye on what the bead on Jan is out of Eurocamp.
7. Sacramento Kings: Brandon Knight, PG, Kentucky
The Kings have bigger holes than at guard; Biyombo, the athletic big man, and Kawhi Leonard, a tough small forward, are better need fits. But Sacramento struggles to create sentient offense, and a guard rotation of Knight, Tyreke Evans, Marcus Thornton and, for now, Beno Udrih would be promising. Udrih is older than all the rest and on a shorter contract (assuming the Kings re-sign Thornton this summer, as seems a priority), paving the way for a future with Knight.
8. Detroit Pistons: Bismack Biyombo, PF, Democratic Republic Of The Congo
If Biyombo is left on the board, it seems as if the Pistons have an easy decision. Joe Dumars knows the impact an elite defender can have, having rode Ben Wallace to a (near-)decade of dominance. Biyombo is comparable in optics, an energetic and hyperathletic ball of fire with wings that don't quit.
9. Charlotte Bobcats: Kawhi Leonard, SF, San Diego State
Sure, the last time the Bobcats picked a small forward from a Pacific Coast mid-major, it didn't work out. But Leonard is the opposite of Adam Morrison: a tough, strong fighter who struggles to score efficiently. Charlotte needs more scoring, but a replacement for Gerald Wallace is also high on the priority list.
10. Milwaukee Bucks: Alec Burks, SG, Colorado
Sticking with the "Burks, Bucks" thing. Riding plays-on-words 'til I die.
11. Golden State Warriors: Tristan Thompson, PF, Texas
Moving down or out of a draft is easier said than done, if you want good value, especially in a draft this reviled by front office types. As such, the many rumors you will hear about Golden State disliking their position and wanting to move out? Ignore them. It'll be near-impossible unless it's part of a much bigger deal or another team falls in love with a prospect in this range (which seems unlikely).
12. Utah Jazz: Jimmer Fredette, G, BYU
Are we sure the Book of Mormons doesn't actually predict this outcome?

I think it's funny that a lot of people, myself included, feel Kanter/Jimmer is our draft independently. Anyhow, what's with the Jefferson on the Bobcats comment?

I think it's funny that a lot of people, myself included, feel Kanter/Jimmer is our draft independently. Anyhow, what's with the Jefferson on the Bobcats comment?

I think it was just the writer damning him to yet another crap team.

He was thinking if we draft Kantor that Jefferson would be traded. I have not looked up who on the Bobcats he thinks we would trade Jefferson for.

He was thinking if we draft Kantor that Jefferson would be traded. I have not looked up who on the Bobcats he thinks we would trade Jefferson for.

Hmmmmmmmmm I did not find anyone on their roster I would think about trading Jefferson for, but they do have the Bobcats drafting Jonas Valanciunas at 9 in this draft. If we traded Jefferson later maybe Jonas would be part of that trade.

I think the 2nd pick will be the keystone in the draft.

I agree. Odd that two of the examples he uses are Minny, then says that this year the Jazz are the Keystone. As long as Minnesoat sucks and David Kahn is calling the shots Minny will be a major impact on the draft. I don't envy KOC's position on draft night-- David Kahn will probably find a way to mess up his plans.

Draft night will probably find KOC doing his best Captain Kirk impression: KAAAAAAHHHHNNNNNNNN !!!!!!

[video]https://youtu.be/iMA5_op9aOA