What's new

Utah Jazz Newsfeed

Jason

Administrator
Staff member
This is a feature I'm experimenting with and interested in feedback. I realize it needs to be timely so every 10 minutes we will check certain feeds for new Utah Jazz content and automatically post it to the community. So far I've added only the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News. Granted, the articles posted in the last hour might be a little dated (tried to clean that up a little) but going forward, it will be on JazzFanz within 10 minutes of being on the respective newspaper site.

Thoughts? Would this help you come here first in the morning to get the latest or do you already do that? Any other sources I should add to the feature?

Not looking to flood the community by any means but wanted to become a better source for the news and discussions around that news.

I like the idea of a news source being implemented into the boards. Thanks!

However is there a way to condense it so that so many new threads are not created so quickly? Maybe another subforum for news articles only?

However is there a way to condense it so that so many new threads are not created so quickly? Maybe another subforum for news articles only?

Quit stealing my ideas, toots.

It shouldn't flood in the future. Since most content creators post news as they get it, we will just link to it within 10 minutes of it being published. In theory, it will be spread throughout the day with maybe a little higher volume over the night hours if it's like a column or something where the paper/news source posts them all at a specific time.

It shouldn't flood in the future. Since most content creators post news as they get it, we will just link to it within 10 minutes of it being published. In theory, it will be spread throughout the day with maybe a little higher volume over the night hours if it's like a column or something where the paper/news source posts them all at a specific time.

That sounds great. Thanks!

This may be a great thing to add to the BLOG idea.. (a separate place for news stories??)

I don't really have much of an opinion, actually.

Haha, I thought News Feed was Jodey Genessy trying to get some hits on his articles....

On the old Jazzfanz, before the new jazzfanz there was a sidebar with a bunch of links....one of them was a news feed. Of course there used to be links on the main page too right in the center if I remember right....

Anyway, if I could recreate Jazzfanz the way I wanted....the home page would show 1- Jazz media tweets (so I didn't have to go to hoopshype), 2- the latest news stories from SLtrib, DesNews and the Ogden guy who occasionally scoops the other two. 3- Message board topics that were 'trending' and 4- Jazz player tweets.

If Jazzfanz was a one stop source for info it could bring in alot more followers. As just a message board it is competing against multiple jazz facebooks, Locke's google hangout thing, and the twitterverse.

Haha, I thought News Feed was Jodey Genessy trying to get some hits on his articles....

On the old Jazzfanz, before the new jazzfanz there was a sidebar with a bunch of links....one of them was a news feed. Of course there used to be links on the main page too right in the center if I remember right....

Anyway, if I could recreate Jazzfanz the way I wanted....the home page would show 1- Jazz media tweets (so I didn't have to go to hoopshype), 2- the latest news stories from SLtrib, DesNews and the Ogden guy who occasionally scoops the other two. 3- Message board topics that were 'trending' and 4- Jazz player tweets.

Good post, Mellow. I wouldn't want things to get overly cluttered, but those are good suggestions.

Good post, Mellow. I wouldn't want things to get overly cluttered, but those are good suggestions.

Right, I don't want a bunch of clutter either. I would like the few things I mentioned on the home page along with a path to the message boards. The message boards could remain essentially the same. Clean, clear and easy.

I think it's unnecessary. Most stuff in local news articles is old hat to us or fluff, and the good stuff already gets posted.

Then again, I don't read the news so I'm biased.

Also, if you're going to do it then try to recruit Beansdown so he won't post a duplicate thread for every news feed thread.

JASON HERE IS AN IDEA!!!

instead of a new thread for every article, why don't you just add a twitter widget that shows tweets by dedicated jazz writers? bill oram, jody gennesy, popular jazz blogs, etc.

I think it's worth trying out. If they clutter the board too much then perhaps you could put them in a different place on the website, as was the case back in the day.