What's new

Utah Jazz @ NY Knicks - 5:30 MST

My God, I was right about you. Took but one post and I was able to instantly figure you out.

You say you watched GOOD WILL HUNTING -- a fictional movie, for Christ's sake -- and it made you want to be a psychologist. I said earlier you want to be a detective, a Columbo. Clearly you saw a few episodes on the television and said, "Mommy, when I grow up I want to be a detective! I want to wear a raincoat and prove a guy on a Utah Jazz forum is not from New York. Mommy, can you tell Santa to bring me a raincoat for Christmas this year?"

Seriously, you watched a fictional movie and wanted to be that? What are you 12? Do you want to be Spiderman, too?
Never cared for your obvious troll/alt account but this is just childish.

Either momentum has a measurable outcome, in terms of scoring, or it does not. If the former, the outcome can be measured. If the latter, there is no need to take actions based on it.

I certainly don't deny the feeling of the Jazz having moment at critical parts of the game. For me, I have not seen a correlation between that feeling and the Jazz continuing to score. Even when it seems like they have momentum, the opponent often breaks it with couple of quick scores of their own. The feeling is part of being an interested observer, but that doesn't mean it is in response to a real thing.
I wouldn’t conflate the possibility of a measurable outcome with currently having a measurable outcome. For a long time, multiple sclerosis was thought to be psychiatric in nature, until we found out what it was and had better ways to “measure” it, so to speak. I’d suggest that what you’re saying is that because there isn’t currently a way in which we can reliably measure the relationship between momentum and performance, that therefore there is no relationship.

I'm a psychologist whose orientation at its base is psychodynamic but I've adapted to managed care settings by learning to treat symptoms via CBT and motivational interviewing. I'm most inspired by Carl Rogers and Viktor Frankl, but honestly, it was Robin Williams' role in "Good Will Hunting" that blew my ****ing mind about the immense and simple power of a meaningful relationship to change a person. This relationship is neither purely friendly and good nor adversarial and punitive: it's complex, a mix of hard truths and validating expressions. It's real. I'm dead serious, that movie is the reason I wanted to become a psychologist. And now I'm doing what I have always wanted, albeit in NYC and not Boston like that movie is based in, working with patients from really tough backgrounds in a large city hospital in Manhattan.

this was great to read-- you rock.

ps: Carl Rogers rocks. I worked at an inner-city clinic (most patients homeless, and/or indigenous) for two years before I started medical school, and a lot of the work I did was working with staff on educating them re: adverse childhood experiences, childhood trauma, and that whole field that was launched in the 90s.

I’d suggest that what you’re saying is that because there isn’t currently a way in which we can reliably measure the relationship between momentum and performance, that therefore there is no relationship.

Measuring it would be simple enough. Since it is based on layer/fan perception, you have multiple fans watch a game, over multiple games. have them record every team they think one team or the other has momentum. You can see both how well their views overlap here, and measure the effect on scoring over the next few minutes.

this was great to read-- you rock.

ps: Carl Rogers rocks. I worked at an inner-city clinic (most patients homeless, and/or indigenous) for two years before I started medical school, and a lot of the work I did was working with staff on educating them re: adverse childhood experiences, childhood trauma, and that whole field that was launched in the 90s.
You friggin rock, dude. We outchyea.