What's new

Utah Jazz Vs L.A. Lakers Oct.4th at 7pm

After the game NBATV went on for about 15 minutes about Kobe and The Lakers - I don't think they mentioned Utah once.

You'd think LAL played a team scrimmage.
I didn't see the game but from the highlights posted here I think the Lakers announcers did the broadcast which explains why they were not talking about Utah. As for the NBA highlights, different story.

I didn't see the game but from the highlights posted here I think the Lakers announcers did the broadcast which explains why they were not talking about Utah. As for the NBA highlights, different story.

The game was done by the LA announcers but after the game they went back to the NBATV Studios who went on and on about Kobe/Lakers ad infinitum.

I don't really care - I find it amusing more than anything else.

But seriously, I am reminded that of course we played the Luckers last night because, despite the blowout against them, they were the only team discussed in the highlight reel. Being a Jazz fan is psychologically hazardous.

Aint no hurt like Jazz hurt!

I didn't see the beginning of the game when apparently Burke made some shots. But what stood out to me was how horrible he played defense, especially in the second half when Lou Williams abused him. He doesn't get through screens at all and then after that, makes little effort to get after his man.

Fortunately, Quin subbed in Neto and what a difference. Not only that but Neto controlled the pace of the game and distributed much better. Burke also was getting blocked and forcing shots in the second half. If Quin had left him in, the Jazz would've lost. What a difference the point guard can make. After seeing that game, I seriously think the Jazz need to trade Burke and find a vet PG, either to be a temporary starter or backup and let Neto take over.

The game was done by the LA announcers but after the game they went back to the NBATV Studios who went on and on about Kobe/Lakers ad infinitum.

I don't really care - I find it amusing more than anything else.
Ahh. Yeah, the level of disrespect is almost entertaining. Almost. Problem is that it can put the Jazz at a disadvantage in certain refereeing situations, etc. as we already know all too well.

I like Neto as a starter since he is a far better defender and distributor than Burke. But he needs to be at least enough of a threat to make for a 5th option on the offense. Burke's game is simply better suited for the bench as he is more offensively minded (if not exactly offensively capable). If Neto proves he can score ~10 PPG with decent efficiency, then it is a no-brainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcwwFV0RnA

Need a bigger sample size but I was really impressed with Neto. Great vision, good court awareness, and had great defensive hands. He has a very different rhythm to the way he plays defense. Could tell it caught guys off guard. Again we need to see it more, but if he can replace what Dante gave us defensively that would be great. Offensively I think he will be a greater threat because he was willing to drive... it was obvious though that he was not driving to shoot, but just collapsing the defense has some offensive value.

I thought Trey looked good that first quarter. Seems to be faster and got out ahead of the defense a couple times. i think we will be fine at point guard but may have a bit of a conundrum with what to do with Burke. Traditional wisdom says bring him off the bench, but I think that gives him a license to chuck which is when he gets in trouble... But I really want to see what happens when you have a facilitator on offense (Dante was not that last year) who can also disrupt things at the point of attack when Favors and Gobert are sitting behind him.

I thought it was a good sign last night. I wish Trey would hit a couple more open shots though.

it was obvious though that he was not driving to shoot, but just collapsing the defense has some offensive value.

The problem is that defenses won't collapse once they realize you're not looking to score. That was one of Exum's biggest problems. Defenses just blocked the passing lanes when he drove, giving him an open path to the basket (which he didn't take advantage if). It really limited his utility on the offensive end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzcwwFV0RnA

Also, not shown was the play he got in trouble on the sideline (his handle was a bit loose last night) and he found Tibor under the basket who got fouled on the layup attempt... no idea how he saw him.

That kind of vision and defense hand work is unteachable and just difficult to do... how come he can do that stuff but can't shoot? Reminds me of Rubio... seems like it would be so much easier to learn shooting than the other stuff.