What's new

Utah Trade Deadline Discussion

He seems like a guy who would be faithful to the Jazz due to his family's history. I have faith Quin would get the most out of him. Do wish we got a 2nd though.

We are extremely poised right now for another big deal (today or in the summer).
5 key guys - Gobert, Mitchell, Ingles, Crowder and O'Neale are signed for the next two years:
2018-19 only $49 million combined
2019-20 only $51.5 million combined

We are very well positioned to do another big trade today that could impact 2018-19 and 2019-20 salaries. What could we get with Burks and Favors? There are a ton of possibilities.

If we don't get a pick in this deal or at least a pick swap, terrible trade.
How so? Hood wanted out. He wanted to be a starter and was hoping to get a big contract. While I agree that "when he plays," Hood can be a great player, he's injury and illness prone. Plus the uncertainty of what he'd be offered. While a lot of teams may not have cap room, teams like Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago and a few others will have significant cap room. And let's face it, the big stars aren't going to any of those. So big contracts (let's say in the $18m-$20m range) could very well be out there for Hood and Favors as the "next-tier down" FA's.

Better to get something for nothing. Crowder is definitely the equivalent of a first-round pick. I think Quin and staff can restore him to the player he was with Boston. Maybe he splits minutes at the 3/4. Trading Hood means O'Neale can get all his minutes backing up Mitchell at the 2.

If we don't get a pick in this deal or at least a pick swap, terrible trade.
How so? Hood wanted out. He wanted to be a starter and was hoping to get a big contract. While I agree that "when he plays," Hood can be a great player, he's injury and illness prone. Plus the uncertainty of what he'd be offered. While a lot of teams may not have cap room, teams like Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago and a few others will have significant cap room. And let's face it, the big stars aren't going to any of those. So big contracts (let's say in the $18m-$20m range) could very well be out there for Hood and Favors as the "next-tier down" FA's.

Better to get something for nothing. Crowder is definitely the equivalent of a first-round pick. I think Quin and staff can restore him to the player he was with Boston. Maybe he splits minutes at the 3/4. Trading Hood means O'Neale can get all his minutes backing up Mitchell at the 2.

I may have overreacted a little bit. I do like Crowder, but I think Hood has a much higher ceiling. If Hood gets better, I'd rather pay $15 million for a key player than have a bargain decent starter.

I love this trade if it opens the financial door for something bigger. I hope we keep dealing.

Crowder *does* have arguably the best contract in the NBA. The quality of first round pick we could return evidently wasn't very high.

My first reaction to the trade was "that's it?" but then I got to thinking
- we now have insurance on Favors leaving, with a PF who hopefully complements Rudy well
- he's on an incredible contract
- Rodney was sent to another conference (with George Hill! Pretty neat)

This comes down to Donovan being our PG of the future, and Rubio emerging, and the belief that we wouldn't be able to do at PF via the draft better than Jae Crowder.

I'm curious to see how this pans out. I don't think Rose will ever play a game for the Jazz-- this is primarily a salary-dump for Joe (poor Joe getting sent to the Kangz) and getting Crowder for Rodney

No to the last part.

In Boston he shot 40% from three, and got 1.4 points per shot (more than hayward, hayward just had a higher usage, and more shots), he's also a better defensive player than hayward was, he's a career positive dbpm, hayward has never had a single season of positive dbpm. He's Hayward lite in the sense that he can D up, shoot the 3, rebound, and assist. Lite because he does few of those thing as well as hayward did. He's not going to carry the team like Hay did, but he can provide some of those skillsets. (this is all assuming he can be the player he was in boston)

Makes me want a Burks for Carroll swap even more.

Gobert - Favors - Jerebko - Crowder - Carroll - Jingles - O’Neale - Mitchell - Rubio

That’s a fun defensive potent lineup that can still shoot pretty damn well. I think that there’s some matchup potential with teams like the Warriors and Rockets with that group. Plus, even with Hood gone, I don’t think that Burks is going to crack the rotation.

Crowder, Jerekbo, Ingles, O'Neale, and even Niang are enough in my mind for our PF spot.

I love Favors the man but I cringe at re-signing Favors the player for 2018 and beyond.

Only in certain lineups.

He's bulky at 240 pounds, but he's only got a 6'10" wingspan or so. He can't play the 4 a lot.

/credit to Cy for this, he made me look it up.

He isn't better than Ingles and has not been known to want to come off the bench. I think he will be used as small ball 4 almost exclusively. Cleveland and Boston don't have Gobert so i think it works.

I think Favs is also moved... I have no idea what is going on.

Eh shooting will be fine, Crowder can shoot. It's the creation Hood provides, and the PNR threat that will be missed.
On the other hand, we had a really nice win streak against really good competition while hood was out of the lineup. Maybe we dont really miss him much at all.

If Jae returns to Celtics version, then this is a good trade... I think. And Jae will become an expiring contract when the market loosens up a little... He could net us a 1st down the road, after playing some valuable minutes over the next 1.5 seasons +/-

this trade will take a while to judge.

if i had to guess, I'm thinking Rodney finally stays healthy for a few years and he kills it in the east.

i think it came down to "do we really pay big dollars to a player that we're not even starting at the 2" and the Jazz felt that the answer was no. As for first rounder vs. Jae, again it comes down to which firsts were being offered. If it was a lottery pick? Bad decision, probably. If it was things in the 20s it makes more sense.

Evidently, the Jazz are very very very fond of Jae Crowder and I suppose we should trust them on it