What's new

Utah @ USC, Sat. 10/26 2:00pm MT, PAC-12 Networks

The suckness has fully infected the FG kicker now that started last week. Hard part is Hays errr I mean Shulz had 3 open WR's one in the end zone but just ate the ball because he lacks any from his first INT.

At least jon hays didnt turn the ball over. Unlike Travis.

Will Hays play the rest of the year? Or will they burn the redshirt?

It's almost embarrassing how much faith the coaching staff has put in Travis Wilson and his broken hand (not to mention an O-line that cannot pass protect for ****).

At least that Stanford win was cool.

Going by the last two offensive performances the U might win one more game all year.

They ain't goin bowling, that's for sure.

How embarrassing would it be if the Utes end the season with just 1 PAC-12 win? They're regressing. And it probably should cost Whitnhis job. He's had more than enough time to get this QB and offense going.

At least jon hays didnt turn the ball over. Unlike Travis.

Will Hays play the rest of the year? Or will they burn the redshirt?

I think they should roll with what they've got considering they are 8 games in, but start Shutlz until Wilson can heal a little more. I don't think Arizona State or Oregon are going to be good confidence builders for somebody new coming in(though I think they could beat Arizona State if Wilson was somehow normal by then). Washington State and Colorado should still be winnable though. Go 6-6, get in a bowl. It wouldn't be a horrible year. The two year gap between Wilson and whoever is next is important I think.

Unbelievable. The typical Utah apologists on the media and online are already making excuses.

Well well well, if only Wilson hadn't gotten injured!

*sigh*

Gunther and the guys from The Zone and Trib.

As if Wilson wasn't an interception machine before? UCLA game anyone?

They ain't goin bowling, that's for sure.

How embarrassing would it be if the Utes end the season with just 1 PAC-12 win? They're regressing. And it probably should cost Whitnhis job. He's had more than enough time to get this QB and offense going.

They are regressing, but I don't think that it should cost Whit his job. The Utes have been hammered with significant injuries. I would hope that the Utes have a little more stability than firing Whit after an injury plagued season. College programs need stability.

I do not think they should burn the redshirt. Our hope is mighty slim against ASU and Oregon and the other two games are must wins just to get in a small bowl game. Don't burn a redshirt for the sake of burning a redshirt.

What happened to our o-line? They destroyed Stanford and then they were embarrassed against USC. You lose the line battle, you lose the game.

If Wilson cant throw the ball because of his finger (which has been banged up all year). He shouldn't be playing. However, I don't think that is his biggest problem. His biggest problem is that he stares down his receivers. He telegraphs where he is going to throw the ball. For him to become a good quarterback at the college level, he is going to need to learn to utilize pump fakes and he's going to have to check down to other receivers. Most of his interceptions have been off of tips because he has been throwing the ball into double and triple coverage. In short, I am more worried about Wilson's football IQ than I am of his finger, at least as far as next year is concerned.

For him to become a good quarterback at the college level, he is going to need to learn to utilize pump fakes and he's going to have to check down to other receivers. Most of his interceptions have been off of tips because he has been throwing the ball into double and triple coverage. In short, I am more worried about Wilson's football IQ than I am of his finger, at least as far as next year is concerned.

That's always been the big QB debate right? Can those traits really be learned/developed over time? Because there is a long list of QBS that came from privileged backgrounds, that had all the QB coaches and gurus growing up, put in the hours, looked like they had ample arm strength and technique, but still couldn't learn to read a defense and ultimately cratered. That's definitely the one paramount trait everybody should recruit for, and I'm not sure it's that easily identifiable because high school kids can get away with throwing wherever they want on the field a lot of the time, but it makes up for a lot of physical limitations/bad technique if somebody can do it properly.

Last edited:
I still think Utah is the better team, they just got a few unlucky bounces.

Just wait a few weeks, they'll get em in the polls.

They are regressing, but I don't think that it should cost Whit his job. The Utes have been hammered with significant injuries. I would hope that the Utes have a little more stability than firing Whit after an injury plagued season. College programs need stability.

I do not think they should burn the redshirt. Our hope is mighty slim against ASU and Oregon and the other two games are must wins just to get in a small bowl game. Don't burn a redshirt for the sake of burning a redshirt.

What happened to our o-line? They destroyed Stanford and then they were embarrassed against USC. You lose the line battle, you lose the game.

If Wilson cant throw the ball because of his finger (which has been banged up all year). He shouldn't be playing. However, I don't think that is his biggest problem. His biggest problem is that he stares down his receivers. He telegraphs where he is going to throw the ball. For him to become a good quarterback at the college level, he is going to need to learn to utilize pump fakes and he's going to have to check down to other receivers. Most of his interceptions have been off of tips because he has been throwing the ball into double and triple coverage. In short, I am more worried about Wilson's football IQ than I am of his finger, at least as far as next year is concerned.

I do think it's time to ask whether or not Whit should keep his job and I think that is more than fair. You say college football programs need stability, and while overall all I would agree, what good is "stability" when you know that stability is going to get you 2 or 3 conference wins per year?

I could also make an argument against stability (at least in the short term) Jim Mora has pulled UCLA from the abyss in a matter of a couple of years. Now I realize, it's easier to turn things around @ UCLA, but Whit has had much more time to position his team ahead of Mora's. Oregon is dealing with a coaching change (even if it was in-house) and hasn't seemed to miss a beat. Rich Rod has only been @ Zona for 2 years and has beaten down Whit both years. An interim HC just handed Whit his own *** this past Saturday.

Here's the bottom line on Whit: Outside of a nice run in 2008, his results have been "meh". I'm sure he's the guy if we were still playing in the MWC, but us Ute fans got what we wanted: A place at the big boy table. Problem is, now we want to hem and haw on whether or not Whit should be given a pass. Passes aren't handed out at any of the other big conference schools. Why should Utah be any different?

Also, I'm sick of the injury excuse. We've been injury riddled each of the first 3 years of PAC 12 play and every year it's the same thing: Next year this team will have more depth, next year this team will have more QB talent, and so on.....

Unless this team wins out (with the exception of Oregon), Chris Hill should be on the phone with the Northern Illinois coach the day the season ends.

I do think it's time to ask whether or not Whit should keep his job and I think that is more than fair. ....

Unless this team wins out (with the exception of Oregon), Chris Hill should be on the phone with the Northern Illinois coach the day the season ends.

Agreed. I like Whit and think he's a good coach, but there comes a time when the results need to be there. A lot of Ute fans are happy with them winning games against teams they should beat every time (Utah State, BYU, etc.) but the conference is where it's at. I'm not delusional enough to think they will be a contender each year, but I'd like to see them get to the point where they're comparable to UCLA, Arizona State, and Washington instead of Washington State and Colorado. If they get blown out by ASU (again) and lose to either Wazzu or CU, then it's time to really evaluate whether Whit is the guy for this team.