What's new

Utah-v-BYU

USC and Washington state both looked beatable this weekend. I'm less concerned than I was, but they could still beat Utah.

USC and Washington state both looked beatable this weekend. I'm less concerned than I was, but they could still beat Utah.
I think byu kinda showed the template on how to beat the usc offense (or at least slow it down).

Drop 7 or 8 into zone coverage. Dare them to run even if it means giving up some good run yardage. Hit their receivers and running backs hard and often (gang tackle)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Byu had 12 players on offense catch a pass. Holy ****

Plus they had two linebackers and one DB with interceptions bringing the total players with a catch up to 15. Thats got to come close to a record i would think.

My score predictions for the games this week.

Utah 35, USC 27. Im drinking the kool aid on the utes for one reason. Tyler huntleys efficiency. I think the key matchup for this game will be utahs o-line vs usc d-line.
BYU 28, washington 31. Another close game (didn't think this one would be very close when the year began but im also drinking the BYU kool aid) but I think washington is too talented and well coached where as USC was too talented but not well coached. I also think that byu is pretty banged up defensively for this one Zach Wilson is gonna have to have an amazing damn near perfect game for byu to win this one. My key matchup in this one will be the byu secondary vs the washington pass game.

I'll go with these as predictions.

BYU 27 Washington 24 I think our D will play strong again early with more scoring allowed later in the game.

Utah 24 USC 17 I think USC will have a harder time scoring and running on Utah. I also think Utah's offense doesn't make mistakes, but doesn't do much and that they get some scoring due to turnovers. Maybe a pick 6, or a turnover or two that gives them a short field.

Predictions:

USC- 24
Utah- 21

It seems right when I’m ready to bury Clay Helton and USC, they win 5 or 6 straight. While I certainly think Utah is more than capable of winning this game, I think USC benefits from the Freshman QB being back at home and has some fire in their belly after the BYU loss. I honestly think that had USC held on to win at BYU, they lose this game to Utah.

Washington- 27
BYU- 17

I think Washington is certainly beatable, and I also think BYU has the tools necessary to pull off the win, but my gut tells me to go with the better team who has one of the best coaches in the nation. Strangely enough, before the season started, the one thing I felt for sure about in regards to BYU was that Zach Wilson is awesome. 2 games in, I’ve flipped. I now feel like BYU’s team as a whole is more solid than I originally thought and that Zach has been kinda “meh”. He’s made a couple of timely plays, but he’s just looked “ok” overall. He’s still young, so obviously the jury’s still out and he’s probably suffering a bit from unrealistic expectations. I’m very interested to see how he progresses because I remember seeing Mangum as a Freshman and thinking “Wow, this kids gonna rewrite the BYU record books. And speaking from experience, Aaron Roderick doesn’t have the best record of developing college QB’s.

Also for the record, I hope both of my predictions are wrong. The USC game is a HUGE hurdle for Utah to clear should they win. After the first game of conference play, they’d basically be 2 games up on USC for the South and rising higher in the Top 10. As far as BYU, the better they are, the better Utah’s resume looks.

Predictions:

USC- 24
Utah- 21

It seems right when I’m ready to bury Clay Helton and USC, they win 5 or 6 straight. While I certainly think Utah is more than capable of winning this game, I think USC benefits from the Freshman QB being back at home and has some fire in their belly after the BYU loss. I honestly think that had USC held on to win at BYU, they lose this game to Utah.

Washington- 27
BYU- 17

I think Washington is certainly beatable, and I also think BYU has the tools necessary to pull off the win, but my gut tells me to go with the better team who has one of the best coaches in the nation. Strangely enough, before the season started, the one thing I felt for sure about in regards to BYU was that Zach Wilson is awesome. 2 games in, I’ve flipped. I now feel like BYU’s team as a whole is more solid than I originally thought and that Zach has been kinda “meh”. He’s made a couple of timely plays, but he’s just looked “ok” overall. He’s still young, so obviously the jury’s still out and he’s probably suffering a bit from unrealistic expectations. I’m very interested to see how he progresses because I remember seeing Mangum as a Freshman and thinking “Wow, this kids gonna rewrite the BYU record books. And speaking from experience, Aaron Roderick doesn’t have the best record of developing college QB’s.

Also for the record, I hope both of my predictions are wrong. The USC game is a HUGE hurdle for Utah to clear should they win. After the first game of conference play, they’d basically be 2 games up on USC for the South and rising higher in the Top 10. As far as BYU, the better they are, the better Utah’s resume looks.
Good post
In regards to Wilson, I think part of his struggles have been due to off season shoulder surgery. He should improve as the year goes on and that's what he has done so far. Game 1 was his worst game (credit Utah's defense), game 2 was a little better, and game 3 was pretty darn good.

A couple of nuggets about washingtons defense:
Washington's defense has a track record for limiting chunk plays to irregular occurrences. It's one reason why the Huskies have led the Pac-12 in scoring defense and total defense each of the last four seasons. (surprising considering the utes vaunted defense is also in the pac12)

Washington hasn't allowed an opponent to score 35 or more points in 59 consecutive games dating back to 2014. Just nine teams have even reached 30 points in that span.

A couple of nuggets about washingtons defense:
Washington's defense has a track record for limiting chunk plays to irregular occurrences. It's one reason why the Huskies have led the Pac-12 in scoring defense and total defense each of the last four seasons. (surprising considering the utes vaunted defense is also in the pac12)

Washington hasn't allowed an opponent to score 35 or more points in 59 consecutive games dating back to 2014. Just nine teams have even reached 30 points in that span.

You'd think the Utes would lead the Pac 12 in defensive scoring just by playing BYU each year alone.

You'd think the Utes would lead the Pac 12 in defensive scoring just by playing BYU each year alone.
I don't think byu is part of the PAC 12. Maybe that's where you are confused. They are independent.

Also they only play byu once, twice or zero times per year.

Last edited: