What's new

Walker Kessler highlights

The first step to being a good shooter is taking them in games... so I guess that is "promising". I wouldn't bank on him ever shooting and would focus his time and efforts on being awesome as a rim protector, moving better out on the floor, and being a strong pick setter and roll man. Have him work on his shot in his extra court time... not like he can't still work on that but focus on the other things. Take like 100 threes as a rookie or something around that number.

Everyone jokes about screen assists and the narrative went in a weird direction... but guys that will set a **** ton of screens and do so well and with energy are pretty rare. Especially when like 75% of the time it is freeing up other dudes and not benefitting your stat line. I remember watching a ton of WCS and he set the most lifeless screens... just remember thinking if he had that one thing from Rudy's game he would be a starting quality center. Its a thankless and hard job... I would drill it into Walker's head how effing important it is and show him clip after clip of Rudy setting a screen, diving, nothing happening, and watch him sprint to set the next one... and all of that was after he shut down the driver on defense, contested a shot, and then also worked back into the play to get the rebound.

I love Rudy and will miss him. I think he is in a better situation for success than he would be here... so I am happy for him.

I probably give too much credit to Alex Jensen, but I really do think he had a big part in Rudy developing the winning aspects of his game as well as the injury prevention aspects of his game. I think Jensen can have a similar effect on Kessler, but I could also see Jensen a little checked out this year.

I probably give too much credit to Alex Jensen, but I really do think he had a big part in Rudy developing the winning aspects of his game as well as the injury prevention aspects of his game. I think Jensen can have a similar effect on Kessler, but I could also see Jensen a little checked out this year.
IDK... if he is paid well I think he likes it in Utah and I think his wife is also from there. Not everyone needs to be the head coach. Don't know him at all so he might feel burned and ready for the next gig.

IDK... if he is paid well I think he likes it in Utah and I think his wife is also from there. Not everyone needs to be the head coach. Don't know him at all so he might feel burned and ready for the next gig.
He’s had a tremendous work ethic, from his playing days and through the start of what will be a great coaching career. He’s still young, and always been driven and a leader. He’s not the type to check out he just works harder imo

. I remember watching a ton of WCS and he set the most lifeless screens... just remember thinking if he had that one thing from Rudy's game he would be a starting quality center. Its a thankless and hard job... I would drill it into Walker's head how effing important it is and show him clip after clip of Rudy setting a screen, diving, nothing happening, and watch him sprint to set the next one... and all of that was after he shut down the driver on defense, contested a shot, and then also worked back into the play to get the rebound..
I'd just show him a picture of Rudy's contract.

I think he wants to be a HC for a NBA team. Dont think he has interest in settling for less. He seems to be close to being next up for someone.

I think he wants to be a HC for a NBA team. Dont think he has interest in settling for less. He seems to be close to being next up for someone.
Probably... I just am not sure he is like super disgruntled or mad enough to check out. Might be cool waiting a couple years in this market because of family ties... whereas another guy without those ties might want out. Highly paid assistant in a market you like is not a bad gig while you await your chance at something bigger.

Probably... I just am not sure he is like super disgruntled or mad enough to check out. Might be cool waiting a couple years in this market because of family ties... whereas another guy without those ties might want out. Highly paid assistant in a market you like is not a bad gig while you await your chance at something bigger.
He's still one of the lead assistants, and from what I've been told, one of the highest paid assistants in the NBA for the next 2 seasons. He got no reason to check out.

Not really in his character to check out