What's new

Walker Kessler Hype & Appreciation Thread

Will Hardy wore a highlighter yellow hoodie to a press conference which honestly distracted me a ton.... but I think I heard him say this about Walker:

"From a long-term perspective... I really believe Walker is somebody you can build a top level defense around"

Thats a big statement coming from a coach about a rookie who has started less than 20 games.

Will Hardy wore a highlighter yellow hoodie to a press conference which honestly distracted me a ton.... but I think I heard him say this about Walker:

"From a long-term perspective... I really believe Walker is somebody you can build a top level defense around"

Thats a big statement coming from a coach about a rookie who has started less than 20 games.
Yeah, Hardy is hard on young players he thinks have potential. He seems like an excellent coach to me.

Kessler is averaging 11 PPG, 11 RPG and 3.5 BPG on 71.6% from the field in his last 11 games. Just insane stuff and I can’t believe that he’s a rookie.
The crazy thing is he has a ton to improve on. He's got great rim touch, but he's probably one of the softer players his size in terms of being able to create contact to get to the foul line.

He's 5th in the league in blocks (in 21.6 minutes per game) and 3rd in blocks per minute (behind a dude who had 1 block in his 2 minutes of total playing time and JJJ). He also rebounds at the same rate as AD, Giannis and... Dok.
And 1st in 3pt fg%.

He's 5th in the league in blocks (in 21.6 minutes per game) and 3rd in blocks per minute (behind a dude who had 1 block in his 2 minutes of total playing time and JJJ). He also rebounds at the same rate as AD, Giannis and... Dok.
And 1st in 3pt fg%.
Yeah he might finish the season in 2nd place in blocks per game despite limited minutes and at around 13/13 for points/rebounds per 36. Really impressive.

And 1st in 3pt fg%.
He really is an underrated 3 point sniper. Curry better watch out, that career record might be in serious jeopardy when we finally fully unleash the Kessler.

He really is an underrated 3 point sniper. Curry better watch out, that career record might be in serious jeopardy when we finally fully unleash the Kessler.
Unlike volume chuckers like Steph and Dame, Walker carefully picks his moments (or rather picked his moment) to strike with perfect and deadly accuracy.

I'd love for him to get some post-ups on the block. I think he would do well there with his footwork.
I have seen a few times in the past oh dozen games or so that he had a good move to the basket, even took it from the top of they key, and it looked like his instinct was to go at the rim, then he stopped and held the ball and looked confused as he looked for someone to pass to. It makes me think he has been told not to do that, to not look for the shot. He did it a couple of times when he had the ball near the top of the key and had an open look, no one around him, and he looked like he was getting ready to shoot, but then took like a single dribble and looked to hand it off instead. I can't help but think he has been instructed not to take those shots, although I cannot fathom why. A few times he had a nice move to the rim, could have given himself a nice little hook shot or bank shot or even layup, but instead looked to pass. I wish they would foster his offense more. If you watch his college highlights he had some reasonably nice moves around the basket with some nice little flip shots off the backboard and even some nice finger-roll layups and such. He is not Olajuwan, but he can make those moves reasonably well. I wish he had the green light even a fraction as much as Clarkson does. When he has the ball all alone at the top of the key or has a back to the basket opportunity in the paint he should go with it, why not? What are we gaining by stifling that instinct in him to try to score?

I have seen a few times in the past oh dozen games or so that he had a good move to the basket, even took it from the top of they key, and it looked like his instinct was to go at the rim, then he stopped and held the ball and looked confused as he looked for someone to pass to. It makes me think he has been told not to do that, to not look for the shot. He did it a couple of times when he had the ball near the top of the key and had an open look, no one around him, and he looked like he was getting ready to shoot, but then took like a single dribble and looked to hand it off instead. I can't help but think he has been instructed not to take those shots, although I cannot fathom why. A few times he had a nice move to the rim, could have given himself a nice little hook shot or bank shot or even layup, but instead looked to pass. I wish they would foster his offense more. If you watch his college highlights he had some reasonably nice moves around the basket with some nice little flip shots off the backboard and even some nice finger-roll layups and such. He is not Olajuwan, but he can make those moves reasonably well. I wish he had the green light even a fraction as much as Clarkson does. When he has the ball all alone at the top of the key or has a back to the basket opportunity in the paint he should go with it, why not? What are we gaining by stifling that instinct in him to try to score?
Agree with all of this, which is why they should let him develop this aspect of his game. I think he has good enough footwork to command a double team in many situations. Basketball is such a mental/confidence game, let him build it up now and it will pay dividends in the future. I'd also like to see him learn to make the right pass after getting the ball on the post. I'd much rather see Kessler make a bad play while developing a post game that some of the early clock forced bs we have seen from Clarkson.

I would much rather see Kessler get more freedom and touches in the post than letting him take a three. While I'd like him to develop a 3, I'd rather see him refine his post game, and FT shooting first.