What's new

Walker Kessler Should No Longer Play Until KO is Traded

He's actually done a decent job guarding wings this season. I see your point though, asking him to do it more often might wear him down and negatively impact his offense. Just trying to figure out a way to get Kessler in the starting lineup, and I really don't think him and Vando can be on the floor together.
For sure, but I dont think you want your best player having to become the primary wing defender when that's not his primary defensive position. It's something he can do, but I wouldnt make him start games doing that.

Walker just has to come off the bench until a trade or injury happens. The Ivory Towers can work, but I dont think it's something you want to start with.

I'm getting hyped about the "trade for John Collins" idea. I hope they find a good price point.

Oh and its not because I think John Collins is gonna be a star... he just unlocks the next big star that we might have in Kessler. Collins might be great, but thats not the point.

I'm getting hyped about the "trade for John Collins" idea. I hope they find a good price point.

Oh and its not because I think John Collins is gonna be a star... he just unlocks the next big star that we might have in Kessler. Collins might be great, but thats not the point.
So where do you play him? And don't say spacing the floor or in the corner. That's what he wants to get away from.

We don't want him dominating the interior or acting as the primary screener in pick and rolls.

So where do you play him? And don't say spacing the floor or in the corner. That's what he wants to get away from.

We don't want him dominating the interior or acting as the primary screener in pick and rolls.
We move our guys around running motion and read and react so much, that I dont see us having a set or a zone system. Kessler is less flexible, so what I mainly see in Collins is somewhat similar flexibility like Lauri has. Both are 3 level scorers that can get to the rim in a hurry but also punish from the 3. They both create space, and both benefit from space created by the other.

So here JC is not stuck to spacing duties, just like no one else is. Lauri likely draws the guy who would be the opponents top defender for Collins as well, which is why I believe he will have success. And he will also enable Lauri and our guards to do more, as he commands more defensive focus in the frontcourt than Vando. Also might force opponents to run more defensive frontcourt lineups against us, which helps us in the other end of the court.

I would also run set plays with him, based on chemistry and skillsets. Not primary pick and roll guy, but definitely off ball screen and cut and some pick and roll as well. In an ideal world, he and Lauri would have chemistry between them to run plays in the frontcourt as well.

But I will be the first to admit that this might all be fools gold. I'm just hyped about Kessler and cannot see a way we get him significantly more minutes with our current roster. Triple Ivory Towers and Kendo (Kessler+Vando) both feel wrong.

I stand corrected. He got more minutes than rudy last night and the way he played probably earned his spot in the rotation over rudy. You would think so at least

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
It was also Gay's first night from injury and he played OK. I think Hardy is going to continue to spread minutes around, sit some of the back end guys some nights, play them others, etc.

Thats just nuts

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
It's freaking awesome is what it is. The kid is solid already and the potential to pick up the scoring he had in college is tantalizing. In 4-6 years he will be a force, solid starter, maybe more. Loved having him start. I would start him over Vando personally, give us a 3 7-footer line-up, 4-out offense, with rim protection. That's tough.

It was also Gay's first night from injury and he played OK. I think Hardy is going to continue to spread minutes around, sit some of the back end guys some nights, play them others, etc.
Gay plays his best when making season debuts or coming back from injury... then its all downhill from there.

Gay plays his best when making season debuts or coming back from injury... then its all downhill from there.
So you are saying we should play him for 3 games, kick him out for 4-6 games with an "injury" then play him 3 games again, timing it so he is "returning from injury" right when we need him to have a big game in the playoffs. I can get behind that.

It's freaking awesome is what it is. The kid is solid already and the potential to pick up the scoring he had in college is tantalizing. In 4-6 years he will be a force, solid starter, maybe more. Loved having him start. I would start him over Vando personally, give us a 3 7-footer line-up, 4-out offense, with rim protection. That's tough.
He's also very poised and just calm. I still think there is a limit on his ceiling/upside but love what I've seen so far. If he was a better version of Poeltl that would be amazing. He seems to be about all the right things.

He's also very poised and just calm. I still think there is a limit on his ceiling/upside but love what I've seen so far. If he was a better version of Poeltl that would be amazing. He seems to be about all the right things.
There probably is a limit on his upside, but really who knows? Who would have EVER imagined Lopez as a front-runner for DPOY? Kessler has shown an ability to get shots off quickly and accurately at the rim, with some little layups and small hook shots. And in college he was taking 3's, not many but he has good form. Once he gets comfortable I could see him adding a mid-range wrinkle to his game. Could surprise all of us. Hell he has surprised us so far. We'll see. Either way, it is fun to watch right now.

I totally saw the Poetl comps before the season started, but I dont really see them anymore. Has he even attempted a baby hook all season?

He really is a more finesse/smaller version of Rudy. Not trying to say he is soft, there's just less dunk finishing and more touch finishes, but still off the same kind of looks Gobert got. Will there be any attempt to ever put him in the post? Will he ever take a jumper? I have no idea, but it's still kind of wild to me they never try these things with him.

I totally saw the Poetl comps before the season started, but I dont really see them anymore. Has he even attempted a baby hook all season?

He really is a more finesse/smaller version of Rudy. Not trying to say he is soft, there's just less dunk finishing and more touch finishes, but still off the same kind of looks Gobert got.
Yeah but Gobert always looked clunky with those short shots and layups, even put-backs that weren't dunks looked awkward and stiff. Kessler is way more fluid than Rudy in that regard. I see that as a good sign, he feels more comfortable with the ball in his hands under the basket.

Yeah but Gobert always looked clunky with those short shots and layups, even put-backs that weren't dunks looked awkward and stiff. Kessler is way more fluid than Rudy in that regard. I see that as a good sign, he feels more comfortable with the ball in his hands under the basket.
Well yeah, you trade all time length for something that is more fluid, but I still think Gobert had underrated fluidity on his layups and rim rolls. Gobert had some super awkward moments and I feel like those standout in people's minds more than all the stuff he did really well with the ball.

I still feel like we havent gotten a great sample size of Walker in traffic and with tougher finishes where he really has to go through/over people (but that's also a testament to Walker having great positioning IQ of being able to put himself in easy situations plus we have great spacing). We've kind of decided that Walker has infallible hands, but I do feel like he has yet to be really tested. This is probably nitpicky, but w/e. Walker has been very exciting and it will be cool to see how far he can take his playstyle of if he is able to expand it.

If Gobert did this in the clutch people would have freaked out tho, but for some reason we glance over it with Walker and accept that he has great hands: https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CF...g=1&title=Kessler Lost Ball Turnover (P1.T16)

Well yeah, you trade all time length for something that is more fluid, but I still think Gobert had underrated fluidity on his layups and rim rolls. Gobert had some super awkward moments and I feel like those standout in people's minds more than all the stuff he did really well with the ball.

I still feel like we havent gotten a great sample size of Walker in traffic and with tougher finishes where he really has to go through/over people (but that's also a testament to Walker having great positioning IQ of being able to put himself in easy situations plus we have great spacing). We've kind of decided that Walker has infallible hands, but I do feel like he has yet to be really tested. This is probably nitpicky, but w/e. Walker has been very exciting and it will be cool to see how far he can take his playstyle of if he is able to expand it.

If Gobert did this in the clutch people would have freaked out tho, but for some reason we glance over it with Walker and accept that he has great hands: https://www.nba.com/stats/events?CFID=&CFPARAMS=&GameEventID=601&GameID=0022200372&Season=2022-23&flag=1&title=Kessler Lost Ball Turnover (P1.T16)
I wasn't slighting Gobert, I want him back on this team and would sacrifice Kessler in a heartbeat if we could do that. I was just noting that as a rookie Kessler is already smoother with the ball on offense than Gobert is now after 9 years in the NBA. That is just a fact.

While I dont think KO is the answer between Lauri and Kessler, I do like the idea that if Lauri develops his defense and aggressiveness while Kessler develops his scoring and physicality, we might end up having two solid 7" bigs who can defend, block, average double figures in boards and score around or even well above the 20 point mark.

Thats a damn good looking prospect in the first year of a rebuild. And they are not clogging up our cap space in a while, even though Lauri might get a pretty nice bag if he keeps this up.