What's new

Walker Kessler Should No Longer Play Until KO is Traded

Agreed. The reason I asked is because before last night's game Hardy said Kessler starting in place of Vanderbilt was in no way a permanent thing.

View: https://twitter.com/tribjazz/status/1600647679343665154

either he's full of crap, made the decision after saying that, locke is up in the night, etc, because hardy won't start vanderbilt and kessler on the same night. can't have two dudes who can't create offense starting at the same time. .

either he's full of crap, made the decision after saying that, locke is up in the night, etc, because hardy won't start vanderbilt and kessler on the same night. can't have two dudes who can't create offense starting at the same time. .

Yeah, could just be Locke speculating about what he thinks might happen, not necessarily what will happen.

I would love for Kessler to start but it’s pretty vital for vando to start when lauri is playing. Vando’s versatility on defense lets lauri get mismatches on offense as a 3, but play defense as a 4.

And as mentioned, it’s tough to start vando and Kessler. You need two guys that are hyper mobile to make that work (aka Allen and Mobley) but I don’t think Kessler can do that

Also anybody saying Kessler and gobert are in the same stratosphere is tripping.

Kessler is great and will probably be an amazing player, but the defensive impact isn’t comparable right now. Rudy is a generational talent who erases so much before it even happens whereas Kessler is a good rim defender and shot blocker.

I personally, against all evidence to suggest otherwise, would rather Vando start with Kessler than Olynyk, I get the offensive limitation reasons but the defensive limitations of Olynyk cannot be overlooked either. Conley, Clarkson and Lauri space the floor well enough IMO that to make up the difference of allowing 2 plus defenders and rebounders on the floor at the same time.

For his size and position, Olynyk is not a plus defender nor rebounder IMO. Also maybe getting more minutes against bench units would help lessen Olynyk's weaknesses (like picking up fouls and his 1-3 dumbass turnovers he has every game), as well as it would give the bench unit a ball mover and floor spacer to go with THT or NAW (I prefer NAW until THT decides to commit to playing consistent defense).

I'm impressed by Kessler, he is such a good player. If he can become a bit mre agressive, he will have a very good career in NBA. Definitly a great rookie season for him.

Still want him to buy into the Rudy Gobert/Enes Kanter body shaping plan that Utah had rolling back then. Those two completely transformed themselves into much stronger, more athletic players.

Would love to see Kessler take that kind of jump as well now that he’s in the pros. Seems like he has the work ethic to get there.

I personally, against all evidence to suggest otherwise, would rather Vando start with Kessler than Olynyk, I get the offensive limitation reasons but the defensive limitations of Olynyk cannot be overlooked either. Conley, Clarkson and Lauri space the floor well enough IMO that to make up the difference of allowing 2 plus defenders and rebounders on the floor at the same time.

For his size and position, Olynyk is not a plus defender nor rebounder IMO. Also maybe getting more minutes against bench units would help lessen Olynyk's weaknesses (like picking up fouls and his 1-3 dumbass turnovers he has every game), as well as it would give the bench unit a ball mover and floor spacer to go with THT or NAW (I prefer NAW until THT decides to commit to playing consistent defense).

Im just wishing they will trade KO

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I was posting kessler stuff in the neggets gamethread so im gonna put here where it belongs.

I mean Kessler is basically our second best player already (Lauri is our best) if you are talking about production and consistency.

If you want to win then you play your best players more. I domt care who the opponent is, i dont care who else is on the floor. Kessler has played better than everyone not named Lauri and should be on the court more.

Last night was probably Olynyks season low in minutes (16) and we just so happen to have our best game of the season and won the game primarily by defense and rebounding (we outrebounded them by 16!)
Kessler had 16 rebounds (6 offensive) and vando had 14 (8 offensive)

Maybe playing those two together more (and playing olynyk less) can actually work. Maybe we can win by outworking teams and defending teams and crashing the glass. Having conley/NAW, clarkson/beasely, and Lauri/KO out there with vando and kessler would provide enough spacing. Vando is a ball mover and a good cutter and kessler can set good screens and rim run and finish. Then of course we would be much better defensively. Those things have value too.

All I know is that kessler has played himself into the second best player on the team imo. Dude knows his role and plays it perfectly. I would love to see if he can handle more.

I just looked up his stats. He is shooting a ridiculous 73% from the field! For context, that is a way better field goal % than rudy gobert ever had in any of his 10 seasons.

Kessler is averaging 4 blocks per 36. Goberts best season for blocks per 36 is 3.4.

Dude is killing it yet cant seem to ever get more than 22-23 minutes in a game. (Averages 16.9). He almost never gets in foul trouble despite his amazing defense. I remember someone posted a stat a few games ago that we are the best defense in the league when kessler is on the court. Thats crazy. Many of his stats are crazy. He is basically already prime rudy gobert as a rookie.

Kessler is paid 2.6 million, 2.8 million, 2.9 million and 4.8 million and we control his rights for like the next 7 years iirc. He is 21 years old.

He might be the most valuable asset we got in the trades we made. Obviously we have a ton of picks that might be better but kessler is right at the top currently. Lauri is the better player for sure but when you account for age and contract kessler might be the better asset