What's new

Warriors @ Jazz FSN 7pm MST

Chad Feldheimer

Updated Feb 16, 2011 2:20 AM ET

Two games into the post-Jerry Sloan era, the Utah Jazz are winless.

One more defeat, and they'll do something that last happened nearly six years before Sloan became Utah's coach.

The scuffling Jazz look to avoid losing five straight home games for the first time in nearly 30 years
. Wednesday night when they face a surging Golden State Warriors team they've routinely beaten in Salt Lake City

Sloan, Utah's coach since December 1988, abruptly retired following a loss to Chicago last Wednesday, and the Jazz (31-25) have dropped their first two games under Tyrone Corbin - both to Phoenix. They're just 4-12 since Jan. 17, falling from third in the Western Conference and atop the Northwest Division to eighth in the West and five games back of division-leading Oklahoma City.

In Tuesday's 102-101 loss in Phoenix, Utah seemed to be in control, leading by eight with less than 7 minutes to play, but was outscored 21-12 the rest of the way. Al Jefferson had a season-best 32 points after scoring four on 2 of 14 shooting in Friday's 95-83 home loss to the Suns.

"We played a lot better a lot longer than we did the other night,'' Corbin said. "The guys will continue to work on the things we've been working in practice the last couple days and we are going to turn the corner. As long as we continue to fight and bring the effort, we'll make shots and we'll get some wins.''

Another loss in their final game before the All-Star break, however, would be hard to swallow.

The Jazz have dropped four straight in Utah since an 83-78 win over Charlotte on Jan. 31, and haven't lost five consecutive home games since a franchise-worst 12-game skid Feb. 15-March 29, 1982.

Utah has lost two of three to the Warriors (25-29) this season, but both of those defeats came at Oracle Arena. The Jazz beat Golden State 108-95 in Salt Lake City on Dec. 13, and have won eight of the last nine meetings there.

In the teams' last meeting on Jan. 30, two-time All-Star Deron Williams sat out with a hyperextended right wrist and the Warriors won 96-91, despite a season-low two points on 1 of 9 shooting from Monta Ellis. Stephen Curry carried the Warriors with 27 points.

That victory over Utah started Golden State's current run.

The Warriors defeated New Orleans 102-89 on Tuesday, and have won six of eight, with five of those victories coming against teams with winning records.

Surprisingly, Golden State's defense has keyed this turnaround. The Warriors, fourth-worst in opponents' scoring at 105.6 points, have limited teams to fewer than 100 points in five of their past six wins.

"It's all been about effort,'' Golden State's David Lee said.

Although the Warriors are playing much better, most of that success has come at home. They've dropped three straight road games and are 6-18 away from Oracle Arena.

At Salt Lake City in December, Ellis had another subpar performance, finishing with 16 points - 9.2 less than his team-leading average.

Williams led all scorers with 30 points in that game, while C.J. Miles added 20 on 9 of 14 shooting. Miles didn't fare nearly as well in the two losses to Golden State, however, totaling 19 points on 6 of 24 from the field.

Jazz are a 5 point favorite.

I love Ty's positive outlook in the above quote. Hopefully the players trust and play hard for him. I'm guessing he gets his first win as head coach tonight.

This is a game that the Jazz should win. In the past this was a game that would be a win no matter what. But with GS playing well and the Jazz playing like they have been who knows. They really need to win this game for the mental part of it though.

I am afraid down to 9 players with 3 of our top 7 guys out will equal a L. Hope we cover their 3pt shooters.

I think we grind out a win finally setting the wheels in motion to a title run. D-Will needs to rejuvenate on this break. He's identified his personal problems and is attempting to move on. Everyone must agree that we can only be great if he's great.

Perfect Paul also will benefit greatly from this long break. We need him to produce regularly. I'm confident he will.

Let's get into the break on a high note! Let's get it tonight!

Go Jazz!!

Hey Im playing SirKickyAss in fantasy this week, and I need to know if you all think AK will play tonight?

Hey Im playing SirKickyAss in fantasy this week, and I need to know if you all think AK will play tonight?

He's already been ruled out.

And back to the game thread, I think the best part of this game is the fact that the Break comes right after it. We need some time off right now.

AK is so weak.
What a glass man you are AK.

This has been your biggest downfall. Not your work ethic, your inconsistency, your jump shot, or your weak finishes at the rim.
Your inability to stay heathy has killed your career.

We can't even trade your sorry *** because you are down again...it's funny that your hand that collects and cashes paychecks never breaks.

Hmm, David Lee is a tough matchup for Millsap on the defensive end. Biedrins does a decent job on Jefferson. CJ Miles can't guard Monta or Curry. So I hope we put Hayward on Curry and Deron on Monta. CJ will have to guard Dorell Wright. I hope Earl Watson is up to a bunch of minutes again tonight.

We really need Fess to play with some energy tonight.

On the postive side of things we made a better effort to run the offense last night. Hopefully we can just continue to improve of screening and cutting.

This has been your biggest downfall. Not your work ethic, your inconsistency, your jump shot, or your weak finishes at the rim.
Your inability to stay heathy has killed your career.

I think his injuries truly are his Achilles heel as a player (sort of an interesting pun there). Here's a staggering tweet from Locke:

Over the last 5 seasons Andrei Kirilenko has only played 20 consecutive games 6 times and no stretch longer than 32 games.

What on earth happened to Bell that he's out this long? And will it be a nagging injury? And will he turn back into the early season Bell who couldn't score or do much else, as opposed to the improved Bell of his last few games prior to injury?

What on earth happened to Bell that he's out this long? And will it be a nagging injury? And will he turn back into the early season Bell who couldn't score or do much else, as opposed to the improved Bell of his last few games prior to injury?

Right after Sloan announced his retirement Raja got his spirit broken.
Out 2-3 weeks, those things are slow to heal.

Is it bad that I have virtually no interest left in the season and hope we lose out?

I hope not.

Cuz I literally avoid watching games now. I barely have any interest. This team not only sucks, but it angers and frustrates me. I personally prefer to watch tivoed episodes of The Office and Castle now during Jazz games. Or do homework. Or work...

Hmm, David Lee is a tough matchup for Millsap on the defensive end. Biedrins does a decent job on Jefferson. CJ Miles can't guard Monta or Curry. So I hope we put Hayward on Curry and Deron on Monta. CJ will have to guard Dorell Wright. I hope Earl Watson is up to a bunch of minutes again tonight.

We really need Fess to play with some energy tonight.

On the postive side of things we made a better effort to run the offense last night. Hopefully we can just continue to improve of screening and cutting.

Be nice if Elson started playing decently again, but his injury may be slowing him. GS not a good match up for Fes so doubt we will see him to much.

Steph Curry has to come into games against the Jazz really licking his chops. Talk about a golden example (****.. just realized the unintentional pun) of a team that will give you open jumpers.. Curry might go off tonight.