What's new

Was Fes' Play Last Night An Aberration?

and maybe you should take a read of the AJ benching thread. Very few people are calling for Fes to take over starting at the 5. The overwhelming sentiment in that thread is that AJ will figure it out in time, and that hopefully this game serves as a wakeup call.

Right now, Fes probably does deserve some of AJ's minutes. Being of that opinion hardly makes someone a fanboy.

Keep flappin your gums in the wind baby. You're eating just as much crow as the other negative nellies!

OK, I'll say this once more. I like Fess, always have. I have repeatedly complimented him in this thread.

I also like the Jazz, as a TEAM, not just one player on it.

I don't care fir those who ONLY seem to care about one player, who think anyone who doesn't agree with them are "haters," and want to denigrate anyone who is "competing" with their boy for playin time.

It's the Utah Jazz, not the Utah Fesenko's.

Who are these imaginary people you're talking about (other than IGS, who hasn't been heard from tonight)?

and maybe you should take a read of the AJ benching thread. Very few people are calling for Fes to take over starting at the 5. The overwhelming sentiment in that thread is that AJ will figure it out in time, and that hopefully this game serves as a wakeup call.

Right now, Fes probably does deserve some of AJ's minutes. Being of that opinion hardly makes someone a fanboy.

Commie, I really wasn't includin you as a fanboy. I was basing some of my comments on statements made in chat, and elsewhere (like earlier in this thread), by the reigning Fess homers: Kicky, Jazz 4, Vinny,, and, lately, this NC guy.

There is no argument that Fes doesn't help us more than Elson. The only question is whether Jerry has learned from past mistakes and will play the better player. I actually think Jerry has learned and we've seen the last of Elson's regular minutes. As long as that happens, I don't care what the underlying thought process was.

I can't even say that Fess played well, did his job, and made a valuable contribution without bein accused of "ridiculous hate," because I haven't proclaimed Fess to the the Jazz's saviour.

Most (all?) of those guys just think Fes deserves some regular minutes, especially when AJ is struggling. Their opinions don't seem to be nearly as fanboyishly myopic as IGS's. They have valid reasons (as far as I can tell). It's a rare thing in recent years for a Jazz 5 to be a difference maker defensively. It's pretty ****ing refreshing.

Most (all?) of those guys just think Fes deserves some regular minutes, especially when AJ is struggling. Their opinions don't seem to be nearly as fanboyishly myopic as IGS's. They have valid reasons (as far as I can tell). It's a rare thing in recent years for a Jazz 5 to be a difference maker defensively. It's pretty ****ing refreshing.
It's nice to see some additional sanity in your statements, TICC. How convenient that your sanity spike begins when what I have been lobbying for endlessly makes a significant difference in victory.

However, the core of my argument has been that "Fes deserves some regular minutes," too. I have repeatedly stated, as recently as early in the game, that giving Fes scraps--even when he does well--yet giving AJ extra minutes--when his effort and performance were subpar--is inconsistent. Your claim of my myopia is a bit nearsighted, however, as I have made it clear for most of the season that I thought the more minutes from a center--not necessarily Fes--would be an upgrade.

Kudos to Sloan for making a change. It was a good choice, too, to take Fes out and put in Elson for that couple of minutes, and Elson came through with clutch FT that Fes would be harder pressed to execute. I would like such strategy to happen sooner. Fortunately Utah came up with a couple of wins late even though the players' focus and the coaches' adjustments took a quarter or two to take hold.

Jerry has learned from past mistakes and will play the better player. I actually think Jerry has learned and we've seen the last of Elson's regular minutes. As long as that happens, I don't care what the underlying thought process was.

Everybuddy here likes to think and act like they know twice as much as Sloan, eh? Sloan has profusely, and repeatedly, praised Fess's talent, while questioning his focus at times. People want to know why Fess has't played more in this 2-week old season, without even considering that Fess has already missed time on 3 different occasions with "indisgestion."

Sloan aint stoopid, and Fess has the potential to be a great player for the Jazz. Don't mean he was an all-star his first year, and don't mean one game foretells the entire future.

Guys like Bell can play tough defense, draw several charges, and make other contributions, but if he misses 2 shots, the extremists here declare that he is "washed up," and "useless." Other players (who they like) can make even the most modest of postive contributions and be praised to the heavens.

I don't like the extremism, pro or con, and I don't care for the "Sloan is an idiot, while I'm a genius" mentality either. Just me, no doubt.

Hopper you are quickly losing any credibility you might have had.

Everybuddy here likes to think and act like they know twice as much as Sloan, eh? Sloan has profusely, and repeatedly, praised Fess's talent, while questioning his focus at times. People want to know why Fess haven't played more in this 2-week old season, without even considering that Fess haa already missed time on 3 different occasions with "indisgestion."

Sloan aint stoopid, and Fess has the potential to be a great player for the Jazz. Don't mean he was an all-star his first year, and don't mean one game foretells the entire future.

Guys like Bell and play tough defense, draw several charges, and make other contributions, but if he misses 2 shots, the extremists here declare that he is "washed up," and "useless." Other players (who they like) can make even the most modest of postive contributions and be praised to the heavens.

I don't like the extremism, pro or con, and I don't care for the "Sloan is an idiot, while I'm a genius" mentality either. Just me, no doubt.

I'm sorry. If my breath stinks it is because your post made me throw up. Quit spreading ******** when it comes to Fes. Fes was out 1 game with "gastric distress". Period. Quit spreading lies and other crap. Fes went to the shootaround and told the team of his illness. He didn't call it in like most people would. He was highly encouraged to eat 2 protein bars washed down with some Gatorade. 10 minutes later he was puking. 5 times he puked until there was only bile left. Even then he told the team doctor he wanted to try and play that night but the doctor declined to allow him to play. He went back to the arena at 5:45 pm, was checked out by the doctor and told to go home.

Fes was back at practice the next day and ready to play in the next game. The only other games he missed this year were from an injury to his wrist and fingers. Fes is not the savior of the team. He is not a team unto itself. Being a fan doesn't make any of that so. I've even argued that he has a lot of improvement yet to do on more than one occasion but you need to quit distorting the truth.

Go 4, I didn't say Fess missed three games. I said he missed time (game or practice) on 3 different occasions in the last two weeks. If that's a lie (and you always seem to know more about everything than any one else in the world when it comes to Fess) then go tell the papers who reported it.

Go ahead and show me the papers who reported it. I dare you, because it wasn't said. Period. I don't know everything about everybody but those who know me can tell you that I know exactly what Fes does or doesn't do. So put up or shut up. Show me and everyone else here where Fes has missed game or practice time due to illness 3 times in the last two weeks. Please show me.

Go ahead and show me the papers who reported it. I dare you, because it wasn't said. Period. I don't know everything about everybody but those who know me can tell you that I know exactly what Fes does or doesn't do. So put up or shut up. Show me and everyone else here where Fes has missed game or practice time due to illness 3 times in the last two weeks. Please show me.

I probably misread something, I'm not sure now. The report might have been that 3 jazz players (not just Fesenko) had missed games due to "gastric distress" in the last two weeks. The following account notes that Fess had missed one game and was questionable" for the next game:

"The Jazz's starting power forward, however, is listed as probable to play against the Warriors in the 8:30 p.m. contest after getting hurt in Wednesday's game. Kyrylo Fesenko (gastric distress) and Jeremy Evans (sprained right wrist) will be game-time decisions Friday. Both missed Utah's 125-108 victory over Toronto.Evans worked out before practice in the weight room and did cardio, but did not actually practice with the team. Fesenko participated fully, which he believes will help his health situation. "I feel better, still kind of weak, but it's going to pass," Fesenko said.

I don't recall offhand just where I got the impression that Fess had "gastric distress," as opposed to other injuries, so I'll retract the statement. I may have been confused by this addition to the article, I dunno:

"[Fesenko missed] 14 games because of injuries and illnesses last season. Five absences on four separate occasions were due to stomach viruses."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...Fesenko-and-Jeremy-Evans-to-be-game-time.html

Williams on the team sticking together: "This was a team win. Paul put us on his back offensively, but everybody won this game. … I can say that everybody on the team that got in helped us."

Williams referred to Kyrylo Fesenko as a "space eater" whose big body makes an immediate impact for the Jazz. Williams also praised contributions by Francisco Elson, Ronnie Price and C.J. Miles

Al Jefferson on not playing during overtime and his thought process: "That we had a chance to win. I feel like at the end of third, beginning of the fourth, we had a great group out there who was doing great things, and we've got to roll with that group. Fes was out there; playing some good defense; active. We just have to roll with that. I was just sitting back there, just cheering my team on, and hoping we'd get this victory."

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsjazznotes/50644497-62/game-half-millsap-bell.html.csp

Kinda funny that Williams is willing to give credit to more than just one player, and not simply focus on only the good (or bad) that one player did; and that Jefferson doesn't bad mouth his teammates just because he didn't play more, ya know?

Then again, they are part of a team. If someone here suggests that more than one player made a valuable contribution, it's indicative of "ridiculous hate."

Everybuddy here likes to think and act like they know twice as much as Sloan, eh? Sloan has profusely, and repeatedly, praised Fess's talent, while questioning his focus at times. People want to know why Fess has't played more in this 2-week old season, without even considering that Fess has already missed time on 3 different occasions with "indisgestion."
Well go4jazz clarified that your '3 different occasions" claim was really 1 or 2, and that doesn't explain the other times when he was healthy but didn't smell the floor.

There were plenty of games to foretell Fes's future, and nobody is saying Fes is an All-Star. Some people might be saying that he's a 15- to 20-plus-minute player who can make a net positive impact, despite low scoring, and that he is definitely less bad or better than the garbage that Jefferson has been producing.

Whew! Glad that I don't fit in that category.

Funny that you don't like the extremism but you're willing to litter your posts with hyperbole (e.g., the ridiculous claim that ANYONE has been lobbying that Fes is gonna be an All-Star in this very same post above).

...he is definitely less bad or better than the garbage that Jefferson has been producing.

Al has scored 27 pts (and 23, and 20) in games this year. He has had 15 rebound games, and is averaging 10/game. He is a proven scorer and rebounder in this league, with 6 solid years in the league.

But, to the Fess homer, it is all "garbage" and Fess has "proven" himself to be better than both Memo and Millsap too.

Heh.