What's new

We got Jordan Clarkson for Dante Exum

What would it take to turn Ed Davis into Richaun Holmes

Quick somebody get Vivek drunk and drag him into an empty gym with Ed and have Ed chuck a few jumpers. Convince him Ed is the next great shooter and its a done deal. Maybe we can get him plastered enough he'll think it's Jimmer or Stauskas

Pretty sure Gobert has outscored Clarkson since Clarkson's been here, so our 4th leading scorer.
I suppose that’s true. 15.4 ppg to 16.2. Per minute it’s a large difference, though. Our leaders per 36 are Donovan at 25.7, Bojan at 23, and Clarkson at 21.9. Drops off significantly after that to Conley at 16.4. Of course, those are averages for everyone for the whole year.

But anyway, crazy that Clarkson and Bojan score as much as they do and they are two guys who essentially dropped from the sky for us.

Trading Exum for Clarkson would have been like trading John Amaechi for Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

It’s funny. I brought up Clarkson as an option in October or November. Cy hated the idea then.

I was a Clarkson homer the past few years. In late-2016 I made a post on here about going to a Lakers-Cavs game and stating Clarkson and Randle were the two best Lakers on the floor. Now both guys are ballin' out - I feel lucky we have one of them on our team.

We're almost there; I hope JZ and DL can make another move and/or sign some waiver at the deadline.

I just feel like if we could rope Cleveland and Denver into a three team trade we'd win all the champioships.

Who's a guy you like now that Cy doesn't? We can go get him.

I went through every single team and their free agents for this upcoming summer. Obviously, we could look at all players but based on the scrub(s) we'd be trading and the low salary at which they stand, I think it's much more likely we pull off a trade for someone who's expiring and not in his current teams' long-term plans who's on a low salary. Additionally, many teams I don't even consider. We're not pulling off a trade with the Clips or Lakers or Heat and so forth imo. At least not with the "assets" we have. We have to get the notion that such teams are worried about the tax out of our minds. We don't know that's the case and shouldn't expect such given their markets, and/or deep pockets, and/or likely deep playoff runs which increases revenue. Moreover, I'm not considering projects (see Labissiere, Skai) who are two years away from being two years away. We need someone who's logged more meaningful NBA minutes and has a better resumé and can contribute now.

Knowing all this and how I feel our biggest need, perhaps by far, is at the 4, and how we need someone there who can rebound, defend and hit the 3 and I've come up with one and only one player: Noah Vonleh. Why?

1) Age/experience: He's 24 years old and played nearly 6,000 NBA minutes. The guy is in just about the perfect age/experience range to bring something to the table now and for years going forward.
2) Motivation/chemistry: He's always been on terrible teams. I believe players often times are who their teams are. It's tough for solid players to be fully motivated on teams when they're surrounded by knuckleheads and constantly lose. Teams with no direction. That's primarily been Vonleh's experience to this point. Like Clarkson and Mudiay to a lesser extent, I could see Vonleh being thrilled to be here and bust his *** and play to his fullest potential.
3) Acquisition likelihood: He's played just 28 games this year and at only 12 minutes per game and is a UFA at year end. I don't think Minny gives two ***** if they lose him.
4) On-court production: For his career, he averages 11.0 rebounds per 36 and has 16.5%/24.4%/8.8% rebounding rates. This blows away anything we have at the 4. Also, given his size, body and webz research, I find he's a decent/solid defender, something Niang isn't. Now, he's not going to be the shooter Niang is, quite obviously, but he's at 30.7% for his career and has had three seasons at 33.6% or greater. In that sense, he might be a much better rebounding version of Jae Crowder. He's not a great passer but he's improved based on his 2.7 assists per 36 and 11.1% assist rate over the last two seasons. This is also superior to Niang.

Given what we have to trade, we're not going to get the perfect player back. But Vonleh would bring something we don't have right now. A big 4 who can rebound his *** off, defend some, and hit the 3 some. Offering NWG and/or Oni and a 2nd would be a steal imo. He's a legit NBA player with some fairly big upside still imo. Yes, he's a UFA, but if he hits, he could be a relatively cheap re-up at like 2/6. If he doesn't, we're out a 2nd and some scrubs.

I went through every single team and their free agents for this upcoming summer. Obviously, we could look at all players but based on the scrub(s) we'd be trading and the low salary at which they stand, I think it's much more likely we pull off a trade for someone who's expiring and not in his current teams' long-term plans who's on a low salary. Additionally, many teams I don't even consider. We're not pulling off a trade with the Clips or Lakers or Heat and so forth imo. At least not with the "assets" we have. We have to get the notion that such teams are worried about the tax out of our minds. We don't know that's the case and shouldn't expect such given their markets, and/or deep pockets, and/or likely deep playoff runs which increases revenue. Moreover, I'm not considering projects (see Labissiere, Skai) who are two years away from being two years away. We need someone who's logged more meaningful NBA minutes and has a better resumé and can contribute now.

Knowing all this and how I feel our biggest need, perhaps by far, is at the 4, and how we need someone there who can rebound, defend and hit the 3 and I've come up with one and only one player: Noah Vonleh. Why?

1) Age/experience: He's 24 years old and played nearly 6,000 NBA minutes. The guy is in just about the perfect age/experience range to bring something to the table now and for years going forward.
2) Motivation/chemistry: He's always been on terrible teams. I believe players often times are who their teams are. It's tough for solid players to be fully motivated on teams when they're surrounded by knuckleheads and constantly lose. Teams with no direction. That's primarily been Vonleh's experience to this point. Like Clarkson and Mudiay to a lesser extent, I could see Vonleh being thrilled to be here and bust his *** and play to his fullest potential.
3) Acquisition likelihood: He's played just 28 games this year and at only 12 minutes per game and is a UFA at year end. I don't think Minny gives two ***** if they lose him.
4) On-court production: For his career, he averages 11.0 rebounds per 36 and has 16.5%/24.4%/8.8% rebounding rates. This blows away anything we have at the 4. Also, given his size, body and webz research, I find he's a decent/solid defender, something Niang isn't. Now, he's not going to be the shooter Niang is, quite obviously, but he's at 30.7% for his career and has had three seasons at 33.6% or greater. In that sense, he might be a much better rebounding version of Jae Crowder. He's not a great passer but he's improved based on his 2.7 assists per 36 and 11.1% assist rate over the last two seasons. This is also superior to Niang.

Given what we have to trade, we're not going to get the perfect player back. But Vonleh would bring something we don't have right now. A big 4 who can rebound his *** off, defend some, and hit the 3 some. Offering NWG and/or Oni and a 2nd would be a steal imo. He's a legit NBA player with some fairly big upside still imo. Yes, he's a UFA, but if he hits, he could be a relatively cheap re-up at like 2/6. If he doesn't, we're out a 2nd and some scrubs.
I'm all in on Vonleh. He's the right size of body to throw at LeBron.

Dw9pP-ikab0AhJBwAscurccCAP-tE6i6D6ztKYo_f0_xviPQY4RZkvUITTDrdbXts6t4ORnin_kwd02-V1uB-mzc764bS3hq876R2OlYNEkM6wmu=w412-h309

I'd be happy to acquire Vonleh. But I'd temper the enthusiasm. I'm not at all convinced he's an "upgrade" to what we have now, but instead think he's someone who can contribute to by helping the starters play fewer minutes (by having 3 choices rather than 2 at C/PF) and is one more body (of a type we don't really have now) to throw at difficult playoff matchups.

I saw one critique of his offensive game that I think is accurate from what I've seen: he doesn't really do anything particularly well. He can do a little of a lot, but nothing that really makes him a threat in any way (nothing akin to Georges's 3-pters or even Tony's screen and roll/offensive rebound game). I don't buy his 3 point shot at all for this season (or that teams would regard him as a threat from there), though that's conceivably in play for long-term development.

He's kind of like a poor-man's Tristan Thompson to me, lacking the quick awareness and movements that Thompson sometimes displays.