What's new

We Got Swindled by Sexton (And Eddie Zero Sucks)

Yeah, getting to the basket has always been Sexton's main skill as a ball player. It's just not very sustainable or efficient at 6'0'', not in the modern NBA where the 3pt shot rules. He gets swatted a ton, and when it happens without a single pass in our half court offense (as it often does), it's demoralizing as ****.

You just have to look at the bigger picture with Sexton. If you get bogged down in these cool little details – a small jitterbug type dude making a layup right in a 7 footer's face – you'll forget to pay attention to the fact that he had a wide open 3pt shooter on the wing he didn't pass to, and 10 seconds later he died a screen in the other end, allowing a free layup.

Sexton is an easy guy to cheer for when he gets going. That's exactly why the Cavs chose him as their tank commander.
I give up! Go back to schilling for Trump, your kind of logic would make a lot of sense to the QAnon crowd. o_O

I don’t think Sexton is a future piece, and eventually we will move on from him when we are building what we are going to build. But he’s fine for now. Hopefully we can develop him a little and flip him into something else down the road.

I much, much prefer to have the ball in Sexton's hands lately than Clarkson's. I like Clarkson just fine as long as he doesn't initiate the offense. Sexton is doing a great job of collapsing the defense and kicking out or finding the trailer and is getting better every game. He's 23 years old. He has plenty of room to develop and learn. At the worst we could develop him into a Howard Eisley usage rate backup point whose playing time fluctuates by matchup. That is going to be his salary profile in the next couple of years anyway. He's never going to be a star lead guard, but that's OK, he's a superior spot up shooter when that guy shows up.

Right now, he looks to be better than his contract and that's where we need to start for the rebuild all the way down the line.

Yeah, getting to the basket has always been Sexton's main skill as a ball player. It's just not very sustainable or efficient at 6'0'', not in the modern NBA where the 3pt shot rules.
His three point shooting is pretty good as well (35%). Not great but pretty good. I think it will improve.

I much, much prefer to have the ball in Sexton's hands lately than Clarkson's. I like Clarkson just fine as long as he doesn't initiate the offense. Sexton is doing a great job of collapsing the defense and kicking out or finding the trailer and is getting better every game.
Agreed to some extent. Sexton’s handle is tighter even if his decision making may be a little more suspect. Clarkson or Laurie should still be our default scorers/creators end of game IMO.
He's never going to be a star lead guard, but that's OK, he's a superior spot up shooter when that guy shows up.
Let’s not be hasty here. Few players have the fifth turbo gear that this kid has to teleport by opponents and beat them to the cup. Tre Young is a Star lead guard with a lot more defensive exposure. Jordan Poole got the contract and still makes as many egregious mistakes as Sexton IMO. Kemba Walker fit that profile in Charlotte before his fall from Grace.

By the way, this is my favorite thread.

I want to sell my house and live here
There's a couch in the garage you can crash on. Rent's due every Friday, you know so we can buy beer. We accept cash, cash, and maybe crack. Depends on the weekend. @fishonjazz is the landlord/pimp. And dump your filthy ashtrays now and then, would ya?

That's not pretty good. It's average for current guard standards
Well there ya go. I guess if you want to nitpick then we will go with average. Average is fine. In fact, if you are really fast and really good at getting in to the paint and finishing and gettting to the line then being respectable from outside is even better than fine. And at 23 years old I think he can become an even better 3 point shooter.
The poster I quoted was acting as if his 3 point shooting is so bad he cant play in todays nba due to the prevalence of the 3 point shot. We both agree his three point shooting isn't bad though.

Last edited:
Well there ya go. I guess if you want to nitpick then we will go with average. Average is fine. In fact, if you are really fast and really good at getting in to the paint and finishing and gettting to the line then being respectable from outside is even better than fine. And at 23 years old I think he can become an even better 3 point shooter.
The poster I quoted was acting as if his 3 point shooting is so bad he cant play in todays nba due to the prevalence of the 3 point shot. We both agree his three point shooting isn't bad though.
In his career so far in which he had a significant injury, by comparision to someone else in the league who also had a significant injury, and whos numbers scoring wise are nearly identical accross the board, is 2 time all star and max player Zach Lavine. granted Lavine is slightly better in every category for the most part. They are highly comparable, and yet only one of them has the attention and the admiration of the average NBA fan. Funny how much entertainment value can elevate someone's popularity and basketball skill becomes meaningless.
I give Sexton another month as a starter, and if he continues to improve as a playmaker, I think he is a steal for this org and worth keeping. But even if they decide to move him off ball, or bring him off the bench when Mike returns, I think he ends up starting next season not coming off the bench.

In his career so far in which he had a significant injury, by comparision to someone else in the league who also had a significant injury, and whos numbers scoring wise are nearly identical accross the board, is 2 time all star and max player Zach Lavine. granted Lavine is slightly better in every category for the most part. They are highly comparable, and yet only one of them has the attention and the admiration of the average NBA fan. Funny how much entertainment value can elevate someone's popularity and basketball skill becomes meaningless.
I give Sexton another month as a starter, and if he continues to improve as a playmaker, I think he is a steal for this org and worth keeping. But even if they decide to move him off ball, or bring him off the bench when Mike returns, I think he ends up starting next season not coming off the bench.
I wouldn't want Zach LaVine either