What's new

We Must Be Better Than This

JazzMan4Life

Contributor
<a href=""

Mods feel free to move this, but I'd like for everyone to see it.

This is a story that many around the nation will see.
This is how they will view our state and our team.
To me, this is unacceptable. And I would guess many of our players and forum members feel the same.
We must be better than this.

Last edited:
<a href=""

Mods feel free to move this, but I'd like for everyone to see it.

This is a story that many around the nation will see.
This is how they will view our state and our team.
To me, this is unacceptable. And I would guess many of our players and forum members feel the same.
We must be better than this.

Thanks again Utah, for again making us look bad. We may as well give students the option of skipping all history topics white black red and brown.

I wish I could have opted out of the glamorized version of U.S. history where our treatment of indigenous people and slavery were rationalized and justified and our forefathers were presented in a whitewashed version of what actually happened.

Can you imagine being a parent who is so indignant about black history that you insist your child be "protected" from learning about it?

"We regret that after receiving requests, an opt-out form was sent out concerning activities planned during this month of celebration," he continued. "We are grateful that families that initially had questions and concerns have willingly come to the table to resolve any differences and at this time no families are opting out of our planned activities and we have removed this option. In the future, we will handle all parental concerns on an individual basis."

That's fantastic and all, but I'm genuinely curious what possible "concerns" there could have been for parents wanting to opt out to begin with.

Maybe I am misunderstanding this, but...

The Libs bash people if you aren't up to speed on everything. I don't see how this is racism. If they have black history day or week, then is that okay? Teaching someone to hate and not having a whole month on a topic is not the same thing.

Many leaders of our outstanding leaders like Biden did not have black history month growing up, so this argument is kind of strange. As long as hate is not taught, I don't care which topics are not covered for a month, as long as it is factual and is broad and comprehensive. Yes understanding of mistreatment is critical, but whatever man.

I just don't think all of society is going to be on the cutting edge. Sometimes it is okay to be average or withdrawn. If you push some people too hard then you can get the opposite of what you want.

Last edited:

The Libs bash people if you aren't up to speed on everything. I don't see how this is racism. If they have black history day or week, then is that okay? Teaching someone to hate and not having a whole month on a topic is not the same thing.

Many leaders of our outstanding leaders like Biden did not have black history month growing up, so this argument is kind of strange. As long as hate is not taught, I don't care which topics are not covered for a month, as long as it is factual and is broad and comprehensive. Yes understanding of mistreatment is critical, but whatever man.

I just don't think all of society is going to be on the cutting edge. Sometimes it is okay to be average or withdrawn. If you push some people too hard then you can get the opposite of what you want.
I'm having a hard time understanding the point you are trying to make. Is it that a month is too much time to spend learning about black history? Is it that Biden and other leaders didn't have black history month so we don't need it either? Or is it that people have a right to be intentionally removed/withdrawn socially, culturally, intellectually, ethically, historically from the larger society in which they live?

general comment not addressed at the OP:
These are kids in a Montessori school.

Recognizing basic historical realities - that black people contribute immensely to our history despite the vast inhumanity perpetrated against them - isn’t and shouldn’t be a cutting edge concept.

The **** out of here with your wack apologetics.

Recognizing basic historical realities - that black people contribute immensely to our history despite the vast inhumanity perpetrated against them - isn’t and shouldn’t be a cutting edge concept.

The **** out of here with your wack apologetics.
Oh so we need 2 months or 3 weeks? What's best? I don't really get it. Did you have a whole month growing up? No you didn't. The argument is weak.

If you just have one day, then you are racist? Do we need to write one paper or 30 papers on the topic? Listen, we should have it, but this is just stupid arguing about the amount of time.

There's now a specific curriculum for that in schools? Instead they should be teaching children how political opinions heavily influence the interpretation of history. They can use this past year as an example and show how CNN & MSNBC watchers will have wildly different interpretations of the same events that occurred compared to Fox News watchers. They should enlighten children that past historical events are also interpreted differently based on who wrote the books.

The main purpose of the curriculum should be to get children to think for themselves and to learn how to properly research topics independently instead of just gobbling up agendas shoved in their mouths.

There's now a specific curriculum for that in schools? Instead they should be teaching children how political opinions heavily influence the interpretation of history. They can use this past year as an example and show how CNN & MSNBC watchers will have wildly different interpretations of the same events that occurred compared to Fox News watchers. They should enlighten children that past historical events are also interpreted differently based on who wrote the books.

The main purpose of the curriculum should be to get children to think for themselves and to learn how to properly research topics independently instead of just gobbling up agendas shoved in their mouths.
I have some of my grandpas old history school books, from the 1940s. Your draw would drop at how racist they are.

if you think African American history is taught to an even remotely comprehensive or acceptable amount, you’re pretty ignorant of it. Which is normal-that’s the problem. I had no idea how little I actually knew until I went to the African American history museum in DC. It’s utterly appalling how much they just don’t cover in schools.

I’d be all in favor of doing away with Black History month if I was confident it would be covered during the rest of the year, so that most Americans would know there’s more to black history than slavery and MLK. I’m not confident that would happen, so we have to settle for a month for now.

Last edited:
I swear man. Why? I’m guessing many of the parents were like “when is white history month”? Some here trying to justify it is comical. The parents opting out are likely using dim bass reasons like that.

If you don’t think a month is justified then maybe just don’t teach US History at all. There is definitely a months worth of material.

Oh so we need 2 months or 3 weeks? What's best? I don't really get it. Did you have a whole month growing up? No you didn't. The argument is weak.

If you just have one day, then you are racist? Do we need to write one paper or 30 papers on the topic? Listen, we should have it, but this is just stupid arguing about the amount of time.

The big thing that you are missing here is that if you're white, you're automatically a racist. That has become the cultural norm push for libs to pretend that we live in a minority slavery state.

I have some of my grandpas old history school books, from the 1940s. Your draw would drop at how racist they are.

if you think African American history is taught to an even remotely comprehensive or acceptable amount, you’re pretty ignorant of it. Which is normal-that’s the problem. I had no idea how little I actually knew until I went to the African American history museum in DC. It’s utterly appalling how much they just don’t cover in schools.

I’d be all in favor of doing away with Black History month if I was confident it would be covered during the rest of the year, so that most Americans would know there’s more to black history than slavery and MLK. I’m not confident that would happen, so we have to settle for a month for now.

It should be covered all year as US history. Just like anything else that is/was relevant to our country's history and culture roots.

If it's US history, teach it. Seems pretty simple to me.

https://www.ksl.com/article/5010309...out-option-for-black-history-month-activities

Ogden school removes opt-out option for Black History Month activities​

This is the KSL story and headline. For me there is a huge difference between activities and curriculum. Maybe it was curriculum, maybe it was activities. One of the two outlets should correct themselves, but they won't. Also, what's with the news only reporting a headline. What are the activities? What was said in the request from the 3 parents to opt out? How did the opt out form read?

(no idea why the above is formatted different, don't judge my computer skills:eek:)

Why is everybody guilty until proven innocent anymore?

https://www.ksl.com/article/5010243...ivities-director-says-hes-deeply-disappointed

This article gives some more insight on the feelings of the director. It sounds like the director is Japanese and talks about his parents being in internment camps. It shows he was uncomfortable allowing the opt out, but felt obligated.

After reading the second article, it looks like curriculum may be the correct word based upon the director's comments. This stuff is still hard for me to take at face value. My father has made the news from time to time, and he was never quoted correctly and it was also common to remove context from his comments. Generally its not a good thing to make the news, but he rarely felt that they were fair to what was really happening.

The point of the above is a plea to wait to pass judgement on people. I would add to allow people to correct their actions and change. The parents ended up rescinding their opt out. Hopefully it was for the right reasons and consider it's possible they learned something out of the experience. I think changing people is the point of putting all this on the front page, right?

A few things:

1. Nobody actually USED an opt out form. Some people had concerns about the curriculum, met with administrators, had concerns resolved. As a parent I like to review ALL "new" curriculum. I have never opted out or even had much of a discussion after that.

2. Nowhere does it say what the curriculum was or who was in charge of teaching it.

3. Montesori schools are like by Hippies for Hippies, so I am not sure you are getting them peopled by white supremicists.

4. The facebook post was wildly stupid and ultimately unnecessary and was used by another parent with a grudge to hurt someone in the school's administration. It doesn't tell a "deeper truth" however and ultimately shouldn't be national news.

5. Schools post stupid **** on facebook a LOT. My wife actually runs the social media for a school district for this very exact reason. Things go through her before they are posted. Most of the time (if not all) the stupid things aren't meant to be harmful, just stupid and insular.

6. At some point she will probably take over filtering me on Jazzfanz.

I don't think this kind of stuff helps that much. I think reperations is what is needed most. Really help the black community - grants, whatever it takes. I would advocate 5,000 to 20,000 per black family (depending on family size) additional monies during the time they are 20 to 55. I think if you empower black families then things will only get better. If you on not onboard with that then I think you don't understand the injustice that has happened and you don't really believe in taking responsibility and want to fix the problem.

I think this education piece is just virtual signalling. People pretending that they are not at all racist and that they are pure when in fact most of the people who push it tend to be racist themselves - they only say the right things. I want what is taught in class to be succint, brief, factual and clear. When people pretend they love something then it makes it worse.

A few things:

1. Nobody actually USED an opt out form. Some people had concerns about the curriculum, met with administrators, had concerns resolved. As a parent I like to review ALL "new" curriculum. I have never opted out or even had much of a discussion after that.

2. Nowhere does it say what the curriculum was or who was in charge of teaching it.

3. Montesori schools are like by Hippies for Hippies, so I am not sure you are getting them peopled by white supremicists.

4. The facebook post was wildly stupid and ultimately unnecessary and was used by another parent with a grudge to hurt someone in the school's administration. It doesn't tell a "deeper truth" however and ultimately shouldn't be national news.

5. Schools post stupid **** on facebook a LOT. My wife actually runs the social media for a school district for this very exact reason. Things go through her before they are posted. Most of the time (if not all) the stupid things aren't meant to be harmful, just stupid and insular.

6. At some point she will probably take over filtering me on Jazzfanz.

Are you kidding me? This was just parents asking questions. Why is this even news? A parent should ask questions about everything.

Support Donovan to the end of the earth on this. My family are 'new Australians ' ie white people from a non wasp background. During the reign of the scumbag **** john howard (who has turned his party into a middle of the road fascist/religious shitpile) felt like didnt belong in the country i was born in or a citizen of.

**** them all, burn their houses beat their children, they sell our futures and our children's cheaply. I hate them with all i have