What's new

Wells Report concluded that the Patriots violated rules and Tom Brady was aware

MT Steve

Contributor
Full report is here: https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.co...s-re-footballs-used-during-afc-championsh.pdf

The specific language it uses is "more probable than not", which is enough for the NFL to conclude that a violation has occurred based on their policy:

Section 4 of the Policy provides that “[t]he standard of proof required to find that a violation of
the competitive rules has occurred shall be a Preponderance of the Evidence.” As the Policy
makes clear, that “means that, as a whole, the fact sought to be proved is more probable than
not.”

So, any guesses as to the punishments?

What's the big deal? Didn't effect the game whatsoever! They said there findings also concluded that one of the Colts balls were under-inflated as well! Sorry thing about it was the stupid coach for the Sea Hawks handed the Super Bowl to them on a silver platter with that pathetic play call on the 1 yard line!

What's the big deal? Didn't effect the game whatsoever!

I personally find it to be a big deal when a player or a team cheats in professional sports. Maybe it didn't effect the outcome of THAT game, but it seems like this has been going on for awhile.

It's the cheatriots what did you expect to be the outcome? That they were innocent? Fat chance of that being the case. The only reason the wells report did not name Belicheat as the mastermind behind it is that they had no evidence. But because their conclusions have little proof they will get off with no penalty. Why do you think they waited till after the draft to announce this? So that they did not take ridicule for not taking away draft picks from them.

My prediction is Brady gets suspended for the first snap of the preseason and fined two packs of gum.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/colts-sent-nfl-email-explaining-140416456.html
According to this the Colts told the NFL before the game that they suspected the Patriots of cheating using this tactic. To me that is another indictment against Roger Goodell and his staff. How could the footballs at this game disappear after the officials and the league was informed that they were cheating this way and how could the officials not recheck the balls after they were found.
Is Roger Goodell now the worst Commissioner in professional sports? I think he is. Too many controversies being far worse than they need to be all because of the incompetence of Goodell and his staff.

Penalty will be 1 game suspension for Brady, One 5th round draft choice and $500,000 bucks!
If that's all they get then Goodell's tenure as Commish may be a short one. Denver lost more money than that and a 3rd round pick for borrowing money from 2 of their players. They admitted it and did not hide it as well. That is not an in game cheating scandal. They were short on actual cash and deferred payment for a few months to 2 players. It had no effect on getting player or cheating or anything else effecting the game. It was simply against the rules, that is it. So for a penalty of cheating to be less than that would be an outrage. Especially since the team caught has already been punished for cheating, and did it for a playoff game.
Goodell is already being questioned for his relationship with the owner of the Pat's. If he is perceived as being soft on him this time he might just lose that 44M a year salary.

I honestly don't care.
The nfl was dumb for letting teams be in control of their own football's and by allowing teams to have their own separate set of football's were basically asking teams to cheat.

I 100% guarantee that other teams altered their football's in a way that broke the rules and just never got caught.

Hell I think that the nfl should let each team/qb put as much or as little air in the ball as they want.

I honestly don't care.
The nfl was dumb for letting teams be in control of their own football's and by allowing teams to have their own separate set of football's were basically asking teams to cheat.

I 100% guarantee that other teams altered their football's in a way that broke the rules and just never got caught.
I agree with the first part of this. What's wrong with having both teams use the same freaking football. But the fact is if they have a rule it should be followed. And deliberately circumventing the rule should be punished. Especially repeat offenders that have a history of this sort of thing.

I agree with the first part of this. What's wrong with having both teams use the same freaking football. But the fact is if they have a rule it should be followed. And deliberately circumventing the rule should be punished. Especially repeat offenders that have a history of this sort of thing.

Absolutely. This team has a past record of cheating, so they obviously didn't do enough the first time. The rule should be changed so that both teams use the same balls, but for now facts are facts, and they got caught cheating AGAIN. Nice message to send to the rest of the league and to the kids growing up as fans: Cheating pays off and you'll probably get away with it, but even if you get caught, you'll probably just get a slap on the wrist. People need to stop making excuses as if it's not a big deal or it's ok because everyone is probably doing it. Crappy message to young fans.

Here is a question for the people defending them. If it was not an advantage why would they intentionally break the rule?

they have text messages between the guys accused. There are assumptions in the report but the rule being intentionally broken by Patriots employees is a fact.

A locker room attendant and a ball boy. But people are calling for Brady to be suspended for a season. It's ****ing ridiculous!

Absolutely. This team has a past record of cheating, so they obviously didn't do enough the first time. The rule should be changed so that both teams use the same balls, but for now facts are facts, and they got caught cheating AGAIN. Nice message to send to the rest of the league and to the kids growing up as fans: Cheating pays off and you'll probably get away with it, but even if you get caught, you'll probably just get a slap on the wrist. People need to stop making excuses as if it's not a big deal or it's ok because everyone is probably doing it. Crappy message to young fans.
Good post

There are no "facts". It's all assumptions and speculation.