What's new

What’s the biggest mistakes the Jazz FO has ever made?

What’s the biggest mistakes the Jazz FO has ever made?

• Trading Mike Conley to the T’Wolves

• We don’t make mistakes

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the outrage is a year early.
Any outrage is a year early.

Saying it's the worst move ever is 100% factually incorrect. At most Conley will add around 5-8 regular season wins next year, and that's a high end guesstimate.

I'll take the Lakers 2027 pick over the 2025 Wolves pick being 5 wins worse.

I absolutely love Conley and would love to believe that he's had a huge effect on the wins and losses for the TWolves, but it is really difficult to objectively show that he had any effect last year. Subjectively they look a lot better, and aesthetically I like their offense much more with him in the games than when he is out.

Whatever effect that Conley has had on the team this year is not impacting our picks, so really we are projecting what he might do for them next year. If Conley is still performing at a high level next year and the Wolves continue to look a lot better with him than without him, then I do think it's fair to criticize the FO for that move.

I think the outrage is a year early.
And with the Wolves cap decision even the 11M they allocated to him could be a problem if he is not really healthy again. I think NAW was a gift that will keep giving though. I wouldn't say it was any kind of mistake. Only way 2025 was going to be a good pick is if there is an Ant or Rudy injury. 27-29 was always the target for those picks being really good potentially. Conley won't be around then.

Why do people think Conley was a Jazz mistake, that was 100% the right decision they were probably just late on it. It was the Lakers choice to send him to Minny. Even if it was under our control….what are we even talking about? We traded for a team’s picks who had Ant, Towns, and now Gobert locked under contract. Those picks should have never ever been expected to be good.
Conley deal in itself wasn't too bad. It was adding him and Bogey the same summer that completely destroyed our perimeter defense, and DL subsequent refusal to get help on that end which doomed the Quin/Rudy/DM era.

Conley+Ant works for Minny because Ant is a capable defender and Minny has size/athleticism to cover him on every other position. Conley didn't have this in Utah.

Conley deal in itself wasn't too bad. It was adding him and Bogey the same summer that completely destroyed our perimeter defense, and DL subsequent refusal to get help on that end which doomed the Quin/Rudy/DM era.

People are not talking about the deal to acquire Conley as the bad move. They are talking about one that sent him out and got us the Lakers pick. I agree that he was not the best fit next to DM and especially not a good fit adding Bogey into that mix.

So you dont want a top 4 protected Lakers 2027 pick just because the Conley trade might make 1 of the 5 picks we can get from them slightly better?

You know how dumb that sounds?
Nope
I don't want to trade 4 dudes and 2 picks for a pick. A few of those dudes who might make our picks worse

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

You can also argue the Wolves being invested in Conley (though it was a nice extension price) for 2 more seasons might make them worse in 2026/2027 because they will have to transition to a new starting PG in 2026 or 2027 rather than having to deal with that now.
Would be hilarious if NAW became their starter and made them even better

This is also without mentioning what happened to our own pick after that trade. Had we not traded Conley/Vando/Beasley and won 3 more games we would have lost Taylor Hendricks.
Or..... Trade Conley to a team whose picks we don't own silly. Preferably prior to the season even starting.

I haven't seen anyone saying that we shouldnt have traded those players so I didn't know who you are arguing with about that. Many people (Ferguson, one love, mt Steve, Herman, jom) in this thread have simply said it's a bad idea to make a team better when you own their picks.

Last edited:
You replied to my post and were talking about Conley. I assumed you were talking about the post you replied to and the things you said in your posts, not some post I never interacted with.
Exactly. For some reason you said to me that it was never in our control, that's a fact. Which is something I never argued against. Then you said to me that it wasn't one of our worst mistakes ever. Which is another thing I never argued lol

Win loss is the only thing that matters when it comes to the picks we got from the Gobert trade. We've received one pick so far from the Conley trade, it did not effect the draft position. It may impact our next pick in 25, but also in 27 and 29 when Conley may be retired. The alternative to not making that trade is that we don't have the Lakers pick and we may not have Taylor Hendricks either.

And once again, I have to stress that it was the Lakers decision....not ours. Such a silly thing to consider a "mistake".
Had Conley not gone there and steadied the ship last year the Twolves locker could have imploded with DLo still there. The GM might have been forced and to trade away Towns and possibly more or even blow things up altogether taking them further away from a Championship calibre team they are becoming right now.

Blowing things up could have had huge impacts on the 25, 27, 29 picks.

Not sure how nobody else except only a few here are seeing this.

Had Conley not gone there and steadied the ship last year the Twolves locker could have imploded with DLo still there. The GM might have been forced and to trade away Towns and possibly more or even blow things up altogether taking them further away from a Championship calibre team they are becoming right now.

The Wolves got whooped last year with Conley. They didn't play in any better in the regular season with Conley and the Nuggets beat them easily in the first round. I'm sorry, but this TWolves thing is happening with or without Conley. The Wolves are great and will be great because they have Ant and Gobert.

And I'm just going to mention it again for the last time: IT WAS NOT OUR CHOICE TO SEND CONLEY TO THE WOLVES IT WAS THE LAKERS.

They aren't going to blow it up when Jazz control their picks.

Salaries for Minny will become too expensive if they keep winning. All their scrub players will want to get paid. So Conley being traded there is not the end of the world for the 2027 and 2029 picks.

Salaries for Minny will become too expensive if they keep winning. All their scrub players will want to get paid. So Conley being traded there is not the end of the world for the 2027 and 2029 picks.
Yeah, they will have strong crunches in the coming years, hell this coming year if they dont finish strong.

They have their own pick this year. I think they end up getting a Kolek/Nunez/Simpson to try and get someone who could take over for Conley.

For me I still have to go back to the Lyles over Devin Booker decision. I think if Booker is around then Hayward sticks around. Hayward left because it was him and not much else offensively to help him take the team to the next level. If Booker is around you have a dynamic duo offensively to go with the best defensively player in the nba. Booker in his second year averaged 22 points a year for the suns and there is no reason to think he couldn't be near that number with us paired with Hayward. Damn that could have been a nasty duo.

For me I still have to go back to the Lyles over Devin Booker decision. I think if Booker is around then Hayward sticks around. Hayward left because it was him and not much else offensively to help him take the team to the next level. If Booker is around you have a dynamic duo offensively to go with the best defensively player in the nba. Booker in his second year averaged 22 points a year for the suns and there is no reason to think he couldn't be near that number with us paired with Hayward. Damn that could have been a nasty duo.
I think having Giannis would do a lot more than two years of Booker so your reasoning makes no sense to put the Lyles pick over the Giannis pick. The Lyles pick still was an important cog in a hugely positive move. The Jazz could draft Giannis and still trade Lyles for Mitchell

I think having Giannis would do a lot more than two years of Booker so your reasoning makes no sense to put the Lyles pick over the Giannis pick. The Lyles pick still was an important cog in a hugely positive move. The Jazz could draft Giannis and still trade Lyles for Mitchell
Obviously Giannis would be the dream but it's not like jazz fans were clamoring for Giannis before that draft the way we were for Booker. What made the Booker situation so painful is that the majority of knowledgeable jazz fans were locked in on him. He should have been a jazzman but DL ****ed it up. That is also what made the Dok pick extra painful is that we were all so locked in on McDaniels and to a lesser extent Bane.

Obviously Giannis would be the dream but it's not like jazz fans were clamoring for Giannis before that draft the way we were for Booker. What made the Booker situation so painful is that the majority of knowledgeable jazz fans were locked in on him. He should have been a jazzman but DL ****ed it up. That is also what made the Dok pick extra painful is that we were all so locked in on McDaniels and to a lesser extent Bane.

Booker refused to workout for Utah. He wasn't an option for us.

My definition is something that was patently obvious when the decision happened and does not require hindsight to reinterpret it. For that reason I leave out things like drafting Jokic or Jimmy Butler or Marc Gasol, etc. I only count things that I could see as they were happening. For me, my two biggest ones were Burks over Kawhi and Hayward over Paul George.

Trey Lyles was a dumb pick. It being repackaged as him landing Mitchell is irrelevant. It's like saying Exum wasn't a bust because he was able to return us JC (someone taken in the second round of that same draft).

I was pretty happy about Borchardt (after I had been pissed about us drafting whoever it was we selected to trade for him).

I was totally on board for drafting Kanter.

I was totally on board for drafting Trey Burke.

Gobert wasn't on my radar.

I wasn't interested in Mitchell.

There are hit and misses. I hold a lot of frustration about ones that were obvious to me. On the flip side, they've hit on ones that I wouldn't have considered. I've emotionally burned out on the draft. I'd been getting heavy into it since the Raul Lopez draft and it really has done little to add joy to life but just frustration. After we overrated our first round draft picks "keeping the powder dry," not recognizing that the moment to start cashing them in was immediately when we recognized Donovan was who he was in his rookie season ("teh pick is gon be donchick!") I had completely checked out of draft following to that kind of extent on the Udoka draft. Thank goodness.

Oh, and trading Gobert is something I've always been pissed about every time I think about it. It's taken a lot of wind out of my fan sails. In terms of any decision the franchise has made that's done something like that... it's most certainly that one.

Booker refused to workout for Utah. He wasn't an option for us.
He was most definitely an option and you provided no evidence that Booker wouldn't workout for us. Booker was in no position to not go to the team that drafted him.