What's new

What an intelligent GM would do

green

Since everyone is posting their fantasy scenarios for this summer, and most of them involve the Jazz giving up the flexibility they have worked so hard to obtain for a washed up, soft euro, and a 40 year old that relies on quickness, here is what an intelligent GM would do.

One - get Deron. There are four possibilities for Deron this summer. Dallas, LA, Portland, Brooklyn. Here are the pros and cons of each:

Brooklyn: You are starting over. You have nothing, you have to hope that NJ gets the #1 pick in the draft, or you are going to have another year like the past year. You do have more marketing chances in Brooklyn, but is it worth another 2-3 years of not being any good? And don't think Howard is ending up there. There are rumors that LA would give up Bynum, some have even said the Heat are considering Wade and Bosh for Howard. Howard isn't ending up in Brooklyn.

LA/Dallas - Both aging teams. You will be joining a team with an aging superstar, and they both require the ball in their hands to be effective. Do you really think an old Kobe/Dirk will be good enough to battle OKC and SA? Both are very talented teams, with a lot of young talent. You can go to Dal/LA, be a 3-4 seed, then watch as you have to rebuild that franchise. And don't buy into the "these owners are rich, they will pay the luxury tax to win titles." Is that why Cuban let Chandler and Barea walk for nothing, and LA shipped off Odom for nothing? They are not willing to spend whatever to win titles.

Portland - This is the same situation as Brooklyn, but Portland has two lottery picks instead of one. There are some pluses to Portland though. You do have Aldridge to play with. He is a very talented big man. BUT, it is a small market, and there is no stability there at all. There is a good chance those two draft picks don't work out, and you are stuck in a crappy city with a crappy team. At least Brooklyn is a good city to live in.

FINALLY, your U-T-A-H J-A-Z-Z!!!

This team already has a young, talented core that compliments you perfectly. The Jazz have a budding star, that needs a great pg to give him the ball. The Jazz are vastly improved defensively. With Favors, Millsap and Kanter down low, you have amazing rebounding, toughness, and shotblocking. You have athletic bigs who are willing to play help defense. If you think Stockton to Malone was fun, picture a more athletically gifted Malone, with a Stockton more willing to take over games and control things.

You have a solid wing player in Gordon Hayward. The kid plays great defense, is a solid shooter, has shown a willingness to improve. You have a very good backup pg in Harris, who can knock down the three and play beside you.

You still have your house in Utah. All you have to do, is move furniture back. You have a young, talented team, with flexibility to add more talent around you. If Deron wants to win as much as he possibly can, Utah gives him the best chance to do so.

So, how does Utah get Deron? Simple. They trade Jefferson and Burks to NJ for Deron in a S&T. We get Deron, NJ gets a very talented offensive player, who NJ can then spend a year and see if they want to build around Jefferson. If not, they get a lot of cap space next year to go after a Harden or other max FA. They also get a long term asset in Alec Burks. Burks is a player with loads of potential, and NJ could potentially build their whole team around. Throw in a big from this upcoming draft and Lopez and Brooks, and NJ suddenly has cap room, and a lot of young talent.

Why does Utah do this? They get a superstar in Utah. They have never been able to sign a FA superstar before, and they have now broken that stigma. They give up Al, but they were probably going to trade him for other garbage, let him walk or amnesty him anyways. They do have to give up Burks, who has potential, but Burks could just as easily bust, or pull a Carmelo when his contract is coming to an end. You are trading potential for a proven, young superstar (instead of an old euro, who has flopped the last two years).

Utah's roster now looks like this:

PG - Deron, Harris, Watson
SG - Hayward, Harris
SF - FA/Carroll
PF - Millsap, Favors, Kanter, Evans
C - Favors, Kanter

This team is young, deep, and they still have financial flexibility to bring in an AK, or other shooter or both. If the Jazz somehow get lucky and get GS's pick, then they can add a shooter through the draft. We are still young, we still have options, and we now have a core (Deron, Hayward, Favors, Kanter) that Utah can build around for the next 5-8 years instead of 1-2. This is a much better idea than Nash and Pau.

Quit living in the past, D-Will is never coming back to Utah. I'd rather keep Burks than have a coach killer back

Go for the green.

Why in the hell does NJ trade Deron for Al and Harris? Only two acceptable answers;
1) They're just that stupid
2) This is just another fantasy trade

Why in the hell does Deron agree to that sign and trade? Only two acceptable answers;
1) He's just that stupid

Go for the green.

Why in the hell does NJ trade Deron for Al and Harris? Only two acceptable answers;
1) They're just that stupid

Why in the hell does Deron agree to that sign and trade? Only two acceptable answers;
1) He's just that stupid

Where did you get Al and Harris from?

Where else does Deron go? Instead of a blanket statement, show me how Dallas, LA, Portland or Brooklyn is better.

Quit living in the past, D-Will is never coming back to Utah. I'd rather keep Burks than have a coach killer back

Seriously? You would rather have a kid that couldn't get on the floor in front of Bell and CJ? Yeah, the kid has talent, but Deron is a proven young superstar. You trade potential for proven commodities every time, especially when Burks ceiling is close to on par to what Deron already is. Then throw in the fact that if Burks turns into Wade, do you think he is going to stay in Utah?

I don't think that our talent is the problem. He has stated it himself that his time here is done; he's not coming back here, particularly after the booing he received, which was pathetic in my opinion. I actually don't really want Deron on the team anymore since he's overly negative and doesn't seem to be a good leader.

p.s. I just noticed your coach killer comment. So, if you were the Bulls, or the Lakers, you would have traded Jordan and Magic when they demanded new coaches?

So you main argument stems in the difference between Alec Burks and Deron Williams personality? I'll go with the guy who hasnt opened his mouth yet and is currently on the Utah Jazz which is Burks. D-Will wanted out from the Jazz and that's why he got traded because KOC knew that he wouldn't resign with us. Every reason for D-Will to come to Utah applies to Alec Burks staying in Utah so really you saying Burks will leave the Jazz if he turns into Wade is contradictory to your argument and further proves that D-Will is never coming back

/thread

Yes I would rather have Burks than DWill. Becuase of hte past. If DWill had never played for Utah and there were none of those hard feelings than I'd rather have DWill. But what happened happened. Time to move on.

p.s. I just noticed your coach killer comment. So, if you were the Bulls, or the Lakers, you would have traded Jordan and Magic when they demanded new coaches?

I still think we have no idea about why Jerry left exactly, and Deron's involvement in it is hearsay and speculative. It makes no sense at all that we would then trade him if we got rid of our hall of fame coach for this very player. It's amazing how easily a rumor becomes fact.

Seriously? You would rather have a kid that couldn't get on the floor in front of Bell and CJ? Yeah, the kid has talent, but Deron is a proven young superstar. You trade potential for proven commodities every time, especially when Burks ceiling is close to on par to what Deron already is. Then throw in the fact that if Burks turns into Wade, do you think he is going to stay in Utah?

I don't even know what to say to this...I really like Burks, but his ceiling is not close to what Deron Williams is as a player. That's just an asinine statement.

Also, you said it yourself, Burks couldn't get on the floor in front of Bell and CJ. Why would NJ trade for him to "replace" DWill? I mean, that's just idiotic.

Finally, I still haven't forgotten that you thought Brandon Knight > Kyrie Irving and that Irving was overrated and would be an average NBA player. I respect none of your thoughts and ideas towards basketball. Now shut up.

I think it's less about this and more about the fact that there's a slim, slim chance that NJ would ever agree to that sign and trade.

And by slim, I mean like 0%.

I agree that Utah has a nice core of players to play with, rather than aging Kobe or Dirk. If Deron is objective about Utah he's gotta at least consider them. The problem I have is I'm not sure I'd want him back. Here's why: Yeah, Deron's a stud and makes the Jazz MUCH BETTER. But how much money is he gonna cost. I'm not saying yea or nay, but on principle I don't like for the max money player to be a PG. And the decision on if the Jazz want to pay him max money has to be decided AFTER Deron decides he wants to come back to Jazz. That's 2 significant hurdles that need to be overleaped before anyone can even think about Deron playing for the Jazz again.

Also, we’d certainly be a solid playoff team, but I’m not ready to say that we’re “instant contenders” with Deron back in the fold.

Obviously, he would be a superstar. And I think at this point it’s safe to say that Derrick Favors will be a star in the very near future, probably next season with increased minutes. And we know what we’d be getting from Millsap (…let’s assume Al’s gone).

However, we’d still need more. The teams that win championships are balanced, complete, and usually have no glaring weaknesses. We would still need shooting. We would still need better perimeter defense (thinking playoff matchups, Westbrook/Parker would destroy us). We would still need both Burks and Hayward to emerge.

I think in maybe 3 seasons, the following lineup would be a top-2 team in the West:

PG – Deron/??
SG – Burks/GS Pick/A shooter
SF – Hayward/GS Pick/A lock-down defender
PF – Favors/Millsap/??
C – Kanter/Favors/??

However, we wouldn’t be there right away (in 2012–2013) and at this point I don’t think Deron wants to wait 2 seasons for budding young players to emerge around him. And he likely won’t have to, considering that in today’s NBA landscape the teams with deep pockets can build contenders seemingly overnight.

Last edited:
I agree that Utah has a nice core of players to play with, rather than aging Kobe or Dirk. If Deron is objective about Utah he's gotta at least consider them. The problem I have is I'm not sure I'd want him back. Here's why: Yeah, Deron's a stud and makes the Jazz MUCH BETTER. But how much money is he gonna cost. I'm not saying yea or nay, but on principle I don't like for the max money player to be a PG. And the decision on if the Jazz want to pay him max money has to be decided AFTER Deron decides he wants to come back to Jazz. That's 2 significant hurdles that need to be overleaped before anyone can even think about Deron playing for the Jazz again.

The first intelligent post. Congrats. You don't have to agree, just be smart. Thanks.

Derons last season in Utah he averaged 21 and 10

I highly doubt Burks will ever be able to provide (at least) 41 (21 from self, at least 20 from assists) points a night

Also, we’d certainly be a solid playoff team, but I’m not ready to say that we’re “instant contenders” with Deron back in the fold.

Obviously, he would be a superstar. And I think at this point it’s safe to say that Derrick Favors will be a star in the very near future, probably next season with increased minutes. And we know what we’d be getting from Millsap (…let’s assume Al’s gone).

However, we’d still need more. The teams that win championships are balanced, complete, and usually have no glaring weaknesses. We would still need shooting. We would still need better perimeter defense (thinking playoff matchups, Westbrook/Parker would destroy us). We would still need both Burks and Hayward to emerge.

I think in maybe 3 seasons, the following lineup would be a top-2 team in the West:

PG – Deron/??
SG – Burks/GS Pick/A shooter
SF – Hayward/GS Pick/A lock-down defender
PF – Favors/Millsap/??
C – Kanter/Favors/??

However, we wouldn’t be there right away (in 2012–2013) and at this point I don’t think Deron wants to wait 2 seasons for budding young players to emerge around him. And he likely won’t have to, considering that in today’s NBA landscape the teams with deep pockets can build contenders seemingly overnight.

The second intelligent post. Repped as well.

Deron's backup would be Harris. You want an 8-9 man rotation. The Jazz would almost have that. They would have Deron and Harris at the pg. That's two. They would have Hayward, Carrol and Harris at the 2/3 spot (though I would still want to add another wing, AK would actually be a good fit). That is 5 man rotation. Up front you have Favors, Kanter and Millsap. That is an 8 man rotation. Watson is your emergency pg. If you sign AK, then Carroll gives you a nice 9 man rotation. The nice thing about AK is that he can play/guard the 2-4 spots. We would still need that dead eye three point shooter though.

You also mention that Deron would need two seasons here. He needs that anywhere. If he goes to LA or Dallas, he is going for the the next year or so, because those teams will be Deron and Kobe/Dirk and no one else. They will be good, but they aren't beating OKC or SA anytime soon. If he goes to Port or Brooklyn, they are at least 2-3 years away if ever.

I think over the next 5 years (the length of his contract) Utah gives him more opportunity to win than any other team. LA and Dallas are good for the next 1-2 years, but they will then have a potential dropoff. Brooklyn and POR are terrible now, but could be good in a couple of years. Utah could compete for home court this next season, and potentially 1-2 spot in the West after that.