What's new

What does Dante get in Free Agency?

David Stern

It will be interesting to see how these answers change when he's actually back and playing... but I'm going to guess that there are not going to be any teams out there that are bidding against the Jazz for a player that has missed essentially 1/2 of his career, and been underwhelming for the other 1/2. I think it's obvious that the Jazz view him as the PG of the future, and that there is room for Ricky and Dante to play together for a season. So considering the Jazz are probably bidding against themselves, what does Dante get? My guess is 4 years, $40 million with a front-loaded contract.

It will be interesting to see how these answers change when he's actually back and playing... but I'm going to guess that there are not going to be any teams out there that are bidding against the Jazz for a player that has missed essentially 1/2 of his career, and been underwhelming for the other 1/2. I think it's obvious that the Jazz view him as the PG of the future, and that there is room for Ricky and Dante to play together for a season. So considering the Jazz are probably bidding against themselves, what does Dante get? My guess is 4 years, $40 million with a front-loaded contract.

yeah i pretty much agree with your whole post

OMG... Idiot!! How he plays will determine what he gets paid, how do we answer this??

Nailed it imo

I don't really see any teams that can have $10 million in cap space that would offer Exum $10 million per year.

I think the Jazz probably would. I mean of the teams who have any space, who would offer him and how much would they realistically pay?

So considering the Jazz are probably bidding against themselves, what does Dante get? My guess is 4 years, $40 million with a front-loaded contract.

It would be crazy for the Jazz to offer a guaranteed 4 years at $10M each for a player with MAJOR red flags regarding both production and health. I could see that offer if the last two years were team options. Otherwise, I am guessing it will be something like 2/15 or 3/22.

Teams will have the mid-level, so I assume a little above it, around 10M per year. Maybe Dante's camp will want to test the FA market sooner and push for a 3+1?

Edit: as checkbook pointed out, there could also be a team incentive for a shorter deal

I think the Jazz probably would. I mean of the teams who have any space, who would offer him and how much would they realistically pay?

Sure I meant other teams, which will kind of dictate what the Jazz pay him. As far as teams with cap space, Bulls maybe could hit $10 but I think they like Dunn, Brooklyn could possibly take a flyer, Suns possibly if they'd prefer Exum to Payton.. but that's about it for teams with cap space that make even a little sense. Orlando could possibly if they don't choose to pay Gordon.

It opens up a lot more if you consider the non-tax payer MLE, probably about $8.5 million. I personally think a deal around or under 4/$32 is what will be struck, maybe a 3+1 with a player option. Yeah it's not much more (per year) than the QO for Exum but the guaranteed years is important for a player in his position I'd think.

It would be crazy for the Jazz to offer a guaranteed 4 years at $10M each for a player with MAJOR red flags regarding both production and health. I could see that offer if the last two years were team options. Otherwise, I am guessing it will be something like 2/15 or 3/22.

Exum would just take the QO if that's what the Jazz would offer. 4 years at 7-8 million isn't a crazy stretch or risk for the Jazz honestly.

lol k then he says seeya later

honestly I would be kinda pissed that we let Hood go only to spend a bunch of that cap space on a wet noodle

I really hope the Jazz don't commit much to a dude that is always hurt and not very good at basketball.

we didn't let hood go, we traded him for a better fit. So far the Jazz management's assessment of who's worth paying has been pretty spot on. If they end up paying Dante there'll be very good reasons that they want to, despite what you think.

They let Hood go in order to save 10 million in cap space.

If it was say 4yrs $38Mil can we front load it to the extent we pay him:

1st yr: $20Mil
2nd yr: :$6Mil
3rd yr: $6Mil
4th yr: $6Mil

That way using our cap space next season while having the majority of his money off the books in time to make a play in 18/19 FAs??

3 years 27 mil with the third being a team option.

And most of that is on potential. If you look at PGs in the 7 to 12 mil range almost all of them have been more productive than Dante .

And if I'm Dante, l have to feel like if l can string a couple healthy years together my career will take off. If that's the case then l don't want to be stuck in some long term contract for back-up PG money.

If it was say 4yrs $38Mil can we front load it to the extent we pay him:

1st yr: $20Mil
2nd yr: :$6Mil
3rd yr: $6Mil
4th yr: $6Mil

That way using our cap space next season while having the majority of his money off the books in time to make a play in 18/19 FAs??
No but that would be awesome. There’s a certain percentage you can go down by each year, like 12% or something.