What does Dante get in Free Agency?

David Stern

It will be interesting to see how these answers change when he's actually back and playing... but I'm going to guess that there are not going to be any teams out there that are bidding against the Jazz for a player that has missed essentially 1/2 of his career, and been underwhelming for the other 1/2. I think it's obvious that the Jazz view him as the PG of the future, and that there is room for Ricky and Dante to play together for a season. So considering the Jazz are probably bidding against themselves, what does Dante get? My guess is 4 years, $40 million with a front-loaded contract.

Douchebag K

It will be interesting to see how these answers change when he's actually back and playing... but I'm going to guess that there are not going to be any teams out there that are bidding against the Jazz for a player that has missed essentially 1/2 of his career, and been underwhelming for the other 1/2. I think it's obvious that the Jazz view him as the PG of the future, and that there is room for Ricky and Dante to play together for a season. So considering the Jazz are probably bidding against themselves, what does Dante get? My guess is 4 years, $40 million with a front-loaded contract.

yeah i pretty much agree with your whole post

Thee Idiotic Minivan K

OMG... Idiot!! How he plays will determine what he gets paid, how do we answer this??

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner

Nailed it imo

David Stern

I don't really see any teams that can have $10 million in cap space that would offer Exum $10 million per year.

I think the Jazz probably would. I mean of the teams who have any space, who would offer him and how much would they realistically pay?

checkbookdoc

So considering the Jazz are probably bidding against themselves, what does Dante get? My guess is 4 years, $40 million with a front-loaded contract.

It would be crazy for the Jazz to offer a guaranteed 4 years at $10M each for a player with MAJOR red flags regarding both production and health. I could see that offer if the last two years were team options. Otherwise, I am guessing it will be something like 2/15 or 3/22.

latin jazz

Teams will have the mid-level, so I assume a little above it, around 10M per year. Maybe Dante's camp will want to test the FA market sooner and push for a 3+1?

Edit: as checkbook pointed out, there could also be a team incentive for a shorter deal

MDAV28

I think the Jazz probably would. I mean of the teams who have any space, who would offer him and how much would they realistically pay?

Sure I meant other teams, which will kind of dictate what the Jazz pay him. As far as teams with cap space, Bulls maybe could hit $10 but I think they like Dunn, Brooklyn could possibly take a flyer, Suns possibly if they'd prefer Exum to Payton.. but that's about it for teams with cap space that make even a little sense. Orlando could possibly if they don't choose to pay Gordon.

It opens up a lot more if you consider the non-tax payer MLE, probably about $8.5 million. I personally think a deal around or under 4/$32 is what will be struck, maybe a 3+1 with a player option. Yeah it's not much more (per year) than the QO for Exum but the guaranteed years is important for a player in his position I'd think.

MDAV28

It would be crazy for the Jazz to offer a guaranteed 4 years at $10M each for a player with MAJOR red flags regarding both production and health. I could see that offer if the last two years were team options. Otherwise, I am guessing it will be something like 2/15 or 3/22.

Exum would just take the QO if that's what the Jazz would offer. 4 years at 7-8 million isn't a crazy stretch or risk for the Jazz honestly.