What's new

What Does KOC Have Up His Sleave?

We don't need a shot blocking big man. Who would you replace to put him in? Jefferson? Okur? Millsap? What we need is Jefferson to block some shots. The guy's never really applied himself at playing defense like he sounds like he will this coming season, so who knows what he's capable of on D really?

As for what's up KOC's sleeve? Al Jefferson and Raja Bell. We already got more than we ever expected. If there's more, then "WOOO!", if not, then whatever. Again, it's already better than most expected this off season to be.

I'd like to see us hold on to AK, see how we play together for half a season to see where our holes might be, then use his expiring to try and plug that hole for the second half and into the playoffs.

terminator_sideshow_endo_arm.jpg

The Jazz have more than 9 players under contract. They have second year non-guaranteed contracts on Jeffers and Gaines and a non-guaranteed deal with jeremy Evans.

That means they have these guys under some form of contract:

1. Williams
2. Jefferson
3. AK
4. Okur
5. Millsap
6. CJ
7. Raja
8. Hayward
9. Price
10. Gaines
11. Jeffers
12. Evans

Plus we have a QO out on Fesenko. Don't be shocked if they lock up Fes, hit the league minimum and stand pat.
I thought I was the only one on this board who understood the current roster situation.

Our remaining tradable assets (in order of value) are: Millsap, AK, CJ, Memo....

I'll do Millsap/Memo for Dalembart/Landry but I doubt SAC would want to take on our add'l yrs in contracts.
A straight, AK for Dalembart doesnt really help us as a defensive unit.

Lakers have quietly added Steve Blake, Ratliff and Barnes this summer to boost their bench depth.
Whereas the SLC media cant seem to stop having orgasms about losing 3 rotation players this offseason and adding just two vets. Let's hope KOC has another trade worked away.

And when was the last time a player took LESS just to play in Utah? Sorry to burst the bubble of a lot of you fans, but Salt Lake City just doesn't have the same cachet for most players (Raja being a rare exception) as Los Angeles or Miami.

Barnes was a nice pickup for them. He commented on how it would nice playing on the same team as Kobe instead of against him. Ratliff for me, is meh. It's been 4 years since he's been relevant. Jazz could sign Araujo and get the same production that Theo will give the Lakers.

The Lakers net difference this year is probably greater than the Jazz's net difference. We'll see, though.

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach with Jefferson as oppose to being bummed or furious about the player he's been. However, one thing I'm genuinely concerned with is that Boozer's play was a detriment to AK's and Boozer was a much more able and willing passer than Jefferson, and he also played high-post a lot as well. Jefferson has the potential to make AK significantly worse than he has been.

But. We'll see. I'd like the Jazz to trade AK for a more traditional SF or C.

We don't need a shot blocking big man. Who would you replace to put him in? Jefferson? Okur? Millsap? What we need is Jefferson to block some shots. The guy's never really applied himself at playing defense like he sounds like he will this coming season, so who knows what he's capable of on D really?

As for what's up KOC's sleeve? Al Jefferson and Raja Bell. We already got more than we ever expected. If there's more, then "WOOO!", if not, then whatever. Again, it's already better than most expected this off season to be.

I'd like to see us hold on to AK, see how we play together for half a season to see where our holes might be, then use his expiring to try and plug that hole for the second half and into the playoffs.

Great points. And also to sirkicky on his roster analysis. Jazz could upgrade over Jeffers and Gaines, but it would take the right player for KOC to go in and ask for Gail to open up her purse.

I don't think AK's trade value is all that high right now. Teams don't start thinking about dumping salaries and players until they're near the deadline and pretty much out of the playoff picture. About the only team that's acknowledged they're in full rebuilding mode is Minnesota.

I've been a huge AK critic - maybe even the biggest. But I absolutely agree with KhaOZ abotu holding AK until the deadline. Right now the Jazz have a few question marks:
1. How healthy will Okur be to start the season?
2. Can Millsap play 35 mins/per without fouling out?
3. Is Raja a 30 min/per starter at SG?
4. How much can Hayward contribute right away off the bench?

AK figures prominently in all those situations.
A. If Memo isn't ready to play major minutes, Jefferson will have to be a full-time 5. And AK will have to backup Millsap.
B. If Millsap is constantly in foul trouble, AK could see some time at PF.
C. If Raja struggles a bit with trying to play 30 mins, then CJ will have to play more at the 2 - and that leaves more time for AK at the 3.
D. If Gordon can't give 10-15 mins off the bench, then the 2/3 becomes a 3-man rotation with Raja, CJ and AK all getting 30+ mins.

I still think that our biggest weakness is back up PG. Sign Fes and lets hope that he and AJ improve defensivly this year. We still should be targeting Shannon Brown and Anthony Tolliver. We could use the rest of the Mid level on Brown and Vet min on Tolliver. If KOC could pull this off it would be icing on the best Jazz offseason ever. We can deal with the lux tax issues at the trade deadline.

I still think that our biggest weakness is back up PG. Sign Fes and lets hope that he and AJ improve defensivly this year. We still should be targeting Shannon Brown and Anthony Tolliver. We could use the rest of the Mid level on Brown and Vet min on Tolliver. If KOC could pull this off it would be icing on the best Jazz offseason ever. We can deal with the lux tax issues at the trade deadline.

How can you use the Vet Min on a guy that has played 1 year in the NBA?

You can't. But I would like to see him on the Jazz roster and did read last week (on Yahoo! Sports) that the Jazz were in the mix to sign him.

Brown is overhyped. I don't think there is anything good about him, other than jumping high.

How can you use the Vet Min on a guy that has played 1 year in the NBA?

You can't. But I would like to see him on the Jazz roster and did read last week (on Yahoo! Sports) that the Jazz were in the mix to sign him.

Brown is overhyped. I don't think there is anything good about him, other than jumping high.

He is entering his third year. What is the rule on the Vet min?

He is entering his third year. What is the rule on the Vet min?

Its got to be more than that. He has only played a total of 65 games in the NBA. The Jazz still have a chunk of their MLE, I would think its more than enough to sign him.

Why do you say that? The Jazz have given him a QO. He hasn't signed an "offer sheet" with anyone.

I think you may be referring to the fact that if the Jazz don't revoke the offer sheet by Friday then Fes has the option to sign it per the Larry Coon FAQ.

That doesn't mean the contract situation has to be resolved by tomorrow, it only means that the Jazz won't be able to force him into unrestricted free agency if they don't rescind the QO by tomorrow. We could be sitting on Fes contract negotiations for another couple of months.

Thanks. I wasn't sure what the QO rules were. 'preciatecha.

Did u seriously just say that? Lets see, Brown can dribble, can defend, can shoot better than most of our current players. What else do you want him to do? He even gets these insane blocks and hustles! Brown can only jump high my ***

If the Jazz play the year with that 13 I would say that is front office loyalty to the max. This is the perfect opportunity to bring in some non guaranteed guys with talent and let them scrap it out vs. Jeffers, Gaines and Evans and may the best player win.

shannon brown isn't good enough to sit bell, CJ, ak or hayward down AND he can't play point. so why would we sign him?

i honestly think the jazz are done making big moves this offseason. they'll fill out the roster with cheap free agents, but the core is pretty much set. which doesn't terribly bother me, except that it's pretty obvious all we've done is tread water. we lost boozer, so we replaced him with a player that does one thing better than him and several things not quite as well as him. we lost matthews so we replaced him with a guy who does several things better but has less long-term potential. we lost korver and replaced him with a scronny kid who has skills and smarts, but is far from a sure thing.

other than those three player swaps, aren't we pretty much exactly the same team? that means that if we are going to get significantly better than last year, it's going to have to be based on internal improvements (CJ or AK, maybe) or chemistry (like that jeff and sap can play better together than booz and sap).

As much as I've wanted to get rid of AK over the years I want him in Utah next season.
I want to see AK in a contract year with Boozer gone. He's probably going to give more effort this season, and have more opportunity.

He owes us some great play. Maybe this year we'll actually see some.

More like ownership owes the fans an apology for signing Kirilenko to such a ridiculous contract.

Though, considering how many still defend AK and the FO, that's perhaps a stretch as well. Much like representative democracy that represents no one but special interests -- itself an indictment on the average citizen's redolent ignorance -- Jazz fans that continually excuse and defend such moronic moves in selfsame and bellicose fashion, are in some ironic fashion being represented by being so willing to be screwed. Circular, almost in the same vein or venue as contortionist with his head up his ***.

Bottom line, the Jazz made a big mistake giving Kirilenko that deal. **** happens, that's one thing. But to continually compound it by holding onto such a toxic player is itself unforgivable from my perspective.

That we have people on this thread defending the idea of the Jazz "contending" without a shot-blocking C, but with Okur in his place, shows that the stupidity surrounding the AK contact and never-ending defense(s) of it, are not even outliers for this board.

One hopes that isn't the case for the overall fanbase. Therefore, I at least have hope that my opening paragraph is not obviated.

More like ownership owes the fans an apology for signing Kirilenko to such a ridiculous contract.

Though, considering how many still defend AK and the FO, that's perhaps a stretch as well. Much like representative democracy that represents no one but special interests -- itself an indictment on the average citizen's redolent ignorance -- Jazz fans that continually excuse and defend such moronic moves in selfsame and bellicose fashion, are in some ironic fashion being represented by being so willing to be screwed. Circular, almost in the same vein or venue as contortionist with his head up his ***.

Bottom line, the Jazz made a big mistake giving Kirilenko that deal. **** happens, that's one thing. But to continually compound it by holding onto such a toxic player is itself unforgivable from my perspective.

That we have people on this thread defending the idea of the Jazz "contending" without a shot-blocking C, but with Okur in his place, shows that the stupidity surrounding the AK contact and never-ending defense(s) of it, are not even outliers for this board.

One hopes that isn't the case for the overall fanbase. Therefore, I at least have hope that my opening paragraph is not obviated.

So you're saying you're excited at the notion of re-upping AK next summer for four more years?