What's new

What Gilbert Arenas Told Donovan Mitchell After Watching His Playoff Performance

Joncolton

This is pretty fascinating stuff. I wonder if it would be possible to see a shot chart of his games vs Denver and how many shots he took on the right side vs the left. I'll be keeping an eye out for this going forward.

I'll have to watch for it, but its a pretty big exaggeration to say 95% of his talent is in going to his left.

I mean, I guess I'm not paying enough attention these days to the X's and O's but I thought the book on Donovan is that he's too right-hand dominant.

I mean, I guess I'm not paying enough attention these days to the X's and O's but I thought the book on Donovan is that he's too right-hand dominant.

You can be right-hand dominate with a preference of finishing on the left side of the hoop and or driving to your left. That's what I took away from his critique, that Donovan is more comfortable/prefers to finish/shoot going to the left.

As a left-handed player one of my favorite shots was a fall-away going right at about 16-18 feet off a fast right-handed dribble. It catches people easily off-guard, easy money. But at the high school level and in rec league stuff they struggle to guard lefties as it is.

You can be right-hand dominate with a preference of finishing on the left side of the hoop and or driving to your left. That's what I took away from his critique, that Donovan is more comfortable/prefers to finish/shoot going to the left.

He goes hard left, he'll try and dunk, take it right at you ... but if he goes right he's either shooting a floater, an off-footed layup, or spinning back the the left. Teams would much rather him shoot a floater then try to get all the way to the rim.