What's new

What has to happen? Start Memo

Golfman

There has been tons of lineup talk, and this has probably been suggested (but not really dissected), but I think starting Memo would be the key to solving our first quarter woes. Here's why: Millsap and Jefferson bring similar stuff to the table, and neither are a great outside threat. Put in Memo, and it immediately would spread the floor and help either Jeffersons or Millsaps post up games. This would also help out the 2nd unit, which would have Miles and Jefferson/Millsap and should be pretty serviceable. Memo plays the best with DWill and other great players on the floor, because it is easier for him to get open. When he plays with the 2nd unit teams can focus on him more because there aren't as many threats to score.

And another thing, I think it's nonsense to even think about starting Fes. Our weakness is mainly scoring in the 1st quarter, and he and his career 39.5% FT shooting is not going to help us in that area. Memo is. Although defense may suffer a bit with Memo in, but not by much.

This has to happen. I wouldn't mind Bell leaving the starting lineup either, but first things first.

Have you really watched Memo so far this year? Sincerely. Nobody even knows if he will be able to play at his previous level. No way. If there is a lineup change to be made, you are right that to an extent IMO, frontcourt play has been the biggest reason for terrible starts and horrendous offensive execution. BigAl has long long ways to go to be the player the coaching staff expects him to be but he seems to suck at progressing in this offense. However, the change cannot be inserting Memo, at this moment.

How about no, Scott?

dr_evil.jpg

Have you really watched Memo so far this year? Sincerely. Nobody even knows if he will be able to play at his previous level. No way. If there is a lineup change to be made, you are right that to an extent IMO, frontcourt play has been the biggest reason for terrible starts and horrendous offensive execution. BigAl has long long ways to go to be the player the coaching staff expects him to be but he seems to suck at progressing in this offense. However, the change cannot be inserting Memo, at this moment.

So we keep it the same? Most people have come to realize the whole Al/Millsap frontcourt is not working. Even stupid Bill Simmons can agree with that, as he mentioned on his last podcast. Just ain't gonna work.

Memo has looked liked pure garbage all year. He sucks. Even if he miraculously gets healthy, he'll still suck. I highly doubt we'll ever see the Memo of old (and even he wasn't that great) again.

The guy has only played in 13 games since rupturing his achilles. Give him just a bit more time.

That's true but some fans here, I suppose, have never seen a player going through that kind of a mentally and physically tough process in professional sports, so you can just ignore their ignorance. I appreciate him putting great effort to come back and showing his competitive spirit and commitment to the organization.

We did not expect him to play very well after coming back (it's impossible to expect, just do a research about the performances of athletes that ruptured their achilles after recovery) but we needed him to be able to contribute on a consistent basis. I think Memo rushed it back a little bit, he should have been more patient, nobody put pressure on him to come back as soon as possible. The Jazz were not in a tough situation. These minor, nagging injuries probably would not happen -at least not that frequently- and he, by now, would be playing consistently and regaining game shape.

IMHO Memo is the least of our worries right now. He is probably right where he needs to be in his rehab, he just needs time. We need to fix Bell. Anyone know Tonya Hardings number?

The guy has only played in 13 games since rupturing his achilles. Give him just a bit more time.

I am not a big Memo lover, but I hope he get well and gets back. Moving him into the starting line-up, Al to power forward and Millsap coming off the bench might improve us. But having said that I hope you realize that the chances of ever winning a championship with Memo as the starting center will likely never happen. The Laker just release Gasol on the fast break and he gets a lay-up or fouled, because Memo is so slow getting back on defense.