What's new

what hayward could bring to the table

Let's pretend for a minute that our main goal is not to match up with the lakers. Everybody is talking about how we desperately need a big to match the lakers frontline. Ed Davis and Cole Aldrich would have done nothing to help us there IMO.

In Gordon Hayward, we have a kid with a great attitude who is willing to learn. He might not have star potential, but I could see him as a player who can take a lot of pressure off dwill. He has great size for a 3, is semi athletic, and can dribble, penetrate, and pass. Everyone has been so focused on matching the lakers after they swept us that they forget one of our needs is a guy like Hayward. He is a point forward who I think is crafty enough to take the ball to the hole and draw some attention from the opposing d.

Call me an idiot, but I think he has the potential to turn into a nice complementary scoring threat next to dwill. He can create his own shot, which makes us more dangerous against every team but the lakers. What do you all think about his potential?

Let's pretend for a minute that our main goal is not to match up with the lakers. Everybody is talking about how we desperately need a big to match the lakers frontline. Ed Davis and Cole Aldrich would have done nothing to help us there IMO.

In Gordon Hayward, we have a kid with a great attitude who is willing to learn. He might not have star potential, but I could see him as a player who can take a lot of pressure off dwill. He has great size for a 3, is semi athletic, and can dribble, penetrate, and pass. Everyone has been so focused on matching the lakers after they swept us that they forget one of our needs is a guy like Hayward. He is a point forward who I think is crafty enough to take the ball to the hole and draw some attention from the opposing d.

Call me an idiot, but I think he has the potential to turn into a nice complementary scoring threat next to dwill. He can create his own shot, which makes us more dangerous against every team but the lakers. What do you all think about his potential?

He does not have GREAT SIZE for a 3. That's urban legend. He's about as average as you get imo.

Everything with Hayward is going come down to all those intangibles translating. Like anyone, I worry that the game is going to be too fast and athletic for him. But you have to assume KOC and Co. accounted for that in their thinking, and didn't simply feel confident he would make a fine member of the Salt Lake community. Day 6 of talking myself into Hayward is progressing.

Yeah I can see why Davis wouldn't have helped. He only averaged nearly 10 boards and 3 blocks a game in the toughest basketball conference in the NCAA.

Why? I've had Ed Davis as a bust long before the draft ever happened. You think he's the next Amare or something?

I'm not saying it is clear as day we should have drafted Davis. He has plenty of detractors. But if he fails in the league, it won't be for lack of athleticism. And we specifically need long, athletic players. If Davis turns into a Josh Smith type of talent, we're going to remember this draft the wrong way unless Hayward fulfills expectations.

I'm not saying it is clear as day we should have drafted Davis. He has plenty of detractors. But if he fails in the league, it won't be for lack of athleticism. And we specifically need long, athletic players. If Davis turns into a Josh Smith type of talent, we're going to remember this draft the wrong way unless Hayward fulfills expectations.

What expectations. I have Haywad being AWS. Anything better than that is icing on the hardcourt cake.

One, Josh Smith is nothing special. He'd be a solid 3rd or 4th option on a great team.
Two, Ed Davis is quite athletic but not in the same category as Josh Smith and unlike Smith, I see none off that supposed athleticism on game footage.

So we need long, athletic players who can't play?

One, Josh Smith is nothing special. He'd be a solid 3rd or 4th option on a great team.
Two, Ed Davis is quite athletic but not in the same category as Josh Smith and unlike Smith, I see none off that supposed athleticism on game footage.

I obviously can't defend Davis since that's all subjective at this point. But even in the context of hyperbole, Josh Smith is very, very far from 'nothing special.' He was a legit 'snub' from the All Star team and 3rd or 4th option makes it sound like he was the 3rd or 4th best player on the Hawks. If I had to pick a player from the Hawks, it wouldn't be Johnson, it would be Smith. I'd be thrilled to have Josh Smith on the Jazz, not just because we have little frontcourt talent. That kid is 24, coming into his prime, already a defensive force, and his offensive game is very good, if not exceptional. So I don't care if you don't think Davis is Josh Smith, but don't go down the road Josh Smith isn't a fantastic player.