What's new

What type of player do we put next to Mitchell?

I think it has to be a stretch four. Not just a stretch four, but an elite shooter to really open up lanes. Preferably someone who can rebound, too. That’s why I say a prime Troy Murphy or even a Kevin Love. Honestly, I know people wouldn’t view Love as consistent with our time table but I think he’d actually be a reasonable piece to pick up on the downslope of his career.

I think I’m a bit traumatized from the last couple years of not really having anyone besides Rudy on the glass, especially after seeing guys like Boris getting slaughtered by DeAndre on the glass. Granted this year isn’t as bad as we’ve got Favors healthy and Udoh, who isn’t necessarily a strong rebounder but worlds of difference from Boris and Lyles.

I don’t think we can land Gordon. But I think if/when LeBron leaves, we could possibly land Love. His salary ain’t ideal, but you don’t have to go looking for big pieces after that, just continue to round out the roster with Thabos, Udohs and Jerebkos. When one of your franchise cornerstones is on a rookie contract, it gives flexibility that we should cash in on if there’s a decent return.

Hayward would've been absolutely perfect. I know nobody wants to hear that.
Maybe we could get involved in a three way that sends AD to Boston and Whoward back here. I’d take him, but him joining the team again would have to be similar to getting jumped in to a gang.

But for real, a playmaking, stretchy 4 would be the thing to put next to Gobert and Mitchell. Which is why option 1A for me is to put the Jazz in the best position possible to somehow pry Porzingis away from the Knicks.

Okay, here they are for real:

-legit, stretchy big that still does big things and can guard on switches (aka a ****ing unicorn)
-Combo guard in the vein of George Hill or Chauncey Billups
-Joe Ingles
-Rudy Gobert

Okay, here they are for real:

-legit, stretchy big that still does big things and can guard on switches (aka a ****ing unicorn)
-Combo guard in the vein of George Hill or Chauncey Billups
-Joe Ingles
-Rudy Gobert

As much as I love Exum, this would be pretty awesome.

But for real, a playmaking, stretchy 4 would be the thing to put next to Gobert and Mitchell. Which is why option 1A for me is to put the Jazz in the best position possible to somehow pry Porzingis away from the Knicks.

We'd have a better chance getting Giannis.

Porzingis would be awesome, but I don't think we need to put all of our expectations into signing a big fish in free agency. We have zero history of signing a really big player in free agency. Our best has been Boozer, and that came with mixed results.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Porzingis would be awesome, but I don't think we need to put all of our expectations into signing a big fish in free agency. We have zero history of signing a really big player in free agency. Our best has been Boozer, and that came with mixed results.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
Who said anything about expectations?

And Boozer didn't really come with mixed results, it came with the best era of Jazz basketball outside of Stockton and Malone.

Y'all can dream about signing Kelly Oubre, I'm going to hope the Jazz try to do something worth dreaming about.

Last edited:
IMO we should be attempting to acquire that game-changing stretch 4 thru the draft (which is why I still support tanking). We're unlikely to attract a FA of that caliber or acquire 1 without having to give up Gobert or Mitchell. But we're also unlikely to end up picking high enough to draft that caliber of player.

But Parker is an exception as we appear to have a reasonable chance of signing him. He's shown he is likely capable of being a go-to scorer, appears to fit well next to Gobert (+ the rest of the starting unit), & fits with our timeline. But the injuries are a major concern, even more so if he requires the max (which seems possible/likely).

If we are picking mid-late teens & unable to move up to acquire that potential elite stretch 4, assuming there are worthwhile plausible targets (I haven't been paying much attention to this year's draft class), without giving up Gobert/Mitchell, I think we have to do everything possible to attempt to pry Parker away from MIL (& pray he stays healthy) as this is a rare opportunity for a small-market franchise to acquire a young, potential star without burning assets (outside of cap space).

I strongly believe that acquiring an impact stretch 4 is the key to us potentially contending in the future. If it's not feasable to do so thru this year's draft, IMO we can't afford to pass up the opportunity to acquire a talent the caliber of Parker for just money (or a reasonable trade package if we can get a deal in place). Especially considering we already have 2 of the necessary 3 young impact players + a solid supporting cast (assuming we sign him outright/trade minimal assets).

PG would likely need to eventually be addressed (although using this year's 1st rd pick is likely the most economical route) as Rubio doesn't seem to be the long-term answer & Exum is a huge question mark.

Exum/draft pick
Mitchell
Ingles/Hood
Parker
Gobert

If any of Exum, Hood, or the draft pick develop into (atleast) all-star caliber players, we would have a young, complimentary, (potentially) championship caliber core. Although committing the max to Parker has the potential to turn into a long-term cap crippling mistake, IMO this is likely our best & possibly only possibility (outside of a 3rd DEN fleecing) of diverting from the path to 2nd-tier "contender" that we appear to currently be on.

You know who'd be good... Fournier out in Orlando. Good shooter... can create... solid defender. Him and Rudy are boys too.

Orlando is really sucking and if they retain Gordon and Payton next year I think they are awfully close to the tax line without a lot of moveable pieces. I normally do not advise trading our first round picks, but I'd consider a top-10 protected pick and expiring contracts for him. He'd give us Hood insurance... either for injury or if he got a huge deal.

I'm not sure he'd be on the block though and a first rounder may not be enough. Just throwing that one back out there.

You know who'd be good... Fournier out in Orlando. Good shooter... can create... solid defender. Him and Rudy are boys too.

Orlando is really sucking and if they retain Gordon and Payton next year I think they are awfully close to the tax line without a lot of moveable pieces. I normally do not advise trading our first round picks, but I'd consider a top-10 protected pick and expiring contracts for him. He'd give us Hood insurance... either for injury or if he got a huge deal.

I'm not sure he'd be on the block though and a first rounder may not be enough. Just throwing that one back out there.
Didn't Hood just drop mad bombs on 'em? What about Hood?

Payday coming up is probably an issue.

Didn't Hood just drop mad bombs on 'em? What about Hood?

Payday coming up is probably an issue.

Maybe but the idea was they need to cut salary a little. They have options though (don't re-sign Payton, stretch Ross, only sign minimum dudes to fill out next year's roster). I think if they totally decided to rebuild he'd be an option, but with AG's FA pending I'm not sure they are ready to do that. They are stuck and should really tear the whole thing down though.

Evan is not likely on the trading block unless he wants to be.