What's new

What Would Have to be Included in a LaVine Trade to Make it Acceptable?

Saint Cy of JFC

2022 Award Winner
They own Portland's 2025 Lotto protected pick that remains Lotto protected til 2028 and they owe their 2025 top ten protected

Would it be Lavine/Portland pick for Collins/Clarkson?

The Portland pick isn't very valuable given it turns into a 2028 second if it isn't conveyed within the next 4 drafts, but is Portland going to be that bad that long? Would they be willing to put Ayo in? Ayo would definitely send it over the top for me.

For me it is just the wrong direction to go but if we were to go that route then I want that blazers pick. Normally I would want Ayo but then we are looking at a minutes crunch in the backcourt which I don't want. I really want to see Sensabaugh get a consistent 20+ minutes a game this year to see what he can do.

For me it is just the wrong direction to go but if we were to go that route then I want that blazers pick. Normally I would want Ayo but then we are looking at a minutes crunch in the backcourt which I don't want. I really want to see Sensabaugh get a consistent 20+ minutes a game this year to see what he can do.
Ayo is potentially the next Caruso and you care about a minutes crunch? Lmfao

Ayo is potentially the next Caruso and you care about a minutes crunch? Lmfao
I’d imagine the trade of Caruso means they want to keep Ayo. I think they are more likely to include draft capital than good young players… just based on the fact they got no picks in the Caruso deal and had opportunities to do so the last couple years.

I’d imagine the trade of Caruso means they want to keep Ayo. I think they are more likely to include draft capital than good young players… just based on the fact they got no picks in the Caruso deal and had opportunities to do so the last couple years.
I'm sure they want to too, but I don't really care what they want if I'm Ainge. They want to pay LaVine or not?

I would take any one of these:

Portland’s top-14 protected 1st

29/32 for 11 swap

Pick swap in 2026 or 2028

Ayo Dosunmu

I’d prefer getting 11, then probably Ayo, then the pick swap but I’d settle for Portland’s first if I had to.

Giddey is probably going to put up stupid stats so he is going to get paid next year. And they may have to overpay to keep Williams. They would definitely have to overpay to keep DDR. Really curious to what their plan is if there is a plan

Nothing makes it acceptable. The guy plays losing basketball, will come in dick swinging, is oft-injured, and will end up wanting way too much money considering all that. Add in he probably sucks as a leader and it’s a no-brainer no.
Although, if they wanted to give us, say, multiple 1st round picks, and other such capital, then maybe. Just to enter the tank.

The Beal deal not working out well and Phoenix being in tax hell without much to show for it likely suppresses Lavines value. If it had worked out better they could have maybe talked a contender into doing some expiring salary for Zach type of thing. I think Orlando may be their best shot at a get out of jail card. If that option closes up they may have to roll with him for now.

The Beal deal not working out well and Phoenix being in tax hell without much to show for it likely suppresses Lavines value. If it had worked out better they could have maybe talked a contender into doing some expiring salary for Zach type of thing. I think Orlando may be their best shot at a get out of jail card. If that option closes up they may have to roll with him for now.
I wonder how much the foot surgery plays into it as well

So I just gotta say, I'm super skeptical of this rumor. Might happen. I don't hate the trade if what's going out is John Collins and Jordan Clarkson.

But Philadelphia's front office already told their local sports reporters that they're not interested in LaVine, haven't been interested in LaVine. And meanwhile you have the local Chicago reporters saying that the trade market is deepening for LaVine and Utah and Philly are heavily involved.

If I were a GM wanting to drive up interest on a player who, due to his salary isn't developing much interest on the trade market, I'd leak that the team with the most draft assets in the league was interested too. Guess we'll see. I wouldn't be shocked either way, but I don't see Ainge giving up anything more than a second here along with the outgoing salary.

Just thinking out loud...

What would it take for Lavine to be a positive trade asset with his contract? Be healthy and stay healthy. Probably make the all star game, or put up good numbers on a winning team. What are the chances of those things happening? In my opinion probably low, so I don't think I can flip his contract for anything other than at best neutral value.

How much does his contract limit what I can do for the next three years? If I'm trying to lose and play rookies, not much. In that case I want pick #11. But, do I really want Lavine as my vet on a team that is learning/growing, probably not. If I'm trying to win then I want guys who are cheap and good players, I'm not sure Chicago has anything that would do that.

So basically I can't really think of a scenario where I would think the reward would be worth the risk.

Back