What's new

What's the last/best book you read?

Mystery as in Dean Koontz and Dan Brown, or something more hardboiled and noir? If it's the latter, and if you can stomach extreme violence, you should check out Altered Carbon. And take my warning about violence seriously! If you want something a bit less violent and more existential and contemplative, check out The City and the City by China Mieville. I don't know much about the more mainstream stuff, but you were asking for something more engaging anyway.

I'll take a pass on the extreme violence, but I'll give The City and the City a try.

Tolstoy and Hemingway? Check out the big brains on the jazz board. I'm afraid my selections are going to blue collar this thread up a bit. Right now I just finished the Wastelands in Stephen King's excellent Gunslinger series. My all-time favorite read is The Stand, also by King. I enjoy to read and do so quite a bit, but don't have as much time to dedicate to it as I'd like. Every year around early November I read A Time for Trumpets, which is a great account of the Battle of Bulge. Lets see, I also read a book at the start of every baseball season called The Code (about baseballs unwritten rules).

To the author of the thread since this seems up your alley, check out a book called Supersize Me. The movie was based off of it, but it contains quite a few secrets about the fast food industry.

Tolstoy and Hemingway? Check out the big brains on the jazz board. I'm afraid my selections are going to blue collar this thread up a bit. Right now I just finished the Wastelands in Stephen King's excellent Gunslinger series. My all-time favorite read is The Stand, also by King. I enjoy to read and do so quite a bit, but don't have as much time to dedicate to it as I'd like. Every year around early November I read A Time for Trumpets, which is a great account of the Battle of Bulge. Lets see, I also read a book at the start of every baseball season called The Code (about baseballs unwritten rules).

To the author of the thread since this seems up your alley, check out a book called Supersize Me. The movie was based off of it, but it contains quite a few secrets about the fast food industry.

The Code sounds interesting. I'll have to make a library trip to get it and The City and the City.

One of my favorite reads is "The Mist" by Stephen King. I would LOVE it if he wrote a full book/novel on that storyline. It is a fantastic story. Not the botched ending added to the movie for dramatical purposes. In the book the Mist is still in full force so anything could happen...

One of my favorite reads is "The Mist" by Stephen King. I would LOVE it if he wrote a full book/novel on that storyline. It is a fantastic story. Not the botched ending added to the movie for dramatical purposes. In the book the Mist is still in full force so anything could happen...

King is always great, but I think he's at his finest with his short stories and novellas. In Full Dark No Stars the first novella is one of the eeriest and best things I've ever read. He even gives a shout out to Ogden UT in it.

King is always great, but I think he's at his finest with his short stories and novellas. In Full Dark No Stars the first novella is one of the eeriest and best things I've ever read. He even gives a shout out to Ogden UT in it.

Is he the one that wrote about that oil slick in a lake up in the mountains that eats people? That was creepy.

I'm just finishing up "Dream Team" by Jack McCallum. It's decent but could use a little less "I" from the writer and a lot more "Karl Malone".