What's new

What's The Last Movie You’ve Seen?

Unpopular opinion time: Mad Max: Fury Road was a fun movie but ultimately it's a two-hour car chase film. We will not be lamenting when it doesn't get a mention at Oscar time. As a late-installment of a B-level action franchise, it isn't even as good as 2013's Riddick. It certainly is not worthy of a 98% Rottentomatoes rating; higher than Die Hard and Terminator 2 which are the consensus best films in the whole action genre. Hell, it's got better reviews than Casablanca.

Flame-throwing double guitars are cool. Now lets get sane about how "good" this movie is.

Is it a life changing movie? No, but is it extremely enjoyable for nearly every single minute that it is running? Yes. Not many, if any movies can say that.

Super_Poster.jpg

Much better than Kick-***

If you are cultured, classy and literate like myself and don't mind subtitles the you should probably watch The Hunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Umv4CyxTdg

Great movie, great acting, great ending. One of the best I've seen in recent memory.

I second this. A solid film.

I second this. A solid film.

Aren't you going to rep the crap out of that post. Or hold it hostage in the basement and rep it repeatedly in the ***. Or tie it up and make it watch you rep its mom or something?

I haven't started watching GOT yet, still reading.

Just watched Mr. Turner. Pretty well-done bio pic. A bit like a period-piece version of 'Basquiat' which was mentioned a few pages back. I definitely preferred Basquiat doe. Solid film, fairly boring. 6.5 out of 10.

Just added to my list...

Re; The Hunt

If you are cultured, classy and literate like myself and don't mind subtitles the you should probably watch The Hunt.

Great movie, great acting, great ending. One of the best I've seen in recent memory.

This movie was referenced earlier in this thread and I'm glad I took heed of the advice to watch it because it is a fantastic film. I think it's a movie that anyone can watch regardless of their class.

Re: Windy City Heat

I put this on my netflix queue about 18 months ago after reading this Steven Hyden article on Grantland about the "Greatest Prank Ever Pulled."

https://grantland.com/features/windy-city-heat-10-years-later-history-comedy-store/

Sure enough, time passes and this worked its way to the top. The film is essentially a feature length prank pulled on one exceptionally dim-witted jerk to make him think he's the star of a movie that, in actuality, doesn't exist. This mostly involves putting him through humiliating exercises, like repeatedly filming a "stunt" in which he has to be dumped repeatedly into a trash can full of increasingly high levels of manure. I'm not sure I enjoyed it, but I'm glad I watched it.

This looks damn good. I'll definitely give it a watch.

I've watched more than a few films in the last couple of months, so I'll just post off the top of my head...

I did some catching up and finally watched Philomena. What an absolutely fantastic movie. Be forewarned though, there are no explosions in this film and I don't know what it registers on the tautness scale but it's a well acted movie. Well, most movies with Dame Judi Dench are and Philomena is no exception. Throw in an acerbic Steve Coogan and you have a well balanced film.

Great trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG3QP8foCvg

92% on RT

I'm going to go see that spy movie tonight.

Watched JupiterAscending last night. I am normally pretty forgiving of a movie others consider bad as long as I am entertained but I ended this thinking it was pretty meh. I expected more from the Wachowski's. As is the norm nowadays, very heavy on the CGI and very poor on the story. There was nothing special about the heroine that made you care whether she lived, died, succeeded or failed.

There was nothing special about the heroine
She is super hot though. (I'm a mila homer, she is my favorite)

I decided a couple of months back to not only continue watching current flicks but to get through the Criterion collection...

So, I started with:

Grand Illusion (1937) | Criterion #1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fAiIqVLf4E

It's a "war" movie which is less about war than it is class and aristocracy. I will say you have to be in the right mood to watch it and to understand the message of the film. The story of the film negative alone makes watching the movie in the comforts of your own home rather surreal.

97% on RT | 4 / 4 Stars from Ebert (If you get a chance, you should definitely read Ebert's review which gives a lot of background on the movie.)

Saw spy tonight. Really funny. I highly recommend it.

Mcarthys best movie by far (though that's not saying much..... I did think Heat was ok though)

it-follows-movie-poster.jpg

Got a 96% score on RT so I checked on it, mixed on it, it does deliver on some ways(great atmosphere, genuinely scary at times)but man it sure becomes repetitive and starts to fall apart in the 2nd half of the movie(how they decide to kill it at the end is pretty absurd) so I'm surprised it got as high score it did, maybe because the horror movie genre is flooded with horrible movies this movie seem great in comparison.

Can't decide if I want to watch The Babadook or not, who has seen it?

it-follows-movie-poster.jpg

Got a 96% score on RT so I checked on it, mixed on it, it does deliver on some ways(great atmosphere, genuinely scary at times)but man it sure becomes repetitive and starts to fall apart in the 2nd half of the movie(how they decide to kill it at the end is pretty absurd) so I'm surprised it got as high score it did, maybe because the horror movie genre is flooded with horrible movies this movie seem great in comparison.

Can't decide if I want to watch The Babadook or not, who has seen it?
I hated It Follows.
Babadook was better and an ok movie.