What's new

When this team gets a lead

idestroyedthetoilet

Maybe someone else wants to go through game logs to verify, but I can't recall the Jazz blowing a big lead, or many back and forth games. This is a different brand of domination that I'm used to watching from good Jazz teams.

Maybe someone else wants to go through game logs to verify, but I can't recall the Jazz blowing a big lead, or many back and forth games. This is a different brand of domination that I'm used to watching from good Jazz teams.
Reminds me of the 2015 Warriors. Can take a 10 pt lead or more in the blink of an eye, and then after that there's no catching them.

The only one I can think of is the Knicks. I think we were up like 15 at half and they came back in the fourth quarter and won.

We were up 18 on the Knicks and lost. But I think we have a ridiculous when we get up 20 over the last several years. Like 90something wins and 0 losses

And the biggest change from last year to this is...

Favors

Our bench doesn't suck, it dominates. Props to Derrick Favors for leading the bench!
I think this is the first season we are seeing the mythical "organic improvement" of a year together, a year for Ingles to get used to coming off the bench, for Conley to get used to the system, to fully integrate clarkson, etc. And we added favors who didn't need that year like everyone else did. We are seeing where happens when everyone buys in and enjoys playing with each other and cheers each other on. It's a beautiful thing and might be the recipe for the best jazz team ever.

i think favors is a significant add to the team, but the “biggest” difference is that multiple players are a step up from last year. Conley is much better as we all know. If he’s open for three I assume it is going in and his pick and roll work is a delight to watch. Clarkson is much better. ( I often hold my head like Niang did last night in awe of Clarkson). Niang has more elements to his game now. I used to dread his entrance into game. Not anymore. Royce shooting the three is at super hero percentage. And spida is better. His step back stuff, his 3’s, his mid range shake and bake stuff, his assisting, is all significantly better. I do the Niang head hold at time on his play at times as well. And of course favors is better than tony, but favors app appears better than ever because his role suits him (no corer threes, no 15-18 ft pick and pop jumpers. He simply plays to his skills in the big scheme. Joe and Rudy don’t look all that improved individually. But they are thriving in the system in which was made for them. Both O and D are designed around Rudy. And Joe is our best playmaker (well this year Conley and Mitchell are now his peer). And finally Bogie is the only player who has regressed. He didn’t truly experience the enlightenment of the bubble whic I think occurred for the players: “we truly can be among the best if not the best” He spent time recovering rather than perfecting his game. And finally credit quin and org for getting each player and the system improved.
And on different but related note, this whole team improvement and team play is one reason (not the only reason) for the lack of media coverage for the jazz. 9 guys scoring 13 points each doesn’t sell as well as Harden scoring 50 a night. Or a season of triple doubles by Westbrook. You’d think the jazz would be a media focus right now. But no.... you have shaq and Kenny the jet making up metrics on why spida Mitchell isn’t a legit superstar.

i think favors is a significant add to the team, but the “biggest” difference is that multiple players are a step up from last year. Conley is much better as we all know. If he’s open for three I assume it is going in and his pick and roll work is a delight to watch. Clarkson is much better. ( I often hold my head like Niang did last night in awe of Clarkson). Niang has more elements to his game now. I used to dread his entrance into game. Not anymore. Royce shooting the three is at super hero percentage. And spida is better. His step back stuff, his 3’s, his mid range shake and bake stuff, his assisting, is all significantly better. I do the Niang head hold at time on his play at times as well. And of course favors is better than tony, but favors app appears better than ever because his role suits him (no corer threes, no 15-18 ft pick and pop jumpers. He simply plays to his skills in the big scheme. Joe and Rudy don’t look all that improved individually. But they are thriving in the system in which was made for them. Both O and D are designed around Rudy. And Joe is our best playmaker (well this year Conley and Mitchell are now his peer). And finally Bogie is the only player who has regressed. He didn’t truly experience the enlightenment of the bubble whic I think occurred for the players: “we truly can be among the best if not the best” He spent time recovering rather than perfecting his game. And finally credit quin and org for getting each player and the system improved.
And on different but related note, this whole team improvement and team play is one reason (not the only reason) for the lack of media coverage for the jazz. 9 guys scoring 13 points each doesn’t sell as well as Harden scoring 50 a night. Or a season of triple doubles by Westbrook. You’d think the jazz would be a media focus right now. But no.... you have shaq and Kenny the jet making up metrics on why spida Mitchell isn’t a legit superstar.
Y'know, maybe the old Dennis Lindsay chestnut about "internal development" being the offseason development is finally paying off and is no longer malarkey.

Internal development is real. The Spurs did it for years, but they’re one of the few. So while it is real, it it rare. And system perfecting is rare. Jazz of old and spurs did it.
I didn’t know if jazz of today could do it. But now I see it each game

There's a lot of good here, except you're underselling Gobert's growth as a more complete player. Notably, his passing is another level or two better and it is one of the reasons everything is working better. He's passing out of the roll, including no-look passes that look-off what would otherwise be steals which both feeds the team's insane synergy and leads to more threes, both of which forces the defense to stay on their toes and pick their poison instead of simply collapsing every time Gobert gets the ball in the paint with success. That change on its own is de-clogging the lane for his roll-work and leading to universally better shots for the team.

Last edited:
There's a lot of good here, except you're underselling Gobert's growth as a more complete player. Notably, his passing is another level or two better and it is one of the reasons everything is working better. He's passing out of the roll, including no-look passes that look-off what would otherwise be steals which both feeds the synergy this team is feeding on and leads to more threes, both of which forces the defense to stay on their toes and pick their poison instead of simply collapsing every time Gobert gets the ball in the paint with success. That change on its own is de-clogging the lane for his roll-work and leading to universally better shots for the team.
He’s improved as a finisher, too.

There's a lot of good here, except you're underselling Gobert's growth as a more complete player. Notably, his passing is another level or two better and it is one of the reasons everything is working better. He's passing out of the roll, including no-look passes that look-off what would otherwise be steals which both feeds the team's insane synergy and leads to more threes, both of which forces the defense to stay on their toes and pick their poison instead of simply collapsing every time Gobert gets the ball in the paint with success. That change on its own is de-clogging the lane for his roll-work and leading to universally better shots for the team.
True. I undersold his growth.