What's new

Where did Paul Millsap go?

Perhaps he did not notice that Aldridge is like 4 inches taller than him.

1 tall guy. 6 ft 9 is the average height for power forwards and paul is 6 ft 8 and a half so hes basically average. Big al is way mroe underssized at center than millsap is at power forward.

There's a great new invention called the Internet that allows you to support your statements with sources before you spew them from your fingers. But maybe you're playing the gadfly or troll role, so quality doesn't matter to you.

Typical NBA power forwards are 6 feet 9 inches (2.06 m) to 6 feet 11 inches (2.11 m) tall.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_position#Power_forward

Average height of a small forward: 6'8".
https://wiki.answers.com/Q/Average_height_of_a_small_forward

So the average SF height is equal to Millsap's listed height on NBA.com, which is either accurate or exaggerated but definitely not underestimated.
https://www.nba.com/playerfile/paul_millsap/

Millsap's mass (250 pounds) is fine at PF in most cases, but his height has hurt the Jazz in some games. Millsap is the second least of Utah's worries, but he has limitations, and when he's not getting it done, his minutes need to be reduced.

Aldridge hurt Utah big time last night, and Sloan did nothing (besides throwing Elson and a recovering Okur on the court for a while) to remedy that problem. Maybe Sloan yelled or threatened or grumbled at them during a time out. That doesn't really faze most NBA millionaires; holding them accountable for their minutes on the court might.

BTW, Elson had limited point and rebound production (a criticism of Fesenko and an argument against playing Fes, btw) and had three fouls in relatively short minutes (ditto). Aldridge didn't play much with Elson on the court, which doesn't makes sense, given that FE is a slow but better matchup heightwise than Aldridge. LA and MC (Camby) scored little more than a couple of points with Elson on the court. Fes got zero playing time, even though the starting lineup was sucking and the backups (Okur and Elson) were so-so.

Welcome to your new Utah Jazz: so far, with Okur's return, they've gotten worse. The game last night doesn't rest on MO's shoulders anymore than anyone else, and we can reasonably hope that Okur will continue to improve somewhat, but again, if Fes had even half of MO's TOs last night, there would be cries for him to return to the end of the bench. The inconsitent treatment continues (not just in the frontcourt, but on the wing, also). Six points and 5 rebounds (and positive +/-) from Okur are promising, but when you combine Okur's and Jefferson's TOs last night (and negative net blocks), you have a big problem from the big man spot.

ANY ONE of the backup bigs (not just Fes) should've gotten more of Jefferson's PT last night, especially when he was tentative offensively and/or passive defensively. Same goes for Millsap, despite higher effort. And Miles should've been in there in Q4 for Hayward alongside Bell; instead, Sloan took out Miles with 5 minutes left and settled for a Bell-Hayward wing lineup against a zone defense with which Hayward didn't have much experience. Just because it randomly worked in the last game, Jerry, in a different situation, doesn't mean it would work here.

Internet fail going to answers.com where 1 person with no information to base his facts just says 6 ft 8. Major facepalm. Nice try trying to sound smart but thats liek me callign miss cleos psychic readign and asking her if you base your "facts" on answers.com lol

1 tall guy. 6 ft 9 is the average height for power forwards and paul is 6 ft 8 and a half so hes basically average. Big al is way mroe underssized at center than millsap is at power forward.

I think Paul is lucky if he is 6'8". One reason MN got rid of Jefferson is because they felt it made them undersized so not saying you have a point there. I would like to see more Jefferson/Memo and Millsap/Elson or Fes combos out there. This would give us more size.

YEs i would prefer memo to start at center and al to start at power forward and have millsap come off the bench with cj to provide offense off the bench.

Ok here are the numbers.

For the the season Paul is averaging:

PTS - 17.6
REB - 7.9
BLK - 0.9
STL - 1.5
AST - 1.4

Hardly the 20 and 10 guy someone claimed.

Over the first 21 games:

PTS - 18.4
REB - 8.4
BLK - 0.9
STL - 1.2
AST - 2.6

Over the last 10 games:

PTS - 16.1
REB - 6.9
BLK - 0.9
STL - 2.2
AST - 1.8

So over the past 10 games he is down in every category except steals and even in blocks. If you think about it, this kind of follows the pattern he set when he replaced Boozer. He had a big string of great games then just faded. Luckily it is not such a drop-off, but it is a lessening of his impact. I wonder what is going on with him too.

There are a myriad of problems Millsap has had to figure out that are unique to his more prominent role and minutes on the team
-He is undersized. He's strong enough, he's long enough, but only just and he's very short for the position.
-To compensate, he has had to outwork opponents as his bread-and-butter and do it against inferior competition
-Since he now plays against starters who are much more skilled and much more physically able (taller, faster, stronger, longer). Outworking those players night in and night out is much more difficult.
-Furthermore, he is firmly in the opponents scouting report/gameplan (or he should be, I can't understand why they give him his automatic top-of-the-key jumper seemingly every time).
-Outworking opponents every night becomes unrealistic when adding in the factor that he's playing 10 more MPG, again, against much better competition.
-He's had to compensate again by pacing his game, becoming more cerebral, and adding finesse and range to his game. He's done a very, very impressive job with that.
-Lost in the shuffle of all of this has been his rebounding. 8 RPG doesn't sound bad until you factor in the minutes he's played. He's actually below-average in % of rebounds grabbed and rebound rate for a big in the NBA. When you look at the competition, the scouting, and his pacing his game, maybe it was inevitable. But that doesn't make it any less frustrating. However, if Kevin Love can look like Dennis Rodman, I see no reason Millsap can't rebound more (their measurements are eerily similar).

Millsap has come a long way. He's far better than I think anyone realistically thought he could be. But he's not a pillar. If he didn't embody the spirit of this team and it's history (or at least what it should strive to be), I'd consider trading him for a true pillar. But for me, he's close to untouchable, even if he's not that other pillar.

Internet fail going to answers.com where 1 person with no information to base his facts just says 6 ft 8. Major facepalm. Nice try trying to sound smart but thats liek me callign miss cleos psychic readign and asking her if you base your "facts" on answers.com lol
Answers.com > your nether region.

YEs i would prefer memo to start at center and al to start at power forward and have millsap come off the bench with cj to provide offense off the bench.

I agree completely with this post...Unfortunately, it makes too much god damn sense.

Ok here are the numbers.

PTS - 17.6
REB - 7.9
BLK - 0.9
STL - 1.5
AST - 1.4

Over the first 21 games:

PTS - 18.4
REB - 8.4
BLK - 0.9
STL - 1.2
AST - 2.6

Over the last 10 games:

PTS - 16.1
REB - 6.9
BLK - 0.9
STL - 2.2
AST - 1.8

So over the past 10 games he is down in every category except steals and even in blocks. If you think about it, this kind of follows the pattern he set when he replaced Boozer. He had a big string of great games then just faded. Luckily it is not such a drop-off, but it is a lessening of his impact. I wonder what is going on with him too.

In December his minutes have also declined by 10% (36.1 vs. 33.2) and his FT% has regressed to the mean (he was over 80% from the line in November). Those are probably the biggest determinants in the difference between his stats between November and December.

Ok here are the numbers.

PTS - 17.6
REB - 7.9
BLK - 0.9
STL - 1.5
AST - 1.4

Over the first 21 games:

PTS - 18.4
REB - 8.4
BLK - 0.9
STL - 1.2
AST - 2.6

Over the last 10 games:

PTS - 16.1
REB - 6.9
BLK - 0.9
STL - 2.2
AST - 1.8

I haven't looked at any numbers, but I can assure you the assist numbers are wrong.

In December his minutes have also declined by 10% (36.1 vs. 33.2) and his FT% has regressed to the mean (he was over 80% from the line in November). Those are probably the biggest determinants in the difference between his stats between November and December.

My comparison has been the last 10 games vs the rest of the season, since it seems to me that he has slipped some over the past 10 games or so. In that time, his minutes are down 6% from the rest of the season, but rebounds are down 18%, his FG% is down, though not by much, and as you noted his FG% is abysmal, and assists are down 30%. On the plus side his steals have nearly doubled. The minor difference in minutes and the FT% might explain some of the points differential but why has he slipped in other areas, especially rebounds?

My other question is why have his minutes slipped? Has he been injured. Granted the slip isn't very much at all, but his impact has been less over the past 10 games or so than it was in the first of the season. With all this being pretty minor, I am not at all in the "sky-is-falling" camp, just wonder if there is some underlying issue. Sure hope not and hope he rebounds to his earlier form soon.

I haven't looked at any numbers, but I can assure you the assist numbers are wrong.

You are right. I went back to basketball-reference.com, copied the numbers into a spreadsheet (again) and ran the averages (again). Over the past 10 games he has average 1.8 assists, over the rest of the season he average 2.57 (actually 2.57142857), not 2.2. Drop-off appears to be worse than originally stated. The rest are correct.

It might be better to break Millsap's stats down to his first 12 games versus his last 19 games:
Games 1-12: 21.5 ppg, 9.5 reb, 58% FG, 76% FT, 14.8 FG att/game, 5.3 FT att/game
Games 13-31: 15.2 ppg, 6.9 reb, 53% FG, 69% FT, 11.7 FG att/game, 3.9 FT att/game

Not only are his numbers down across the board, but most noteworthy his FG attempts per game and FG% have decreased. In my opinion, this is because he's now a primary focus on opponents' scouting reports and teams have now adjusted to Millsap's game to limit the number of easy baskets and looks he was getting.

I agree completely with this post...Unfortunately, it makes too much god damn sense.

Exactly. Sloan isn't known for making sense. For some reason sloan thinks hayward is a good game closer?lol. I think i would rather have anyone else to play the 4th on our team instead of rookie hayward to try and lead us back.