Which point guard should we DRAFT?

• Black with #9 pick

• Cason with #9 pick

• Keynote with #16 pick

• Bufkin with #16 pick

• Hood-shchifino with #16 pick

• No point guard, draft wings with #9 and #16

Results are only viewable after voting.
Gonna try to watch one full half of basketball for each of these PGs. I always find it interesting to see if you can learn anything by watching them every play they are in frame.

First off, Anthony Black versus San Diego State (Half 1):

Summary:
- Really strong defender. Active hands + high engagement level. Could struggle against quick NBA guards. Getting around screens is a concern some have but he was good in this half
- Attacks the basket in a way that gets him FT's. Does not have wiggle to get there without a screen though
- Good passing moments, puts the ball in the right place. Comfortable in pressure situations
- Many NBA players look like they skip leg day, he only does leg day
- ARK's offense does indeed SUCK. Instead of screen and pass away it's screen and get in the way.

- Right of the tip gets fouled on a cut to the basket
- knocks down corner 3 next possession
- Gets around screen well on defense, but bites on a pump fake
- The Arkansas spacing is truly awful, it's like they have a rule that whenever a player tries to drive his teammate has to run directly into the path to the basket
- Very attentive/engaged on weakside defense
- Terrible, lazy turnover but makes up for it with a great transition contest
- He has no wiggle as a ball handler, not comfortable when he needs to make something happen off the bounce
- Good defensive hands creates deflections
- Stands up a little too straight on closeout
- One of the worst airballs I've seen on a wide open pullup 3 in transition.
- Beat in around the corner in PnR defense, gives up an and1
- Really nice drive against a switching PnR coverage to find the big. Showed some burst their too, great play.
- More active hands = defelections. Stays with his man this time and it leads to a block by his teammate
- He kinda keeps getting beat around the corner by the small, quick SDSU guards...but he's still in position because of his size
- SDSU presses, Arkansas easily breaks it and it's a nice highlight dunk for Black.
- Turnover in Spain PnR, bad spacing but still a mistake on Black's part
- Good job to navigate to the PnR against decent defensive coverage. Not super fast but his size really stood out here. He doesn't look fast, but he has long strides. Gets 2 FT's.
- Always has his head up looking to pass in semi-transition. Finds an open man for a bricked three
- Weird play where he cuts directly down the center of the court, gets the ball and earns 2 more free throws. You can just tell he has a knack for getting to line against contests.
- Outstanding entry pass into the pick who had a small switched onto him. That was a QB throw to where only his WR could touch it.
- Gets over screen well which causes turnover
- Turns the corner against switching PnR defense. Gets to the basket and nice finish through contact. He 100% carried which faked out the defense, but that's just an NBA play.
- Strong boxout for a rebound, he has tree trunk legs.
- Nice pocket pass into the middle of the defense, unfortunately leads to bad airball
- ARK loves running Spain PnR but it is HORRID
- Gets beat again off the dribble, can't decide if it's because he overplays too much or he's just not quick enough.
- Comfortable passer against double teams, easy to trust him to get out of it
- Really nice pass to a cutter in pressure situation

Next up: Cason Wallace vs LSU

It's not about size, it's about skill. Guys that can pass, dribble, shoot, and make quick decisions at an elite level will always be the most valuable players in the NBA.

Again, we had like 5 dudes do that for us last year

Gonna try to watch one full half of basketball for each of these PGs. I always find it interesting to see if you can learn anything by watching them every play they are in frame.

First off, Anthony Black versus San Diego State (Half 1):

Summary:
- Really strong defender. Active hands + high engagement level. Could struggle against quick NBA guards. Getting around screens is a concern some have but he was good in this half
- Attacks the basket in a way that gets him FT's. Does not have wiggle to get there without a screen though
- Good passing moments, puts the ball in the right place. Comfortable in pressure situations
- Many NBA players look like they skip leg day, he only does leg day
- ARK's offense does indeed SUCK. Instead of screen and pass away it's screen and get in the way.

- Right of the tip gets fouled on a cut to the basket
- knocks down corner 3 next possession
- Gets around screen well on defense, but bites on a pump fake
- The Arkansas spacing is truly awful, it's like they have a rule that whenever a player tries to drive his teammate has to run directly into the path to the basket
- Very attentive/engaged on weakside defense
- Terrible, lazy turnover but makes up for it with a great transition contest
- He has no wiggle as a ball handler, not comfortable when he needs to make something happen off the bounce
- Good defensive hands creates deflections
- Stands up a little too straight on closeout
- One of the worst airballs I've seen on a wide open pullup 3 in transition.
- Beat in around the corner in PnR defense, gives up an and1
- Really nice drive against a switching PnR coverage to find the big. Showed some burst their too, great play.
- More active hands = defelections. Stays with his man this time and it leads to a block by his teammate
- He kinda keeps getting beat around the corner by the small, quick SDSU guards...but he's still in position because of his size
- SDSU presses, Arkansas easily breaks it and it's a nice highlight dunk for Black.
- Turnover in Spain PnR, bad spacing but still a mistake on Black's part
- Good job to navigate to the PnR against decent defensive coverage. Not super fast but his size really stood out here. He doesn't look fast, but he has long strides. Gets 2 FT's.
- Always has his head up looking to pass in semi-transition. Finds an open man for a bricked three
- Weird play where he cuts directly down the center of the court, gets the ball and earns 2 more free throws. You can just tell he has a knack for getting to line against contests.
- Outstanding entry pass into the pick who had a small switched onto him. That was a QB throw to where only his WR could touch it.
- Gets over screen well which causes turnover
- Turns the corner against switching PnR defense. Gets to the basket and nice finish through contact. He 100% carried which faked out the defense, but that's just an NBA play.
- Strong boxout for a rebound, he has tree trunk legs.
- Nice pocket pass into the middle of the defense, unfortunately leads to bad airball
- ARK loves running Spain PnR but it is HORRID
- Gets beat again off the dribble, can't decide if it's because he overplays too much or he's just not quick enough.
- Comfortable passer against double teams, easy to trust him to get out of it
- Really nice pass to a cutter in pressure situation

Next up: Cason Wallace vs LSU

Cason Wallace vs LSU (1H)

Summary:
- Great defensive player. Navigates screens extremely well and keeps everything in front of him. Likes to put his body into ball handlers
- Quick release shot, looks really good in catch and shoot and off the dribble
- Some decent passes, but nothing eye popping. Makes simple plays. Ball placement could be better
- No aggression towards the basket in this half
- College Basketball is ****ing horrible

- He's playing off the ball to start. Beats close with quick first step, starts a nice blender possession
- Quick release 3 versus zone defense, miss
- Runs the wing in transition, gets a dunk jumping off his right foot, athletic play.
- Navigating some screens well, but no action on defense so far as an off ball defender.
- First PnR action, there's zero spacing and 4 defenders in the way.
- Tiny LSU guard tests Wallace in semi transition, good defense as Wallace stays in front.
- It's a NCAA PnR action unless there are 6+ people in the paint.
- Beats man off the dribble, a millions guys in the paint and not great passing options. Man this basketball sucks.
- Defending point of attack now. Makes a few screen attempts useless and stuffs a drive
- Another PnR, nice pull up jumper from mid range goes in.
- Great closeout, stays grounded on PG and stuffs the drive with his body. Then makes another screen attempt useless
- LSU playing zone, Wallace hesitant to shoot decent looks
- LSU should not run any offensive action that includes Wallace. He just eliminates it.
- PnR offense possession against switchign defense, beats the big man but Tshebwe goes into the driving lane and posts up. Pass attempt is kicked.
- Rotates down on defensive PnR coverage, blows up the lob by putting his body on the big
- LSU guard drives on Wallace, Wallace stays in front but he gets bowling balled by the LSU guy. Nice play #0.
- Semi transition spots up from the corner, could have taken it but pump fake + drive leads to a nice dumpoff and assist.
- Good defense in PnR defense, maybe overplaying but switched off ball handler with teammate well. Hustle for the rebound, good pass, bad pass that should have been an assist in transition but wasn't.
- Bad, lazy turnover leads to a pick 6
- Good entry pass this time into the post
- Gets the rebound off a missed FT and tips it in. Ref calls a foul on him but that was BS. Great hustle play. I cannot even imagine what the refs were thinking.
- Deep catch and shoot against zone defense, drains it
- Gives up open three because he dove for a loose ball, unfortunate
- Good push in semi transition, finds the open man
- Gets to his mid range pullup again, misses
- Navigates a million defenders inside the paint in late shot clock scramble. Calm floater finish. Nice fake pass to the corner, but maybe he should have just passed it to the corner?

Next up, Kobe Bufkin???

Cason Wallace vs LSU (1H)

Summary:
- Great defensive player. Navigates screens extremely well and keeps everything in front of him. Likes to put his body into ball handlers
- Quick release shot, looks really good in catch and shoot and off the dribble
- Some decent passes, but nothing eye popping. Makes simple plays. Ball placement could be better
- No aggression towards the basket in this half
- College Basketball is ****ing horrible

- He's playing off the ball to start. Beats close with quick first step, starts a nice blender possession
- Quick release 3 versus zone defense, miss
- Runs the wing in transition, gets a dunk jumping off his right foot, athletic play.
- Navigating some screens well, but no action on defense so far as an off ball defender.
- First PnR action, there's zero spacing and 4 defenders in the way.
- Tiny LSU guard tests Wallace in semi transition, good defense as Wallace stays in front.
- It's a NCAA PnR action unless there are 6+ people in the paint.
- Beats man off the dribble, a millions guys in the paint and not great passing options. Man this basketball sucks.
- Defending point of attack now. Makes a few screen attempts useless and stuffs a drive
- Another PnR, nice pull up jumper from mid range goes in.
- Great closeout, stays grounded on PG and stuffs the drive with his body. Then makes another screen attempt useless
- LSU playing zone, Wallace hesitant to shoot decent looks
- LSU should not run any offensive action that includes Wallace. He just eliminates it.
- PnR offense possession against switchign defense, beats the big man but Tshebwe goes into the driving lane and posts up. Pass attempt is kicked.
- Rotates down on defensive PnR coverage, blows up the lob by putting his body on the big
- LSU guard drives on Wallace, Wallace stays in front but he gets bowling balled by the LSU guy. Nice play #0.
- Semi transition spots up from the corner, could have taken it but pump fake + drive leads to a nice dumpoff and assist.
- Good defense in PnR defense, maybe overplaying but switched off ball handler with teammate well. Hustle for the rebound, good pass, bad pass that should have been an assist in transition but wasn't.
- Bad, lazy turnover leads to a pick 6
- Good entry pass this time into the post
- Gets the rebound off a missed FT and tips it in. Ref calls a foul on him but that was BS. Great hustle play. I cannot even imagine what the refs were thinking.
- Deep catch and shoot against zone defense, drains it
- Gives up open three because he dove for a loose ball, unfortunate
- Good push in semi transition, finds the open man
- Gets to his mid range pullup again, misses
- Navigates a million defenders inside the paint in late shot clock scramble. Calm floater finish. Nice fake pass to the corner, but maybe he should have just passed it to the corner?

Next up, Kobe Bufkin???

Kobe Bufkin vs Ohio State (1H)

- Active defender, does a good job around screens and has really good hustle. Very impressed with him on this end.
- Doesn't play a lot of PG tbh. Spent way more time off the ball
- Great first step
- Doesn't favor one hand while dribbling, but when around the basket favors his left
- He's a tough player, but very skinny
- I wish Cason and Black played at Michigan

- Two possessions in and you can tell Michigan actually plays offense from this century
- Deep straight away three goes in. Shot looks great.
- Snatches an athletic rebound outside of his zone
- Gets lost in defensive coverage navigating screens
- Gets beat off the dribble as the opposing guard rejects the screen, much better on the next defensive possession
- What are they feeding guys at Ohio State? Everyone seems like they could lose 10 lbs lol.
- Attacks closeout and gets two FT's
- Good defense and screen navigation against the chunky OSU guard. Does it again next possession
- Shows nice burst getting to the basket in semi transition. Finishes through contact. Could have been an an1
- Super quick drive leads to floater, misses but gets it back and finishes
- Good hustle guy chases rebounds on both ends
- Good heads up interior pass cuts the defense
- Easy basket on set play cut
- Gets every loose ball, Grayson Allen Esque!!!!
- Digs down on post and creates turnover
- Spot up 3 off of pindown misses
- Good defense against screens on last possession. We gotta talk about this guy's defense more

Just give me a wing in the top 10 even if they need to spend a pick to move up a slot or two.
Look at how Ainge built the Celtics with Brown and Tatum. You typically are not going to get a wing with tantalizing Thompson Twin athleticism, size, and potential later in the draft.
Guards are alot easier to plug in later just like Boston added both White and Brogdon in the past year.

There are also a bunch of guards who could either be available via trade or thru FA including Simons, Poole, Rozier, Reaves, DLo, LeVert, etc. I personally prefer not to spend a top 10 pick on a guard when there are so many other avenues to fill that void. Meanwhile, very good non all-star wings such as Mikal Bridges are impossible to get in trade unless you are sending out Durant. Even Royce was worth a FRP. Wings have value in this league. Elite wings are the king of the chessboard. I prefer they take a stab at drafting one in the top 10 if at all possible.

Just give me a wing in the top 10 even if they need to spend a pick to move up a slot or two.
Look at how Ainge built the Celtics with Brown and Tatum. You typically are not going to get a wing with tantalizing Thompson Twin athleticism, size, and potential later in the draft.
Guards are alot easier to plug in later just like Boston added both White and Brogdon in the past year.

There are also a bunch of guards who could either be available via trade or thru FA including Simons, Poole, Rozier, Reaves, DLo, LeVert, etc. I personally prefer not to spend a top 10 pick on a guard when there are so many other avenues to fill that void. Meanwhile, very good non all-star wings such as Mikal Bridges are impossible to get in trade unless you are sending out Durant. Even Royce was worth a FRP. Wings have value in this league. Elite wings are the king of the chessboard. I prefer they take a stab at drafting one in the top 10 if at all possible.

This.
Cam, Tay Henny, and GG are my favs for this reason. Go after a big wing.
I would be cool with Jarace Walker as well.

Dont worry about point guards. The ones we currently have on the roster already are young, cheap, and good. We are fine there.

This.

Dont worry about point guards. The ones we currently have on the roster already are young, cheap, and good. We are fine there.

I think Kobe Bufkin is worth drafting. He's 6'5" with a nice, well-rounded offensive game. Jazz won't get Cam or Jarace without moving up.

Go watch Bilal Coulibaly, who might be attainable at #16: 6'7", 7'2" wingspan, handles, shoots a bit, dunks like he's David Thompson. If he can tighten his handle and improve his shooting, he has star potential.

This.

Hendricks and Walker are more forward vs wings. Cam could be gone well before our range and also never passes. GG at 9 is a huge reach, with a high probability of not working out.

Just draft the best player available when we pick, regardless of position.

I don't disagree with your point, but the Brown/Tatum example is perhaps not the best at the moment with them about to get swept after 6'3 guard Gabe Vincent outscored the pair of them combined in game 3...

I don't disagree with your point, but the Brown/Tatum example is perhaps not the best at the moment with them about to get swept after 6'3 guard Gabe Vincent outscored the pair of them combined in game 3...

On the other hand, who is the best player on miami that is leading this sweep of brown and tatum? Thats right, another big wing (jimmy butler)

On the other hand, who is the best player on miami that is leading this sweep of brown and tatum? Thats right, another big wing (jimmy butler)
Of course. And I agree with you both. I just thought it was a little unfortunate and amusing to use Boston as an example given their current state.

This poll makes me think about the impact PG's play on championship teams. It's typically stellar point of attack defense and the ability to knock down the open shot. Cason Wallace fits that mold. Historically speaking championship teams aren't lead by a traditional PG.

This poll makes me think about the impact PG's play on championship teams. It's typically stellar point of attack defense and the ability to knock down the open shot. Cason Wallace fits that mold. Historically speaking championship teams aren't lead by a traditional PG.

It's still worth having a PG who can push the ball and organize the offense. Whether that person needs to be a high draft pick and a star is debatable, but if you look at Boston, their offense is suffering from a lack of organization and efficient ball movement right now.

That said, modern teams are starting to do more of their play initiation from the wing or even through one of their bigs. That makes wing-sized players who can initiate all the more valuable....like the guy in your avatar.