What's new

Whiteside is as dumb as a rock

Kinda off topic, but I'm a little curious. Is it racists, or non-racists, who always think that "chimps," is synonymous with black people, I forget?

The reason I ax is because I got another rep hit (for which I am extremely grateful, of course) in this thread. The accompanying comment was:

"Chimps? You're a racist tool."

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJa8rYiTHjQ

This guy is as dumb as a rock. Dumb interview. What the hell is that on his head? What an idiot. Who would ever want to draft this crappy player?

Good grief. What are you all expecting? Will Rogers?

He's a shy 20 year old that is obviously very uncomfortable speaking in front of people. He's soft spoken. He's not arrogant or cocky. He doesn't sound stupid. He sounds like he wants to get the hell out of there. Watch his body language. I would not for a second take what I see in this interview and hold it against his ability to play basketball. Beyond that he seems like a decent kid that is willing to work hard and just wants a shot to show what he can do.

I see a lot of people predicting that he's going to be a bust. I'm going go the opposite direction. I don't think he'll be an instant sensation but I suspect that he'll end up a better than average player. Think Jermaine O'Neal. He was considered a huge bust while in Portland. Once he got out from underneath his rookie contract and matured a bit he turned into a better than average player. Whiteside will do the same.

In 5 years when the Jazz still have not sniffed a decent center, people will be talking about Whiteside as the one that got away and bashing KOC for not drafting him when we had the chance.

Whiteside might have been flabbergasted by his crappy workout in Utah, but maybe didn't take into account how the elevation might affect him. I mean he seems so green and immature. By "immature" I mean he just look naive and as was said, like a "deer in headlights." But the talent it there. He seems pretty frustrated out how difficult the road is, but he seems pretty determined. -- I mean, he's not immature in the sense that he doesn't take that seriously ala Fes. Whiteside seems to be taking his career very seriously. The risk is in the possibility of his breaking under the pressure, crying, and opting for a less stressful job like McDonald's. I think he'd prefer that kind of low pressure, but I think he knows what's at stake and really wants the NBA career. And that shows some maturity.

I don't know if Sloan will be the best mentor for Whiteside. But I think he'd gel with Sloan better than Fes has.

And don't get me wrong - I still like Fes.

I think Fess could probably teach this young kid a few things. Like how to smoke cigarettes, for example. The kid probably doesn't even know how.

So Whiteside's primary skills are being big and taking up space. Sounds like Fesenko to me. Without the goofy lovability.

His primary skills are running the floor, blocking shots, hitting mid-range jumpers and scoring from the post, while guarding players that are too long for Millsap and too quick for Fess. He's not just a space eater. You can draft Monroe or Aldrich for that.

His primary skills are running the floor, blocking shots, hitting mid-range jumpers and scoring from the post, while guarding players that are too long for Millsap and too quick for Fess. He's not just a space eater. You can draft Monroe or Aldrich for that.

Please tell me you're his agent.

https://www.nba.com/video/teams/kings/2010/06/08/DWO10HassanWhitesidemov-1341838/index.html

This is a much better interview he did. I wonder if he was just a little overwhelmed by doing so poorly in Utah.

Wants to be like Garnett offense. Wants to be Hakeem on D. Works with Hakeem.

https://www.nba.com/video/teams/clippers/2010/06/08/whiteside100607MP4-1341758/index.html

https://www.nba.com/video/teams/warriors/2010/06/08/060510HassanWhitesidemov-1341818/index.html

This interview was much better too. Seems to a reasonable view of what is role on an NBA team would be.

https://www.nba.com/video/teams/pacers/2010/06/01/hassanwhiteside2010avi-1334853/index.html

Says he was 205 when he got to Marshall. He likes to lift weights and now he is about 235. Wants to get stronger and to weigh about 250.

If you watch all these interviews you will get a much better rounded view of Whiteside. He is still tenative with the media but he sounded a lot better.

Last edited:
Thanks, Qman. I'm down with any JazzFan who puts forth the effort to do some research and/or provide sources.

I prefer Whiteside over Aldrich for the long run (and Udoh over Aldrich in the short run and the long run), but I think the Jazz want someone who has the potential to contribute sooner, especially because they think that Deron wants to have a contributor before he leaves (or thinks about re-opting). It'll be 1 to 4 years before Whiteside is legit. By comparison, Bynum started putting up good numbers in his second year an averaged a double-double in his third season but still isn't the dominating center that the Lakers would probably like, so it's possible that Whiteside--in all his rawness--could be Utah's best center soon. If really he was able to gain 30 pounds in one year at Marshall, it suggests that he can put on another 20 or 30 in short order in the NBA.

Unfortunately, if Sloan does the same old counterproductive thing as before, he'll play too much of Okur when MO comes back. And if Boozer re-signs, then the player will have to be especially good (and a good brown-noser) to get legit minutes because he'll have to battle the subpar temptation of Sloan playing Millsap and Boozer together (even though that combination was a negative more than a positive in the playoffs vs. the Lakers).

Aldrich could be that type of guy because he talks a bit like Sloan (midwestern drawl) and will enter the NBA with three years of school, so he'll sound like at least an educated hick ;). If he were drafted by Utah (which looks more and more likely unless they fell in love with a wing), hopefully he has an opportunity to distinguish himself early. It goes without saying that Sloan could give Aldrich increased minutes over Fes and Kouf if Aldrich "plays hard" and doesn't do anything stupid on or off the court. I hope that CA gets a slogan quickly (maybe "Jump Jayhawks" instead of "Boom Bitches"?).

Last edited:
The dumbest player ever to play for the Jazz had to be Robert Whaley.
Worst interview I've ever seen in Utah, maybe anywhere.