What's new

Whiteside is as dumb as a rock

Whiteside might have been flabbergasted by his crappy workout in Utah, but maybe didn't take into account how the elevation might affect him. I mean he seems so green and immature. By "immature" I mean he just look naive and as was said, like a "deer in headlights." But the talent it there. He seems pretty frustrated out how difficult the road is, but he seems pretty determined. -- I mean, he's not immature in the sense that he doesn't take that seriously ala Fes. Whiteside seems to be taking his career very seriously. The risk is in the possibility of his breaking under the pressure, crying, and opting for a less stressful job like McDonald's. I think he'd prefer that kind of low pressure, but I think he knows what's at stake and really wants the NBA career. And that shows some maturity.

I don't know if Sloan will be the best mentor for Whiteside. But I think he'd gel with Sloan better than Fes has.

And don't get me wrong - I still like Fes.

I'm one of those guys that thinks Whiteside has a high bust potential but I like your points. One of the things that keeps me from totally writing him off is the fact that he can shoot- he has nice form and good range. How many guys are there that make their living off of good D and an outside shot? There's a place for that in the league. Of course I'm looking at the low end of the possibility spectrum here, the other end being the next KG I guess.

In order for him to stick though he's going to have to learn a lot- how to play team D, the offensive and defensive schemes of whatever team he lands at, etc. These are things some guys never get. He's a great shotblocker too but it looks sometimes like that's his only method of defense. He's going to have to learnt to stay between his man and the basket because in the NBA he won't be able to get away with what he's done so far.

I've watched Whiteside play. His basketball moves appear fluid and quick. He makes quick decisions with the ball and doesn't hesitate. Throughout history, a good warrior didn't need a high mental intelligence (measurable anyway), to be effective. Some people have learning disabilities and just never got the right specialized training in school to be good communicators and/or students. Whiteside, from what I've seen, appears to be the visual type. He seems to be able to recognize patterns quickly and then act based on what the pattern dictates he do.

Basketball really isn't that complicated when you simplify it to recognizing patterns. Isn't that what the Jazz offense is? Isn't that what the Triangle Offense is? I'm sure once Whiteside memorizes the patterns that the offense creates, he'll have no trouble running it.

Also, I'm sure by now he knows how to effectively communicate with his teammates and coaching staff. Isn't that all that matters? Yes, he'll have to give interviews with the media but he'll improve with time. Every player eventually learns all the cliches and quick answers to use, to end an interview quickly, if need be.

I've watched Whiteside play. His basketball moves appear fluid and quick. He makes quick decisions with the ball and doesn't hesitate. Throughout history, a good warrior didn't need a high mental intelligence (measurable anyway), to be effective. Some people have learning disabilities and just never got the right specialized training in school to be good communicators and/or students. Whiteside, from what I've seen, appears to be the visual type. He seems to be able to recognize patterns quickly and then act based on what the pattern dictates he do.

Basketball really isn't that complicated when you simplify it to recognizing patterns. Isn't that what the Jazz offense is? Isn't that what the Triangle Offense is? I'm sure once Whiteside memorizes the patterns that the offense creates, he'll have no trouble running it.

Also, I'm sure by now he knows how to effectively communicate with his teammates and coaching staff. Isn't that all that matters? Yes, he'll have to give interviews with the media but he'll improve with time. Every player eventually learns all the cliches and quick answers to use, to end an interview quickly, if need be.

You sound like a Democrat.

I really think the Jazz are targeting Whiteside right now if we stay at 9... then can we trade Boom Bitches for a future first rounder and resign Fez?