What's new

Who are the 10 greatest NBA Players of all Time?

The East was absolute garbage back then. And his MVP is the biggest joke in league history. I don't think he even shot 40% that season.

I'd say Rose and Nash were close, but it's certainly one of the worst I've seen in my lifetime, should have went to Shaq easily.

For what it's worth the top 30 from the last time RealGM did their top 100 countdown at the end of the 2014 season(fans from most teams instead of just Jazz fans - based off their rankings from then it's likely Chris Paul(#31) would have moved in since then). I believe they try to do it mostly on a career value type scale, as they have a separate list for peaks.

30. John Havlicek
29. Rick Barry
28. Walt Frazier
27. Scottie Pippen
26. John Stockton
25. Steve Nash
24. George Mikan - Impossible to rank well, I leave him out whenever I bother ranking guys.
23. Dwyane Wade - Maybe a bit high, his longevity is really lacking.
22. Patrick Ewing
21. Bob Pettit - Another old-timer, feel he got pretty heavily over-ranked, has no business being over Mikan.
20. Charles Barkley
19. Moses Malone
18. David Robinson
17. Karl Malone
16. Dirk Nowitzki
15. Jerry West
14. Julius Erving
13. Kobe Bryant
12. Oscar Robertson
11. Kevin Garnett - A bit high for my taste based on career value, I'd put him in the Robinson/Malone range.
10. Larry Bird
9. Hakeem Olajuwon
8. Magic Johnson
7. Lebron James
6. Shaquille O'Neal
5. Tim Duncan
4. Wilt Chamberlain
3. Bill Russell
2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
1. Michael Jordan

I think Bill Simmons book of basketball where he ranks the top 100 players of all time in a pyramid type format is probably the best list/ranking with supporting evidence that is out there.

He only shot over 40% in 18 of his seasons he played in so maybe you are right about that.

He averaged over 5 assists per game in 13 of his seasons (8 seasons he was over 7 assists per game)

11 years he averaged over 25 points per game (5 years over 30 points per game)

Not a bad rebounder either. Most years he averaged around 4 per game.

Had 11 years where he averaged over 2 steals per game.

He got to the line over 9 times per game in 12 of his seasons

About his only real weakness was turnovers. He was usually around 4 per game
he shot 42% his MVP season. His highest FG% in his career was 43.7%. Just for reference Stockton never shot close to that bad in his career, Reggie Miller never shot worse than Iverson's best year, Neither did Magic Johnson. 2 PG's and a shooter, none of them ever shot as bad as Iverson did in his best year. He had the ball for 90% of the time his team did and to only average less than 5 Assists in an MVP season when you don't shoot well is a joke.
I'm having a hard time finding a good player that shot worse than Iverson. None of Bird, Kobe, Hornacek, or Isiah Thomas. Steve Nash and Billups were worse in a few season's but better than Iverson's best in most of their years. Nash had 2 season worse than Iverson's best one being his last season.
There are a lot of excuses for his poor shooting but in the end he was an inefficient player who is the most over rated in NBA history. He had a decent average of assists but not when you consider he dominated the ball, in that context his assist average is pathetically low. Even Kobe Bryant another guy I consider to be a ball hog who also dominated the ball averaged more APG than Iverson most of his career.

Last edited:
He did take a team full of garbage to the finals though and I think (not positive) he even won a season mvp award.
Both of those things are impressive not matter how over-rated you think he is.

Marbury could never come close to either of those accomplishments
Winning an mvp award would be the very definition of overrated if you aren't very good. It is, after all, nothing but a rating. Kind of crazy to hold his highest rating up as evidence that he wasn't overrated.

That's a stupid assessment and u know it. Don't be a damned idiot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The guys in my post above that were all also the best players on their teams with the exception of Stockton. None of them shot as bad as Iverson. BTW I always considered him a ball hog and a chucker, and fully believe that if he had been smart enough to play with his teammates he would have been a better player.
So it may have been blunt and it may be a little bit of hyperbole, but it is far from stupid. The excuse that he was the center of attention does not hold water when comparing him to other players in the same situation who did actually play as part of a team instead of a one man show.

He did take a team full of garbage to the finals though and I think (not positive) he even won a season mvp award.
Both of those things are impressive not matter how over-rated you think he is.

Marbury could never come close to either of those accomplishments
Stats wise Iverson was far closer to Marbury than any other player on my list, however Marbury also had multiple season's where he shot better than Iverson ever did. And he also averaged 2-3 more assists per game than Iverson ever did in most seasons.

Last edited:
I tend to agree, but with how good at shooting everyone in the league is becoming, it is plausible if the right player lands in the right situation.

Where as in baseball, the trend is becoming less power hitters because of the stricter doping rules.

Also Lance Armstrong's records.

But as far as non-drug induced records, Stockton takes the cake. Jack Nicklaus is pretty close though. Tiger got close, but he fell off hard. It's hard to see anyone coming close again soon.
Lance Armstrong beat the previous total for TdF victories by one. He didn't obliterate anything. By any other cycling measure, even if you don't consider the fact that he was stripped of all of his TdF victories, he is nowhere close to the best cyclist of all time. Eddy Merckx is the greatest cyclist of all time in a landslide.

he shot 42% his MVP season. His highest FG% in his career was 43.7%. Just for reference Stockton never shot close to that bad in his career, Reggie Miller never shot worse than Iverson's best year, Neither did Magic Johnson. 2 PG's and a shooter, none of them ever shot as bad as Iverson did in his best year. He had the ball for 90% of the time his team did and to only average less than 5 Assists in an MVP season when you don't shoot well is a joke.
I'm having a hard time finding a good player that shot worse than Iverson. None of Bird, Kobe, Hornacek, or Isiah Thomas. Steve Nash and Billups were worse in a few season's but better than Iverson's best in most of their years. Nash had 2 season worse than Iverson's best one being his last season.
There are a lot of excuses for his poor shooting but in the end he was an inefficient player who is the most over rated in NBA history. He had a decent average of assists but not when you consider he dominated the ball, in that context his assist average is pathetically low. Even Kobe Bryant another guy I consider to be a ball hog who also dominated the ball averaged more APG than Iverson most of his career.

Iverson got to the line a ton though, so that low shooting percentage is skewed.

And stock should have scored more. It would have been better for the team. Not saying he was padding hus assists, but I'm not saying he wasn't padding his assists either. He could've been steph curry before steph curry. His shot was pretty damn good.

Iverson got to the line a ton though, so that low shooting percentage is skewed.

And stock should have scored more. It would have been better for the team. Not saying he was padding hus assists, but I'm not saying he wasn't padding his assists either. He could've been steph curry before steph curry. His shot was pretty damn good.
When you are fouled the shot doesn't count. Not sure how going to the line skews your shooting %. Also a lot of other guys I looked up go to the line a lot and none of them had that low of %.

Winning an mvp award would be the very definition of overrated if you aren't very good. It is, after all, nothing but a rating. Kind of crazy to hold his highest rating up as evidence that he wasn't overrated.
Give me a list of all the mvp winners who were not very good

The guys in my post above that were all also the best players on their teams with the exception of Stockton. None of them shot as bad as Iverson. BTW I always considered him a ball hog and a chucker, and fully believe that if he had been smart enough to play with his teammates he would have been a better player.
So it may have been blunt and it may be a little bit of hyperbole, but it is far from stupid. The excuse that he was the center of attention does not hold water when comparing him to other players in the same situation who did actually play as part of a team instead of a one man show.

The next best player on that 76ers team was Booker skilled. In fact u might say that was a team full of Booker's with Iverson. I'm pretty sure the coach wasn't in Iverson's ear telling him to shoot less.

The fact that that team made the finals is a credit to how great Iverson was. Dude never took a night off and pound for pound, maybe the toughest player ever to put on an nba uniform. Iverson was physically beat up like no other player ever was night in night out and he just kept bringing it every night as hard as the last. He was there entire inside and outside offense.

He may have had his issues, but not during game time.

The next best player on that 76ers team was Booker skilled. In fact u might say that was a team full of Booker's with Iverson. I'm pretty sure the coach wasn't in Iverson's ear telling him to shoot less.

The fact that that team made the finals is a credit to how great Iverson was. Dude never took a night off and pound for pound, maybe the toughest player ever to put on an nba uniform. Iverson was physically beat up like no other player ever was night in night out and he just kept bringing it every night as hard as the last. He was there entire inside and outside offense.

Hornacek played with Iverson, nobody knew how good Hornacek was till he got off of his team. Other good players played with him as well. Nobody wanted to play on his team because he controlled the ball and was selfish with it. That team made the finals and lost because the rest of the East was trash at that time. He was good not great, he was tough I'll never say he wasn't, He was their entire offense because he chose to be there entire offense and nobody wanted to be on his team because of it. His %'s don't lie about his efficiency, he was bad.
My general point is that no way in hell Allen Iverson is a top 10 NBA player, not even close to it. Hell I'd take 10-15 guys currently playing in the NBA before Iverson when starting a team.

I'm convinced. Iverson is not as good as the other guys.

One thing that I will about Iverson though, is that he changed a lot about the culture in the league, and probably for worse.

Hornacek played with Iverson, nobody knew how good Hornacek was till he got off of his team. Other good players played with him as well. Nobody wanted to play on his team because he controlled the ball and was selfish with it. That team made the finals and lost because the rest of the East was trash at that time. He was good not great, he was tough I'll never say he wasn't, He was their entire offense because he chose to be there entire offense and nobody wanted to be on his team because of it. His %'s don't lie about his efficiency, he was bad.
My general point is that no way in hell Allen Iverson is a top 10 NBA player, not even close to it. Hell I'd take 10-15 guys currently playing in the NBA before Iverson when starting a team.

Take Iverson off that 6ers team and they lose to this 6ers team. Your spinning so much garbage right now. I used to like your posts. May have to rethink. Iverson is a great player. Sorry u can't recognize that.

Stop it with the crapping on his teammates line man. Mutombo was great (DPOY), and they won off their defense (#5 in the NBA), which Iverson was not a factor in. Throw in a great coach in Larry Brown, and that team had plenty of tools. Any halfway decent perimeter scoring star could have taken that team to the finals.

Stop it with the crapping on his teammates line man. Mutombo was great (DPOY), and they won off their defense (#5 in the NBA), which Iverson was not a factor in. Throw in a great coach in Larry Brown, and that team had plenty of tools. Any halfway decent perimeter scoring star could have taken that team to the finals.

Doesn't change the fact that if u take Iverson off that team. They win 20 games at best. Lol. Stop with the crapping on Iverson. Larry Brown is good but way overrated if he's so good how come he can't stick with a team.

Doesn't change the fact that if u take Iverson off that team. They win 20 games at best. Lol. Stop with the crapping on Iverson. Larry Brown is good but way overrated if he's so good how come he can't stick with a team.

You take one of the best players off a team and that team isn't as good? Woah, no way. This is a top 10 of all-time discussion and Allen Iverson doesn't belong anywhere near it. You could replace him with so many other players from throughout history and have equal or greater success it's not even funny (just from 2001 you could stick in Kobe, Vince, or Ray).