What's new

Who is Ettore Messina?

I think the biggest concern the NBA community had with Messina when he was brought up a few years ago was whether he could relate to NBA players who grew up in inner city neighborhoods. The "culture" of the NBA and how Messina could deal with that and getting the most out of his players while avoiding confrontations based on misunderstandings.

I would think one team where those concerns would be mitigated would be the Jazz.

I think the biggest concern the NBA community had with Messina when he was brought up a few years ago was whether he could relate to NBA players who grew up in inner city neighborhoods. The "culture" of the NBA and how Messina could deal with that and getting the most out of his players while avoiding confrontations based on misunderstandings.

I would think one team where those concerns would be mitigated would be the Jazz.

Idk, all the interviews I've read make it seem like he'd be great for team and player psychology.

Idk, all the interviews I've read make it seem like he'd be great for team and player psychology.

Posted this in the other thread:

Well we have some foreign guys which he would be perfect with...

Kanter
Gobert
Neto

Then you have Hayward and Burke who by all accounts seems to be "students of the game" so I'm sure they'll get a whole lot from Messina.

Then you're left with Favors and Burks who to me are pretty down to earth anyway plus Malone is already mentoring Favors and you get Bryant to buddy up with Burks and problem solved.

I think overall he shouldn't have too many issues with this group of guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDjFsUN-QN0

If we sign this guy, than I will wait smoothly for that first person who will do some photoshop with this.

Goodfellas.jpg

Im all good if we pick him- sounds hardcore and in depth knowledge of the game- could make our bigs bad ***

Messina is actually in quaterfinals playoffs for Euroleague Final Four ( Elite 8 )
CSKA Moscow Up 2-1 ( without Teodosic Injured ), today ( in 10 hours ) is the fourth match in Athens

https://www.euroleague.net/main/schedules/by-date
https://www.euroleague.net/competition/teams/showteam?clubcode=CSK
Seriously, this should be a good game, very tough game for CSKA, you can watch Messina in action. The game will start about 3 and a half hours later than this post's time. I remember ESPN3 airs Euroleague games but if it doesn't you can find links in usual stream websites..

OK, here some more from Messina..

This link goes to Messina's official blog on sports.ru. There are some great articles of him, every article has English translations so no need for google translate.

Here are some of them I found interesting and very good reads.

About defense and offense.. Offense or defense? No need to choose one

About new rosters and teams.. Starting from scratch

About NBA.. Some remarks on NBA basketball

About basics of Defense.. Some defensive basics

After beating Minnesota and losing against Spurs by two points.. Getting back to “European” roles

About his experience with LA, short but very interesting and you can understand what his role was in LA.. The new beginning

About Kobe.. The hero you can’t avoid talking about

There are many more but they are older and related to CSKA and other stuff etc...

And this is from Euroleague official page, a Q&A interview with fans.. Ettore Messina, CSKA Moscow

With Pop :cool:

1378578_583724441664090_1890101263_n.jpg

By the way Messina coached Ante Tomic from 2009 to 2011...Real Madrid has been Ettore's worst experience where he didn't achieve any trophy.

It would be interesting to see if Messina arrival to the Jazz would facilitate the arrival of Ante Tomic as well or the contrary!

By the way Messina coached Ante Tomic from 2009 to 2011...Real Madrid has been Ettore's worst experience where he didn't achieve any trophy.

It would be interesting to see if Messina arrival to the Jazz would facilitate the arrival of Ante Tomic as well or the contrary!

I do not think that Tomic will ever play in the NBA.

Read that Lindsey and Zanick are in Europe this week"scouting".

Jody Genessy @DJJazzyJody
Wouldn't expect Jazz coaching interviews too soon. GM Dennis Lindsey and assistant Justin Zanik are scouting in Europe through next week.

Also former byu player Travis Hansen played for Messina and had this to say...
[video=youtube_share;I5LQM3HD8sQ]https://youtu.be/I5LQM3HD8sQ

I do not think that Tomic will ever play in the NBA.

I'm pessimistic too...but never say never! I think he coud take in consideration to come to the Nba only after winning one Euroleague!

Just imagine our big-man rotation with Favors, Kanter, Gobert, Tomic and Evans! My goodness!

Enes tear you apart has posted gold there.

Some gems...

"A tennis analogy – and it’s one of the sports I love the best – pops into mind here. Great tennis players don’t commit unforced mistakes. This is how you become smart and mentally strong as a team – by cutting unforced mistakes to the minimum. And once your opponent realizes you won’t give anything for free, it puts a lot of pressure on him." Gordon Hayward likes tennis.

And I love this part....

"Another thing you do when you’re in charge of a newly-assembled team is help everybody find their roles. The roles are not just assigned. Sure, from the start you might have an idea of who could be more helpful in a supporting role and who has the talent and needs a prominent role to be effective. Still, only real action on the court will show you the truth. Sometimes a player with skills and intelligence of a “main guy” is better suited to stay away from the spotlight. There’s a football example, by the way. One of the greatest players to ever star for my beloved AC Milan was Franco Baresi. He never wanted to shine under the spotlight but still was fundamental for his team’s success."

Something that I never saw from Ty....."So, you have to know your players and all their habits. And sometimes you even have to create stressful situations to make players understand their true limits and true potential."

Read that Lindsey and Zanick are in Europe this week"scouting".

Jody Genessy @DJJazzyJody
Wouldn't expect Jazz coaching interviews too soon. GM Dennis Lindsey and assistant Justin Zanik are scouting in Europe through next week.

Also former byu player Travis Hansen played for Messina and had this to say...
[video=youtube_share;I5LQM3HD8sQ]https://youtu.be/I5LQM3HD8sQ

Great video but some things are a little concerning. He likes to slow the game down and likes to play inside/out. This sounds very similar to what Corbin was trying.