What's new

Who is Ettore Messina?

Is that on Ty or is that on the players not being smart enough? I assume it is a mixture of both. It can be taught to an extent but I also believe there are some players who are not mentally capable of playing "smart" basketball.

Though BBIQ is always a limiting factor, I think teaching players how to react is the one trait that sets great coaches apart from the rest. Popovich has almost proven this beyond a doubt with all the players he's been able to insert into his system and get to perform at a high level. Same with Sloan's ability to resurrect careers almost in their graves. Getting players to react correctly in a consistent, reliable manner is the coach's #1 priority.

That's just an example of why he is considered as one of the best basketball minds in Europe. He is far more deeply engaged within the theories of the game of basketball than your average good coach would be and he actually can transfer it to the players maybe except the latest run of CSKA.

What I liked most about his philosophy is he says it's not so much which system you chose as it is executing the correct way. That tells me he can mold to strengths while remaining focused on the details that matter.

I also like his discussion of semi-transition, or secondary transition buckets. This is the easiest area to score in consistently, and something Ty never seemed to use (one of the reporters mentioned this to Ty??? during locker cleanout day and gave a supporting stat but I don't recall it exactly).

I dont mind someone being hard on me if he truly knows what he's doing. I'd take that coaching style over someone who has no clue but tries hard to be your friend....

kkKKKkkkKKKKkkKKKKKkKKKkkkkkKKkkkkkkkkKKKkkkkkk

So you like to get spanked. But not that hard.

What I liked most about his philosophy is he says it's not so much which system you chose as it is executing the correct way. That tells me he can mold to strengths while remaining focused on the details that matter.

I also like his discussion of semi-transition, or secondary transition buckets. This is the easiest area to score in consistently, and something Ty never seemed to use (one of the reporters mentioned this to Ty??? during locker cleanout day and gave a supporting stat but I don't recall it exactly).

Exactly.. I don't know if you read but I've posted a long briefing like article of him in the other thread earlier, but can't find it since the threads got merged. But here is the link..
https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/messina/428466.html

And a part from it..
Another philosophy-related idea is that I believe that our job resembles that of a tailor. Unless you have a rare opportunity to handpick players that suit your philosophy without restrictions, you have to adjust the philosophy to fit the set of players you have. Quite often in the market you can find quality players but not necessarily those fitting your system. In that case you have to adjust because if you force players, try to “squeeze” them into the system, they’ll start playing below their capabilities. In basketball, you can play many different styles – uptempo, slowing it down, using screens, cuts, etc. Normally, it takes me a minimum of 2-3 months to fully understand how to adjust my general ideas to a certain roster.

As for the teaching methods, we tell our players to try, to make mistakes and to learn from them. This is the easiest way to teach. All of us can do it. That’s the methodology of try and error. The most basic way of learning – you see something new, you try it, you make mistakes, learn from them and gradually become better at what you’re doing. I just need to have a clear idea of how I’ll recreate the difficulties and challenges for my players.

Last edited:
It's just the way your reasoning was, "if he's taking his time, therefore it must be the Euro coach who's still coaching".

I know English isn't your first language, so I'll give you a pass.

It's more like this ----> DL said they will take their time to find the right coach. One of the rumored options is still coaching right now. DL's statement does not refute the rumor.

The End

It's more like this ----> DL said they will take their time to find the right coach. One of the rumored options is still coaching right now. DL's statement does not refute the rumor.

The End

Boylen is still coaching now.

The assistant coach in Chicago is still coaching now.

I also find it a stretch to equate not rushing a coaching hire to hiring one coach of many that are still coaching.

Other media outlets are reporting on this coach with absolutely NO reference to Lindsay saying he'll take his time to make a decision. I'd say the correlation is definitely under .5.

If they sign Messina as coach, I wonder if AK47 will return to Utah and retire as a member of the Jazz. He obviously knows the CSKA system well and won MVP with it.

I also find it a stretch to equate not rushing a coaching hire to hiring one coach of many that are still coaching.

Good for you, you found two other people to the list.

Congrats.

Just saying DL is going to take his time so anyone still coaching is not scratched off the list, even if coaching into June.

Nuance, it's a hard thing.

The End

So just because DL is taking his time finding the right coach, that automatically means he's looking at someone who's still coaching? There is NO OTHER REASONS?

LOL.. dunno what you're smoking but I want some.

Good for you, you found two other people to the list.

Congrats.

Just saying DL is going to take his time so anyone still coaching is not scratched off the list, even if coaching into June.

Nuance, it's a hard thing.

That's not what you said, though, but whatever. "Anyone still coaching is not scratched off the list" must equate to "lend credence to the Messina rumors." Considering there will be LOTS of coaches coaching into June, which still means nothing because Lindsay could take his time and hire someone in May makes it quite the stretch to imply that he's the top choice or quite the obvious, useless statement to say that he's a choice.

Other media outlets are reporting on this coach with absolutely NO reference to Lindsay saying he'll take his time to make a decision. I'd say the correlation is definitely under .5.

This.

Not sure what happened to the old "Spazz", seems like this version lost more than a few IQ's along the way.

That's not what you said, though, but whatever. "Anyone still coaching is not scratched off the list" must equate to "lend credence to the Messina rumors." Considering there will be LOTS of coaches coaching into June, which still means nothing because Lindsay could take his time and hire someone in May makes it quite the stretch to imply that he's the top choice or quite the obvious, useless statement to say that he's a choice.

This.

Not sure what happened to the old "Spazz", seems like this version lost 100 IQ's along the way and still has hundreds more than me.

Hey, if you guys take what I said at step 2 to mean step 10 I can't stop you. You are the ones reading into it.

To lend credence to it basically means what DL said makes the Messina rumor believable. Not that it's fact, or the only option.

Sorry you took it a different way.

I'll reword it for you.

What DL said lends "flawed or wrong" to the Messina rumor.

There, happy.

Can we move on to the point?