What's new

Who is Excited About Trey?

It's hard to be excited about a player that simply is not an efficient scorer, has so mercilessly chucked, had many more bad games than good, and isn't a good defender.

But his offensive skill-set is good. I don't see a very high ceiling for him, but if he can make it a point to challenge the defense occasionally and reign in his shot-selection, his contributions to the team's offense will increase significantly (both because that means his percentages should go up, but also because he should be getting other guys more/better opportunities).

He's (particularly) expendable in my mind though. Let's hope the magic that's been happening throughout the team works on him.

Last edited:
Crazy how Trey was known for his passing in college and hasn't had a 10 assist game in for-ev-er.

I knew there was trouble when he was telling everyone his favorite player was AI. I'm just trying to be supportive and hopeful, as he is showing improvements in certain areas. He has a long way to go, but I'm glad to see he is finally doing some things differently.

I still don't see a very high ceiling for him, but I'm less afraid of him being completely useless to us.

Crazy how Trey was known for his passing in college and hasn't had a 10 assist game in for-ev-er.

Roles. PGs that drop 10 assists have the rock in their hands constantly. That hasn't been Trey's role since his rookie year. His assists will drop, especially seeing as he's probably going to be our backup guard.

I can't see him ever going over 5.5APG on a Jazz team with Exum, Burks, and Hayward. Unless there's a big shift in his career trajectory, he'll probably be around 4APG as long as he's backing up Exum.

I think Trey's got an awesome future with this team. He's been awesome in the locker-room: I can't remember a PG who started through his rookie year, got benched in the 2nd for another rookie-- and has handled that demotion this well.

I think Trey's got an awesome future with this team. He's been awesome in the locker-room: I can't remember a PG who started through his rookie year, got benched in the 2nd for another rookie-- and has handled that demotion this well.

This is very true. I saw a lot of bravado maturity in year one, but am seeing the real thing from him now.

That really does say a lot about him. It's not common in the NBA, not common at all.

I knew there was trouble when he was telling everyone his favorite player was AI. I'm just trying to be supportive and hopeful, as he is showing improvements in certain areas. He has a long way to go, but I'm glad to see he is finally doing some things differently.

I still don't see a very high ceiling for him, but I'm less afraid of him being completely useless to us.

When asked he always compares himself to Chris Paul. As he did recently in another interview(don't have the link on my phone).

I think a lot of the Burke critism is fair. However I think calling him a chucker isn't fair given his role with the team. Plus I like the fact that he's not afraid to keep shooting. My biggest concern is making the right plays. He still does that a lot but if he's going to be special it got to happen even more often with Burke. Not sure if it's from a lack of trust in teammates or he's getting adjusted to a new offense and role. However he's not making the right play(which is usually an extra pass) with the same regularity as he did at Michigan.

As far as his shot and his defense I expect those to come along as he continues to train, strengthen his body, and gain experience.

I'm not excusing him for his shot selection as it is bad at times but looking at the context of the game some of them can be seen why. He does take anywhere from 2-4 bad shots a game but playing with Millsap, JIngles and Booker they at times refuse to shoot so about 2-4 times a game he ends up having to take a last second shot so that is anywhere from 4-8 shots a night. Which also I believe that gets in his head and why sometimes the ball sticks in his hands at times because he may get frustrated being put in those situations, again I'm not excusing him and he needs to improve on these things I'm just trying to put things in context and perspective.

I for one never thought he'd be a savior or even a All Star, I had hopes he would be a pretty good to slightly better than average PG that wouldn't demand a big contract and that the Jazz would be able to keep as one of those starting glue guys.

We'll have to see how he comes back next year and what role he has and how he handles that role but even if it is coming off the bench getting 24-34min (depending on how Exum plays) if the Jazz improve the bench to make a playoff push I think we'll see him become a bit more efficient.

I also think he is getting better on defense to the point where he isn't bad at defense, I don't know if he'll ever be "good" but as long as he isn't a liability I'm fine with that.

He does take anywhere from 2-4 bad shots a game but playing with Millsap, JIngles and Booker they at times refuse to shoot so about 2-4 times a game he ends up having to take a last second shot so that is anywhere from 4-8 shots a night.
That's a fair excuse right now...... but at the start of the year he played mostly with Hayward, favors, Burks, and kanter.
Still led the team in field goal attempts alot of the time (was second in attempts per game to Hayward) even though all 4 of the other players in the lineup with him were more efficient scorers.

Trey is a chucker imo

The only time I watched Trey in college was during his final NCAA tournament run. I don't recall ever seeing him pass. All I remember is him driving it to the basket for a layup attempt or shooting perimeter shots.

I have never posted anything about Burke, so here goes. I definitely see improvement. He seems to have gotten quicker and faster, but that may come from having a better knowledge of what he wants to do. He needs to take what the defense gives him on the fast breaks, instead of always wanting to shoot the ball. If he continues to improve, he may surprise us all.

I still see him as a good backup who is trending to be a great backup player. The best thing about his play lately is he is finding the right angles to score the paint more often. That and his 3 point shot has been going in consistently. He is who he is a skilled scoring pg who is undersized and average athletically. If he is willing to play 24 minutes a night as a backup and finish some game, then I can see a long term future for him here.

Almost every player in the nba can show some occasional skills.
That's why they are in the nba

Sorry, I thought it would be clear from context that we are talking about skills as a very good scorer and not "any old basketball skill" (e.g., defense, rebounding, passing, etc.), which yes, it is obvious everyone in the NBA has some occasional skill in.

And regarding his (inconsistent) skills as a very good scorer, Trey shows flashes that many NBA players never have and never will have.

Sorry, I thought it would be clear from context that we are talking about skills as a very good scorer and not "any old basketball skill" (e.g., defense, rebounding, passing, etc.), which yes, it is obvious everyone in the NBA has some occasional skill in.

And regarding his (inconsistent) skills as a very good scorer, Trey shows flashes that many NBA players never have and never will have.

Like shooting 36 % ??

He seems like a nice kid, if he can just get smarter with shot selection and learn how to lead a fast break properly he will be an excellent backup and a valuable team member. I just can't see any team with him starting contending.

Like shooting 36 % ??

He seems like a nice kid, if he can just get smarter with shot selection and learn how to lead a fast break properly he will be an excellent backup and a valuable team member. I just can't see any team with him starting contending.

Please look at the context of the previous posts and you'll find the answer to your question. Thanks.