What's new

Who of the guys on the end of our bench do you want?

Qman

This is a silly thing to worry about but I can't seem to let it go. Also I can't shake that we I doubt we are moving our young guys yet. Maybe at the tradeline.

Excluding Hayward, Favors, Gobert, Exum, Burke, Burks and Hood, who do you want on the team next year?

Booker seems to be a no brainer. We have options because his contract is unguaranteed.

With Booker, a 1st round pick and a 2nd round pick that is 10 spots filled. (I predict the other 2nd round pick will be another international guy who isn't coming over.)

So we realistically have 4 spots open (you always leave one open until after the trade deadline.) We need 2 bigs, a 3rd pg and a wing.

Options at big

Evans is better than the D league guys we have been running out there; but he is an will always be a defensive liability. If we have Gobert,Favors, stretch 4 and Booker that 5th big spot needs to be a center and Jeremy is not a center.

Jerrett seems to have the best chance as his contract is guaranteed; but it is telling his has played at all when we have needed big men minutes with Favors out. Considering he hasn't really improved, I expect he would be waived if we needed his roster spot.

Cooley seems like a stopgap sort of nba player. The kind you sign after a bunch of injuries.

Tomic- I still don't think is is ever coming over

Pleiss-I doubt he would be ready to play minutes

I expect us to draft someone who can play some PF or Center with our 1st round pick.

Wings

Ingles seems to provide something the team needs--veteran leadership/toughness. I would be really surprised if we don't bring him back.

Millsap-- I am on the fence about. He is so bad offensively some times. Now maybe it wouldn't be a problem if Exum could control the game more and get him in a position to succeed more. If he could shoot the 3 a little better I would feel a lot better about this. But I seem him making the team.

Basically I think the front office is going to make Jerret sit in the 15th roster spot and be ready to waive him if needed.

Johnson looks good when his 3's go. The rest of the time, his game looks incomplete. Don't need him.

I am okay with Cotton as a 3rd point guard but he is stretching to make it there. But I would rather have Neto.

Booker might fall victim of the numbers if we decide to make a big move in the summer. I like Ingles and Millsap as end of the bench/situational players. I don't care much for Johnson, Cotton and Cooley. I wouldn't mind if Evans is signed as 14th-15th man on the roster. Jerret doesn't even look like a basketball player... If the coaching staff thinks they can work with him I don't mind it, but in general don't care much about him either.

Booker seems like a shoe in. The staff love his hustle. Evans is the guy my kids love to see, so I hope he gets another contract.

Keep Ingles, Milsap and Booker. Use the cap money to upgrade the roster depth. I highly doubt they can pull a max guy to play here.

I'd be heart broken if Booker is let go. I also think Ingles and Millsap are very good bench fillers and I hope are kept.

I think there is something beyond the numbers that Booker and Ingles bring to this team that would be missed if the Jazz decide not to bring them back.

Booker is a must keep to me.
Ingles is the next guy I want, He brings some of the things Hayward does to the game (not as good though), But also brings leadership and the glue factor.
I don't mind if Millsap is kept but don't care either way. Millsap to me is a defensive stopper only. I have become disenchanted with him over time. I really liked him to begin with but not so much any more. I like his defense but feel a replacement can be had that brings more shooting.
I don't really want Evans back. If he's really cheap fine but any other way I just don't think he brings enough to keep.
Cotton, Cooley and Jerrett are just roster filler to me. They can come back only if their spot is not cheaply upgraded. I think Cotton has the best shot here to stick as the 3rd PG.

I tackled your question earlier tonight:

"...Cotton is a great 3rd PG to have.

Our roster is almost full! If we keep our 1st and bring Tomic over we're going to be at 14 (that's if Cooley & Johnson don't return). (If Evans if gone we're down to 13 spots)"

For sures: Booker and Ingles.

Booker plays with such fire.
Ingles is a prototypical Spurs player.

Hopefully: Millsap

That will probably be it.

I like Cooley and think he could play valuable situational minutes. He will never light up the score board but he's got a solid frame and a toughness about him. Not sure if he will make the team, but I could see some other team picking him up.

Booker, Ingles, Millsap without a doubt plus Id like to see Evans back even as 14th man but we really need a center who can play 10 mins to spell Rudy when he needs a breather.

I think there is something beyond the numbers that Booker and Ingles bring to this team that would be missed if the Jazz decide not to bring them back.

Absolutely. The only way either should be gone is if the Jazz can get a great, I mean great player by shedding their salaries. I just don't see it happening, so I'd rather the Jazz keep them, draft the BPA, and then sign a vet backup PG (if that means getting rid of Burke so be it).

i'm cooling on millsap. for a reputedly great defender he commits a lot of silly fouls on reaches, grabs and bumps 30 feet from the basket. with burks back next year i can't imagine we carry millsap, johnson and ingles. i'd keep one of the 3, either johnson or ingles.

Exum
Burke
Burk
Hood
Hayward
Gobert
Favors
Tomic
Booker
Ingles
Cooley
Rookie
Cotton or Neto
2nd round rookie or Evans if he signs for minimum or maybe this spot goes to Milsap if our Rookie is a big

Unless for some reason we sign a big name FA or make a major trade this is what I expect the roster to be next year and will be very happy with it.

https://www.nba.com/jazz/features/emptying-noggin-hood-good

""Bryce Cotton, Rodney Hood, Joe Ingles, Jeremy Evans and Trevor Booker – why of course. That is the 5 man line-up that carried the Jazz through the key run of the game and to a win."

"*** Bryce Cotton played a nice game tonight. He is crazy fast. He played with pace. Aaron Brooks is the model for Bryce Cotton, but Brooks a bit stronger and Brooks is super tough. Don’t know if Cotton can match him on those two accounts. He played a nice game. 4 rebounds in 12:30 shows some toughness."

https://saltcityhoops.com/the-triple-team-three-thoughts-on-utah-jazz-at-sacramento-kings-452015/

"First, Bryce Cotton showed why Utah seems to really like him and why the Spurs were so high on him earlier this season4. He played with pace, pushing the ball after misses and makes. His buzzer-beating trey to end the first quarter was a big shot. Cotton was the play-maker in the fourth quarter and his energy was contagious. The diminutive guard finished with seven points, two assists and surprisingly enough, four rebounds in 13 minutes."

-------------------------------------------------------------

I don't pretend to be objective. I'm a Cotton booster. But, after all, he has had to prove everyone mistaken at every level. If he continues to get minutes, that speedy little guy will distribute the ball just fine, and he can shoot. At least he should be the 3rd PG option. Personally, I think he can be a matchup nightmare in some instances. Bryce Cotton is a very good point guard. Not a starter but he can energize a team off the bench.

https://purpleandblues.com/2015/04/05/happy-easter-from-bryce-cotton-tail/

Last edited:
Keep Booker as the primary PF back up. I would like to see Ingles, Evans and Millsap at the end of the bench. Possibly Cotton as well.

To me end of the bench means the guys that only see the floor in garbage time. In that Case Ingles, Evans and Millsap seem like great team guys that will help maintain the defensive and team mind set if a big move is made.

https://www.nba.com/jazz/features/emptying-noggin-hood-good

""Bryce Cotton, Rodney Hood, Joe Ingles, Jeremy Evans and Trevor Booker – why of course. That is the 5 man line-up that carried the Jazz through the key run of the game and to a win."

"*** Bryce Cotton played a nice game tonight. He is crazy fast. He played with pace. Aaron Brooks is the model for Bryce Cotton, but Brooks a bit stronger and Brooks is super tough. Don’t know if Cotton can match him on those two accounts. He played a nice game. 4 rebounds in 12:30 shows some toughness."

https://saltcityhoops.com/the-triple-team-three-thoughts-on-utah-jazz-at-sacramento-kings-452015/

"First, Bryce Cotton showed why Utah seems to really like him and why the Spurs were so high on him earlier this season4. He played with pace, pushing the ball after misses and makes. His buzzer-beating trey to end the first quarter was a big shot. Cotton was the play-maker in the fourth quarter and his energy was contagious. The diminutive guard finished with seven points, two assists and surprisingly enough, four rebounds in 13 minutes."

-------------------------------------------------------------

I don't pretend to be objective. I'm a Cotton booster. But, after all, he has had to prove everyone mistaken at every level. If he continues to get minutes, that speedy little guy will distribute the ball just fine, and he can shoot. At least he should be the 3rd PG option. Personally, I think he can be a matchup nightmare in some instances. Bryce Cotton is a very good point guard. Not a starter but he can energize a team off the bench.

https://purpleandblues.com/2015/04/05/happy-easter-from-bryce-cotton-tail/

Cotton would be a fine 3rd PG. Heck, he could blossom into a good backup if things break right for him, or at least a very good change of pace sort of player.

Book and Joe. Ambivalent about the rest.

Love Jeremy but he's gone. Seems like a thoughtful and realistic guy, but who would be happy not playing most nights for the five or whatever years it's been so far? Dude could be a superstar somewhere else in the world. Imagining him getting 36 mins a game in China or something and just raining down 5 jaw-dropping highlights a game and being a crazy cult figure. Or come play in Melbourne and we can sink cans and paint pictures together, while you tell me 'bout all the times Enes tripped over his feet in shoot around.♥

Another plug for Cotton as 3rd PG.

https://www.sltrib.com/blogs/jazznotes/2375800-155/cotton-making-the-most-of-his

Latest Salt Lake Trubune article touting Cotton:

Cotton making the most of his chance

When you stand next to Bryce Cotton, it's evident that he's not nearly as tall as his listed height, 6-foot-1. He's about 5-10, MAYBE 5-11, which makes his exceedingly small for an NBA player.

But guess what? Bryce Cotton is proving to be an NBA player.

With Trey Burke down for a few games because of a sore lower back, Cotton has inherited back-up point guard minutes for the Jazz. And he's made the most of them.

His highlight occurred on Sunday night, in a road win over the Sacramento Kings. Cotton scored eight points, and grabbed four rebounds. He was a pest defensively. He successfully got his team into sets and he generally played well in spelling Dante Exum.

"I thought Bryce did a nice job, and I told him that," Utah coach Quin Snyder said. "He's someone who's been making a nice contribution for us."

Cotton is small. But his speed is a big asset and has been a bit eye-opening. He's fast in the open floor. More importantly, he's quick to the basketball, a trait that allowed him to grab four rebounds in about 10 minutes.

He's shown a nice mid-range jumper, and he's shown the willingness to be aggressive with his offense. At this point, with a multi-year deal, it's not difficult to imagine Cotton carving himself out a role going forward as Utah's third point guard. As his play has shown, the Jazz could certainly do worse.

He's a rookie who plays with a chip on his shoulder. He received one collegiate offer out of high school - at Providence. He was undrafted after developing into an all-conference Big East performer. He's spent time with the Spurs organization in the D-League.

His NBA future is still a bit murky. He doesn't yet have security beyond the end of the season for the Jazz. But Cotton is proving he has NBA talent. And for him, making the most of an opportunity is all he asks.