What's new

Who will be the starting point guard on opening night?

Who's going to be the starting point guard this season?

• Sexton

• Clarkson

• George

• Dunn

• THT

• Someone we haven't traded for yet

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think the most fair thing with Dunn is to be cautiously optimistic. He seemed to have fixed a lot of the things that had prevented him from being a rotation player, but our evidence to this point is G-League and games with us where we were actively trying to lose. I personally don't feel like that data is nothing, but according to one of our assistant coaches (per Locke) there is nothing that we can take away from the last half of the season.
Yeah exactly my thoughts. Optimistic but not holding my breath.

The Sexton trade rumors earlier this offseason indicate that DA/Hardy might be happy with either Dunn or THT, as they werent about chasing some better option.

If they were high on THT, Id imagine there would have been some contract extension talks but if there has been Ive missed them.

He shot 10% above his career average from the filed and 16% above his career average from 3. That's kind of the definition of super duper flukey.
Which is why I said he may not live up to his numbers which were phenomenal but its not super flukey that he is a solid rotation player as he was a rotation level player in year's past.

Yeah exactly my thoughts. Optimistic but not holding my breath.

The Sexton trade rumors earlier this offseason indicate that DA/Hardy might be happy with either Dunn or THT, as they werent about chasing some better option.

If they were high on THT, Id imagine there would have been some contract extension talks but if there has been Ive missed them.
Damn, had no idea you had a source inside the contract extension talk rooms.

Oh give me a break dude.

If you wanted to do an honest Dunn vs THT stats comparisson you'd measure both of their post ASB stats. And even that would still be skewed more towards Dunn because THT didnt play in the final 3 cupcake games.
Im not talking counting stats. I'm talking advanced stats. Dunn slays THT like he is a friendly NPC goblin.

Which is why I said he may not live up to his numbers which were phenomenal but its not super flukey that he is a solid rotation player as he was a rotation level player in year's past.
I kind of agree, but if he is suddenly a 33% 3pt shooter who is hesitant to shoot it, that does knock him down significantly to possibly not being in the rotation.

The Clippers wont include Mann to get Harden, so keep dreaming.

And he absolutely can not masquerade as a PG.
It would be in a three team deal to get Harden.... I understand that is their current stance but Philly's current stance is "even if they include Mann we need more". Teams come off of their negotiating stances when they need to get something done.

Im not talking counting stats. I'm talking advanced stats. Dunn slays THT like he is a friendly NPC goblin.
1694013192055.png
1694013203273.png

Im sure you can get more advanced stats than this, but a quick look at how both players performed post ASB shows the following. (THT is the top row). And that's with THT missing the final 3 games where he could have put up 3 insane games given how low effort those games where.

So do you want the 29 year old who played within himself and put up career flukey stats or the 22 year old who pushes the boundaries and has potential? There's positives to both, but I'd rather roll the dice on the potential because Dunn isnt doing anything of significance for us at a position where we have more talented and interesting options.

I kind of agree, but if he is suddenly a 33% 3pt shooter who is hesitant to shoot it, that does knock him down significantly to possibly not being in the rotation.
I think his defense and the driving/mid range will carry him enough that he is a rotation player. He was god level in the mid range/floater game last year. That likely changes but based on what I saw I think he can be very good still.

View attachment 15060
View attachment 15061

Im sure you can get more advanced stats than this, but a quick look at how both players performed post ASB shows the following. (THT is the top row). And that's with THT missing the final 3 games where he could have put up 3 insane games given how low effort those games where.
Yeah I think Dunn's outlier shooting efficiency and low turnover count were the main factors for the BPMs and whatnots.

But if THT actually improved his numbers post ASB then they were horrible to begin with. I mean he finished 447th in WS/48.

Yeah I think Dunn's outlier shooting efficiency and low turnover count were the main factors for the BPMs and whatnots.

But if THT actually improved his numbers post ASB then they were horrible to begin with. I mean he finished 447th in WS/48.
They were like last in the league type of bad.

Yes, he had some very rough months in November/December.

If he can raise his 3pt attempts to at least 4 attempts per 36 and maintain an above 35% 3pt %, I would be more optimistic. That would be about double the rate he took them with the Jazz in his last stint.

That's just the issue with Sexton or Dunn starting. They are both hesitant 3pt shooters. Even if they are accurate, you can easily sag off them and recover to prevent an attempt because they dont want to take those shots. Yes they both have skills/abilities to make up for that lack of shooting, but if you want your starting unit to run properly, I dont see that happening with either player and that's probably why the starting backcourt will be Clarkson/Ochai.
Its also an issue with THT (that teams can sag off). I would say even more so.

And like I pointed out some time ago, THT was actually very good in catch and shoot situations January and on (above 38%).