What's new

Who Would You Rather Have Part 2 - Better Than Infection's

Who would you rather have

• Total voters
Here’s the catch 22:

He plays well enough to get the Jazz interested in him and also plays himself out of our range.

He doesn’t play well enough to get the FO attention and we don’t grab him when he’s in our range.

Of course we know there’s a third option where he doesn’t outperform our ability to get him and the FO is proactive enough to get him, but we know that isn’t how this works.

I think some front offices would think you were bonkers if you offered him MLE. I think he's good enough he could get more than that... I'd see if we could get him at MLE and if that wasn't enough I'd try really hard to work a sign and trade (Ed, TB, and whoever we drafted this year) I think we could go to $15M and the assets/flexibility might be more appealing to them than signing him to a long term deal.

If he goes for less than MLE I will be pissed we didn't try. I'd give him every option he wants on the MLE (length, player options, etc.). I think he has a high floor and all-star potential.

Player A and Player B are both long power forwards. Scott Padgett is Scott Padgett

All averages are per 36 minutes:

Player A - Age 24 season
19.1 pts - 7.8 rebounds - 3.5 Assists - 1 stl - .7 blk
55% fg - 37% from 3 on 3 attempts per36 - 78% ft on 4.3 fta per game - TS 62.8%

Player B - Age 24 season
21.1 pts - 10.8 rebs - 1.5 Assists - .9 stl - 1.6 blk
56.5% FG - 38.5% from 3 on 3.7 attempts per36 - 74% ft on 6.6 FTA per game - TS 66%

Who ya got?
Player B by far

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Who is player B?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
Fine I will do the big reveal.

Player A is Pascal Siakam last year... Age 24 season
Player B is Christian Wood this year... Age 24 season
The player C not on the poll but in the thread is Aaron Gordon... Age 24 season.

Christian Wood is fantastic... we should do what we can within reason to get him. Not having cap space doesn't stop GMs from figuring out how to get their guys. MLE may end up being enough.

If he goes for less than MLE I will be pissed we didn't try. I'd give him every option he wants on the MLE (length, player options, etc.). I think he has a high floor and all-star potential.
If he goes for less than the MLE, which would be worse: the fact that he went for less than the MLE or the inevitable contingent of JFC that says "bro, he went for less than the MLE, he didn't want to come here." [that will be the narrative if/when he blows up... before he blows up, the narrative will be "there's a reason he went for less than the MLE".]

Not having cap space doesn't stop GMs from figuring out how to get their guys. MLE may end up being enough.
It's amazing how many franchises over the cap magically clear space. Like, that can only apparently happen to other franchises.

If he goes for less than the MLE, which would be worse: the fact that he went for less than the MLE or the inevitable contingent of JFC that says "bro, he went for less than the MLE, he didn't want to come here." [that will be the narrative if/when he blows up... before he blows up, the narrative will be "there's a reason he went for less than the MLE".]

We need to name these things after players as examples... this is the Bjelica Principle.

I’m telling y’all doe Wood is crazy productive and efficient... he does it in a variety of ways... has been in ****** development environments and doesn’t have like the best perimeter players giving him space. I feel like if you give Quin someone with these tools and skill it could be special.

Super underrated.

It's amazing how many franchises over the cap magically clear space. Like, that can only apparently happen to other franchises.

Miami is amazing to me. Clips did it too when they got Gallo. Houston worked cap and dark magic to get CP3. Sadly I think we will be talking with old guys rather than functional young dudes with upside... more Thabo and Jonas types... not upside guys.

My worry with Christian Wood is that he’ll go all Hasan Whiteside after he gets $$$.

Wood has had an enviable skill set since he came into the league a few years ago. It is a bit worrying that he’s putting it all together on a bad team in a contract year. But this is the swing for the fences while balancing the roster kind of move that needs a sever looking into, for sure.

My worry with Christian Wood is that he’ll go all Hasan Whiteside after he gets $$$.

Wood has had an enviable skill set since he came into the league a few years ago. It is a bit worrying that he’s putting it all together on a bad team in a contract year. But this is the swing for the fences while balancing the roster kind of move that needs a sever looking into, for sure.

I heard some story from some guy on a pod (I can’t remember it was early and I was at the gym)... he actually was raw and just rail thin when he came into the league... the guy said he saw him at the nba workout and guys would just move him out of the way...he’s filled out and worked his *** off. You watch him now and he finishes through contact and goes right into dudes chests. He was super productive last year then found himself in a roster crunch and got cut.

There are some definite Whiteside elements... but Whiteside’s current issues are somewhat specific to his personality and game. I think they both had real maturity issues and needed to fill out.

I’d be terrified with Wood on a max deal... but on a MLE deal or close to it that’s easy money. He’d still be motivated to get that mega payday. The big question is on defense. Is he average/below average but with some good stats... rebounds, steals, blocks but sells out and isn’t in the right spots. Or does he need some fine tuning and has skills/tools to be great. I’m already convinced he’s a really good offensive player.