What's new

Who's getting bought out this year?

I really dont reckon we make any roster moves this year. Possibly next year too, really think we'll bring Conley back. Georges will remain the 9th man until Morgan can take it from him, which im not sure he can. I like Morgan by the way

I think y'all underestimate Niang's impact on the lockerroom. Sure the guy has flaws, but chemistry is driving the success this year. I think he is a big part of that.

Any Niang replacement would sacrifice chemistry and probably get in the way of Oni development.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

Yeah he's a popular guy, Joe's sidekick in the locker room. That **** really has a value

I think y'all underestimate Niang's impact on the lockerroom. Sure the guy has flaws, but chemistry is driving the success this year. I think he is a big part of that.

Any Niang replacement would sacrifice chemistry and probably get in the way of Oni development.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
What if the guy we replaced niang with had even more chemistry with our jazz roster though

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Signing a buyout player doesn't mean Niang isn't on the team.

So this is one that won't happen, but serious consideration should be taken for it: Kyle Korver.

The things I would emphasize that would be important about this are 1) role, 2) familiarity, 3) fit, and 4) reputation.

This is not to diminish from Niang. I think Niang has given great effort, and he like others on the team (Conley, Bojan, Clarkson) who haven't been known for being defenders, are playing excellent team defense. I know there's an argument on the value of Niang's three point shooting and its impact on spacing and whatnot. But I think when we're talking about the difference between that and even Korver's reputation alone, these are worlds apart. I would be very interested in the number breakdown on Niang's percentages based on when he's being guarded. Niang has done really well shooting the three the prior two seasons (40% and 41%), but his attempts do appear mostly open. When Korver gets up threes, these are often contested or heavily contested, on the move, with a second or two on the clock, falling out of bounds, etc. When we traded for him, you would notice the defenders expending a lot of energy doing everything they could to stay with him. Now, you could say that our bench scoring sucked and so they could devote more resources to this strategy, but if defenses now have to devote energy elsewhere, well, then you're leaving open Korver. But Niang may draw the defense in the sense that maybe they'll try to close out more, but even by reputation alone, you'll see Korver stretch that quite a bit more. We're a great three point shooting team, but Korver is an all-time great, and because we have a lot of guys that can shoot, it opens up the floor for guys getting open looks. Korver is a guy who hits high percentages regardless of what kind of three he's putting up, and isn't relying on the defense giving him open shots. That's a different dynamic and a different type of player. The closest we have is Bogey, and if you can afford to have a couple of those guys (especially when the rotation spot you're upgrading is Niang), then that's a huge boon.

In terms of role, he played 16 mpg last year with Milwaukee and 20 mpg the year before with us. Niang is currently picking up 12 mpg and that would essentially be where I'd see his average sitting. Clearly he's familiar with the other guys and the system, even if it's a bit different. It would not require a huge adjustment period. All the things that Niang is currently doing well that we're not wanting to discount, are all boxes that Korver can check. I do think this is one of those moves that has a lot of arrows pointing to why it would make sense with little cost in terms of adjustment/chemistry or other issues. And you can still keep Niang on the team.

My 9th man wish list:

1. OPJ.
2. Gay.
3. Tucker (maybe).
4. Love.
5. Korver.
6. RHJ.

So this is one that won't happen, but serious consideration should be taken for it: Kyle Korver.

The things I would emphasize that would be important about this are 1) role, 2) familiarity, 3) fit, and 4) reputation.

This is not to diminish from Niang. I think Niang has given great effort, and he like others on the team (Conley, Bojan, Clarkson) who haven't been known for being defenders, are playing excellent team defense. I know there's an argument on the value of Niang's three point shooting and its impact on spacing and whatnot. But I think when we're talking about the difference between that and even Korver's reputation alone, these are worlds apart. I would be very interested in the number breakdown on Niang's percentages based on when he's being guarded. Niang has done really well shooting the three the prior two seasons (40% and 41%), but his attempts do appear mostly open. When Korver gets up threes, these are often contested or heavily contested, on the move, with a second or two on the clock, falling out of bounds, etc. When we traded for him, you would notice the defenders expending a lot of energy doing everything they could to stay with him. Now, you could say that our bench scoring sucked and so they could devote more resources to this strategy, but if defenses now have to devote energy elsewhere, well, then you're leaving open Korver. But Niang may draw the defense in the sense that maybe they'll try to close out more, but even by reputation alone, you'll see Korver stretch that quite a bit more. We're a great three point shooting team, but Korver is an all-time great, and because we have a lot of guys that can shoot, it opens up the floor for guys getting open looks. Korver is a guy who hits high percentages regardless of what kind of three he's putting up, and isn't relying on the defense giving him open shots. That's a different dynamic and a different type of player. The closest we have is Bogey, and if you can afford to have a couple of those guys (especially when the rotation spot you're upgrading is Niang), then that's a huge boon.

In terms of role, he played 16 mpg last year with Milwaukee and 20 mpg the year before with us. Niang is currently picking up 12 mpg and that would essentially be where I'd see his average sitting. Clearly he's familiar with the other guys and the system, even if it's a bit different. It would not require a huge adjustment period. All the things that Niang is currently doing well that we're not wanting to discount, are all boxes that Korver can check. I do think this is one of those moves that has a lot of arrows pointing to why it would make sense with little cost in terms of adjustment/chemistry or other issues. And you can still keep Niang on the team.
I think we need to go the other way with the 9th man. Would rather get an wing defender to throw at Lebron, Kahwi, Jamal Murray... Its why we should be throwing Oni out there for seasoning. I don't think we need to worry too much about the difference between what Niang brings versus other options in the regular season. We need to use that 12 minutes a night to develop something we can use in the playoffs.

Not buyout guys... but if you could somehow swipe Tate or House (I know he had sex with a girl in the bubble) from Houston I think they could help. I highly doubt Tate would be available for anything outside of a first. House has a little money left on his deal next year so Tillman may want to send him away. Has had a slow start to the year.

I think our best course is just to give Niang's minutes to Oni once Mike comes back.

Not buyout guys... but if you could somehow swipe Tate or House (I know he had sex with a girl in the bubble) from Houston I think they could help. I highly doubt Tate would be available for anything outside of a first. House has a little money left on his deal next year so Tillman may want to send him away. Has had a slow start to the year.

I think our best course is just to give Niang's minutes to Oni once Mike comes back.
Maybe, but even if that’s our approach RHJ is out there chillin’.

But one guy I’d also consider a revisit on is Ariza. I wouldn’t say I’m ready to buy, but I’m curious. You could say I’m buy-curious. I know the consensus is that the dude is washed, and I know you were more familiar with him being unmotivated in Sacramento. But he seemed to be okay in Portland. I remember TJ would always be cryptic about another “wing” the Jazz were going to sign if they got Mirotic, and nobody really fit the bill. Perhaps him, I don’t know. But I think playing unmotivated in Sacramento and not playing in OKC is probably a huge red flag for the FO in terms of who they bring in to the organization. But based purely off skill, I think him being washed isn’t as big of a deal. The guys we’d be picking up someone like him for would be the bigger perimeter guys where we need some length, and could perhaps sacrifice some lateral quickness in the event that he’s lost some. Think the Joe Ingles approach. Ingles can be a smart defender, despite physical limitations, and if Ariza can just play a few minutes of smart defense on the likes of Kawhi, PG, LeBron, etc.

Sounds like Blake Griffin might be headed for a buyout if they can't trade him. I think he'd be in LA so damn fast if it happened... I also doubt he'd be all ready for the Niang minutes, but that's an interesting name I didn't expect.

Iirc I saw some advanced stats on Gay about three weeks ago and they were phenomenal, especially considering how mediocre a team the Spurs are.

I might be wrong on that but I swear I read something on that.

I remember TJ would always be cryptic about another “wing” the Jazz were going to sign if they got Mirotic, and nobody really fit the bill.
I'm guessing 85% that it was either Jeremy Lamb (most likely) or Terrence Ross.

Iirc I saw some advanced stats on Gay about three weeks ago and they were phenomenal, especially considering how mediocre a team the Spurs are.

His advanced stats are really good especially defense... that may be him playing with Poetl and not Aldridge though. The defensive advanced stats are always a little tough to trust. Like Conley this year... he's been good but he also plays like 90% of his minutes with Rudy.

He has great +/- numbers (at least in the raw form), but that may be because the Spurs bench (along with Poeltl/Mills, esp.) has always had great numbers compared to Spurs starters.

Individually, his stats are nothing to particularly admire. As of now, his shooting percentages are average to low, though he's a decent rebounder. Higher than average usage. Everything else is middling. Can't speak how he's doing on defense this year.

(EDIT: beat to the punch by HH, I see)

SA has been playing really well recently, especially with LMA out. I was always surprised SA picked up LMA because he’s the exact opposite of what they value.

Comparing Korver to Niang, you have to consider Korver's age and at this stage, the only thing he will be better at than Georges is shooting. Georges is more rugged and will rebound better and Georges also has a better handle and can get to the rim better -- Korver seldom puts the ball on the floor and goes to hole. When Korver was younger, he was probably a better defender but that is probably doubtful now.

My 9th man wish list:

1. OPJ.
2. Gay.
3. Tucker (maybe).
4. Love.
5. Korver.
6. RHJ.
I have a hard time seeing the Jazz making a trade to pick up any of the first four here (or really anyone for that matter, barring some unforseen possibility). In most cases, the marginal improvement over Niang for what we'd have to give up/spend just isn't worth it, I'd guess the Jazz figure.

I think it we're solely looking at the buyout market. I don't know why Gay would be bought out (Spurs are in the playoff race). OPJ is a possibility, though I haven't really heard any chatter, as the Bulls are probably not under any pressure to have him leave. I don't know how Love gets bought out since he's signed through '23. Perhaps Tucker, though the Rockets might still think they're in the playoff race. But he's having a pretty undewhelming year. Not clear that he'd supplant Niang in the regular rotation and not sure that he'd want to bet on himself securing a rotation spot with the Jazz over other contenders out there (Nets, esp.).

I don't think the Jazz figure Korver to be an upgrade over what Niang brings, at this point.

I think it's close to 50/50 on whether the Jazz decide to bring anyone in, and unless I'm missing any possibilities out there I'd say the top 4 most likely are:
  1. RHJ (first simply because he's most clearly available; uncertain whether he'd play though, unless someone in our rotation becomes unavailable, given his shooting issues; seems like he'd be a nice piece to have for emergencies, in any case)
  2. Bjelica (I think decent likelihood of being bought out; could give emergency depth at center while we're missing Azubuike, along with relatively easily sliding into Niang's role if needed/wanted)
  3. OPJ (probably highest on the Jazz's list if he's bought out, but I don't think the possibility of buyout is that high)
  4. Tucker (I guess I can see a possible path to the Jazz here, though it's a real longshot)

Lakers will add former all-stars.
Jazzfanz talking about d-leauge players.

Stephen A smith is not wrong.

I have a hard time seeing the Jazz making a trade to pick up any of the first four here (or really anyone for that matter, barring some unforseen possibility). In most cases, the marginal improvement over Niang for what we'd have to give up/spend just isn't worth it, I'd guess the Jazz figure.

I think it we're solely looking at the buyout market. I don't know why Gay would be bought out (Spurs are in the playoff race). OPJ is a possibility, though I haven't really heard any chatter, as the Bulls are probably not under any pressure to have him leave. I don't know how Love gets bought out since he's signed through '23. Perhaps Tucker, though the Rockets might still think they're in the playoff race. But he's having a pretty undewhelming year. Not clear that he'd supplant Niang in the regular rotation and not sure that he'd want to bet on himself securing a rotation spot with the Jazz over other contenders out there (Nets, esp.).

I don't think the Jazz figure Korver to be an upgrade over what Niang brings, at this point.

I think it's close to 50/50 on whether the Jazz decide to bring anyone in, and unless I'm missing any possibilities out there I'd say the top 4 most likely are:
  1. RHJ (first simply because he's most clearly available; uncertain whether he'd play though, unless someone in our rotation becomes unavailable, given his shooting issues; seems like he'd be a nice piece to have for emergencies, in any case)
  2. Bjelica (I think decent likelihood of being bought out; could give emergency depth at center while we're missing Azubuike, along with relatively easily sliding into Niang's role if needed/wanted)
  3. OPJ (probably highest on the Jazz's list if he's bought out, but I don't think the possibility of buyout is that high)
  4. Tucker (I guess I can see a possible path to the Jazz here, though it's a real longshot)
I don’t think there’s a trade there for nearly anyone in the league, so we’re purely buyout, and I think the odds any of these guys getting bought out is only slightly higher than our odds of being able to trade for them (0%). That said, the landscape changes fast. Who knows who hits the market. Probably guys we aren’t thinking about. Would love for it to be OPJ, but he’s not a 33+ year old on last legs, so a buyout is unlikely. RHJ is nice in theory, but if we were interested in him, we would have signed him by now. Barring injury, I don’t see him coming in, unless holding off on signing a guy like him was tax implications and they’re now confident in our ability to contend and decided to go for it.

In regards to those who worry about the Jazz bringing in a player via trade or buyout to eat up Niang’s minutes and how that will effect the team chemistry, I have a simple answer: **** that noise.

I can assure you that the strand of thread that is keeping this locker room happy and content is not whether or not Georges Niang is getting some playing time. This year’s Jazz team is on a whole other level than they’ve been before. These guys are hungry for a Chip and they’re starting to actually believe that the Western Conference is theres for the taking. If for some wild reason, a guy like Rudy Gay or OPJ came available for the Jazz, I can imagine that Lindsay and Quin would have a pretty easy time selling that to the guys in the locker room.