What's new

Who's the ideal #1?

I guess the question I would have is this: How would Wemby, Lauri, and Kessler do as a front line? Maybe we would also draft Cason Wallace or Turquavion Smith to add to our Sexton/Agbaji rotation. Does that give us a championship?
You get Wemby and he's what everyone thinks he should be, yeah, that's a pretty quick route to real contention.

With regard to JC... I think he ends up aging kinda like DeRozan... they are crafty and hoopers... tend to keep adding stuff even late career. Demar seems to only get better and he's 33 with no real signs of slowing.

I don't wholly disagree, but I think our biggest concerns are getting better defensive players while not losing too much shooting and maintaining long-term ball movement once whatever magic Hardy is performing on the roster wears off (as it's bound to, to some degree).
Extremely well reasoned argument imo. I can’t dispute it but would only add that from an organic perspective team defense may take longer than team offense to really gel. I like your approach, I just don’t want to do anything rash that’s going to maybe derail this good thing we have gaining momentum.

Honestly, getting Lauri is probably the best case. Who the hell doesn't fit with a seven foot 3 ball sniper who can also post, drive hard to the rim, and demands a double? Just put people who are good at basketball around him. Who did you put around Dirk? Didn't really matter because when Dirk was on, he couldn't be stopped.

Just make sure that you get plus NBA players and don't screw things by swinging too hard on a curve like Minny just did or Dallas did a few years ago. We have enough picks we can home grow some stuff without mortgaging everything. Home grown talent is cheaper too.

Haliburton
100%

Ive said it before, if these two were put together it would be just mayhem on offense. Also Kessler would eat pretty well. All 3 also play good defense.

My pipe dream is that the devil in our FO somehow manages to make this happen.

Honestly, getting Lauri is probably the best case. Who the hell doesn't fit with a seven foot 3 ball sniper who can also post, drive hard to the rim, and demands a double? Just put people who are good at basketball around him. Who did you put around Dirk? Didn't really matter because when Dirk was on, he couldn't be stopped.

Just make sure that you get plus NBA players and don't screw things by swinging too hard on a curve like Minny just did or Dallas did a few years ago. We have enough picks we can home grow some stuff without mortgaging everything. Home grown talent is cheaper too.
Funny thing.... I made some comps about Lauri earlier this season but never posted them.

Interesting thing I found out was that Dirk was a really bad comp in many ways. He took 55% from his shots from midrange (10ft-3P) and 22% from close range (0-10ft) and 22% from 3. Lauri is the polar opposite, taking 45% of his shots from close range, 10% from mid range and 45% from 3PT. Another bad comp about Dirk was the play selection. Dirk didnt do cuts, drives, PnR or pin downs as much as Lauri does. However he posted up and played iso a lot more than Lauri. Only thing common is lots of spot ups. Dirk was so much more stationary as a player, while Lauri is a fast dynamic guy who likes to get the ball in speed more.

In terms of shooting areas and play types, the best superstar comp I could find was Jayson Tatum (also 45%, 10%, 45% or so). But on the eyeball test he looks different to me. He dribbles much more and plays iso much more.. but on the other hand he also likes to get the ball on the move and spots up a lot. Doesnt post up much.

I guess its a good thing there is no comp? Most superstars in the history are kinda unique players at least for their era and no one really compares to them well.

Well you know what they say about opinions (including my own). All I know is that: a) he’s currently #8 in the initial NBA.com Clutch Player Award ladder, big shots every game, b) he’s our second leading scorer at 21 pts a game with solid %, c) he outplayed Mitchell and Harden on subsequent nights and then fared better than Mitchell had being covered by Jaden McDaniels.
When did he outplay Mitchel!?

I think JC could continue in the #2 role. Still think Rui would fit quite well on the roster to round it out, increased size and athleticism. After that would try to fill PG spot through the draft this year as well as a younger SF/PF that can grow within the system

100%

Ive said it before, if these two were put together it would be just mayhem on offense. Also Kessler would eat pretty well. All 3 also play good defense.

My pipe dream is that the devil in our FO somehow manages to make this happen.
Seriously Haliburton is EXACTLY the player we need at the helm. If we can somehow pull off a good draft pick this year, or otherwise add that long defensive wing we have needed for years, I would then be all on board to throw the bulk of our remaining assets at acquiring Haliburton. I know they will never let him go without a package like what we got for Gobert and Mitchell, but man would that ever take care of everything we need. Then it would be just filling in the blank spots.

Imagine something like:

Haliburton
JC (if we can keep him, otherwise, if he needs to be used to get Haliburton then pencil in some other SG here, almost doesn't matter - new draft pickup, or signing a mid-range vet that is a decent 3&D or alternate playmaker)
New Wing (idk the draft well enough, but hell consider one of the Thompsons, or in the ultimate pipe dream, Wemby)
Lauri
Kessler

Day-um. Rack up the rings. Fun to dream, innit?

I'm not sure about #1 but I definitely would prefer Robert Wagner as #2.

Seriously Haliburton is EXACTLY the player we need at the helm. If we can somehow pull off a good draft pick this year, or otherwise add that long defensive wing we have needed for years, I would then be all on board to throw the bulk of our remaining assets at acquiring Haliburton. I know they will never let him go without a package like what we got for Gobert and Mitchell, but man would that ever take care of everything we need. Then it would be just filling in the blank spots.

Imagine something like:

Haliburton
JC (if we can keep him, otherwise, if he needs to be used to get Haliburton then pencil in some other SG here, almost doesn't matter - new draft pickup, or signing a mid-range vet that is a decent 3&D or alternate playmaker)
New Wing (idk the draft well enough, but hell consider one of the Thompsons, or in the ultimate pipe dream, Wemby)
Lauri
Kessler

Day-um. Rack up the rings. Fun to dream, innit?
My pipe dream is almost exactly the same... only difference I put Lauri into that wing spot and put an elite wing defender (who can just hit open shots on offense) on the PF. Also much easier to acquire after we give a kings ransom for Hali lol.

Big wing with 3-level scoring and self-creation: KD, Tatum, Giannis, etc.
Giannis is not a 3-level scorer. Dont get me wrong, I think he is the best player listed there... but he has .350 career accuracy for shots from further than 3 ft away.

I know last year it looked like he had improved on shooting and lots of talk about it... but this year it has been uglier than ever apart from his rookie year:
.283 (3-10ft)
.290 (10-16ft)
.366 (16ft-3P)
.245 (3P)
.653 (FT)

Giannis is not a 3-level scorer. Dont get me wrong, I think he is the best player listed there... but he has .350 career accuracy for shots from further than 3 ft away.

I know last year it looked like he had improved on shooting and lots of talk about it... but this year it has been uglier than ever apart from his rookie year:
.283 (3-10ft)
.290 (10-16ft)
.366 (16ft-3P)
.245 (3P)
.653 (FT)

Okay, what teams are looking for is someone who is an "unstoppable" scorer.

I think JC could continue in the #2 role. Still think Rui would fit quite well on the roster to round it out, increased size and athleticism. After that would try to fill PG spot through the draft this year as well as a younger SF/PF that can grow within the system

Jc is a fine #2 option on a team like this that is fighting to be in the play in, but he's not a #2 option on a contender.