What's new

Why are Mormon temples so ugly?

Siro

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
Aside from the one downtown, Mormon temples are absolutely terrible looking. I am sick of staring at those eye sores every time I leave my house. Can't you at least put forth SOME effort into their design. Sheesh.

Edit: Specially the one in Provo. That one is the worst.

There is a Mormon Temple here in Arizona that my Family used to go to every Christmas for the christmass lights. It is pretty cool looking imo.

phoenix-mormon-temple.jpg

I can think of a bunch that aren't!

Washington DC
Washington.jpg

Oakland
oakland_temple.gif

San Diego
2004-san-diego-temple-at-night.jpg

portland.jpg

mormon-temple-Cardston-Alberta31.jpg

I personally think some of them are gorgeous. Some of them are ugly, but overall, I think they have awesome designs.

Troll.

I like how most of them look. Which is about all that matters to me since I'll never see one from the inside.

Those buildings are beautiful. I guess it's just a Utah thing.

Aside from the one downtown, Mormon temples are absolutely terrible looking. I am sick of staring at those eye sores every time I leave my house. Can't you at least put forth SOME effort into their design. Sheesh.

Edit: Specially the one in Provo. That one is the worst.

I'll have to admit that I also find the Provo and Ogden temples among the least attractive. Having seen the San Diego temple in person I can vouch for its beauty. I also find the Salt Lake temple to be quite spectacular.

salt-lake-mormon-temple.jpg

That said I think this thread is more about you being an *** than anything else.

I admit that many of these buildings are very nice. However, I feel that since I'm not LDS and my experience with temple architecture is limited to Utah, my opinion was justified. There are several temples around SLC area, and none of them look good. It reminds me of BYU's blandness. Sure it's clean and all, but it looks bad.

And judging from the neg rep I got, I probably should've chosen nicer words. My bad.

ldsoquirrhmountaintemple05.png

Draper-Temple-Fence.jpg

Here's two temples in Salt Lake County that I don't think are "ugly." What temples are you talking about more specifically? The West Jordan Temple, the Salt Lake Temple, the Oquirrh Mountain Temple, the Draper Temple?

The two above don't look good at all. Specially the upper one. My biggest problem is the huge featureless box that composes most of the temple. Sure the front is nice, but the rest if big white box. I don't like that conference building style either. It is very blocky and featureless. The Joseph Smith building downtown is beautiful, but it's not a temple.

Funny thing is my wife and I were making dumb comments today about how ugly the Provo temple is. I think they are beautiful erections otherwise.

The two above don't look good at all. Specially the upper one. My biggest problem is the huge featureless box that composes most of the temple. Sure the front is nice, but the rest if big white box. I don't like that conference building style either. It is very blocky and featureless. The Joseph Smith building downtown is beautiful, but it's not a temple.

Read the bible and Hebrew scholars, then get a clue *******.

Funny thing is my wife and I were making dumb comments today about how ugly the Provo temple is. I think they are beautiful erections otherwise.

Read the bible and Hebrew scholars, then get a clue *******.

What a great advice. I'll make sure I'll study Hebrew scholars in detail before making comments on architectural styles in the future!

That level of pretension must be exhausting.

What a great advice. I'll make sure I'll study Hebrew scholars in detail before making comments on architectural styles in the future!

That level of pretension must be exhausting.

Not for the skilled amoung us.