What's new

Why are the Jazz predicted to finish 3rd in the division??

Well in interview to russian newspaper AK kind of agrees to "experts"
Link: https://basketball.sport-express.ru/reviews/8901/
Few quotes:
So you are saying two wins over reigning NBA champs in LA doesn't mean anything?

- I wouldn't put much attention to these. Lakers played with shorthanded line up. If they used all their resources outcome would be different. But don't underestimate this series as well. Utah is in good shape now but we need to translate it to beginning of the regular season. We have very tough early schedule .

- There are substantial changes in the Jazz roster. Can you say the team is stronger now?

- No, I can't. This is totally different team now. Last season team was stronger simply because players had been playing together for a long time. A lot depends now on how much time it will take us to gel together. On the bright side all replacements we got are of equal value. However, we have problems with bigs while Okur is injured. Also once Bell wasn't present at one of the practices and we immediatly felt that we are missing "small guys". In other words we are very unbalanced - one or two injuries will immediatly cause us troubles.

OKC is ranked highly because of Durant. He's expected to have his "break out" year. I do believe that he is going to have an excellent year. But there is no way that I would put the Jazz as low as 3rd in the division. This just goes to show you how much work the Jazz have to do to get the recognition that they deserve. They arent getting yet because we keep falling to the Lakers and they are making it look like its easy for them to beat us. I hope that this year we have different results. If the Jazz can handle LA we will get the recognition that we deserve. Face it, nobody wants to see a team from Utah rise to the top. But this year could be a great year for us. We have always had to prove the critics wrong, this year is no different. Hopefully the team can rise to the occasion.

The X Factor for OKC is James Harden - he was a Top 5 pick that flew under the radar because of Durant's breakout season which afforded OKC the opportunity to bring him along slowly.

I saw flashes of excellent play by Harden last year - if he can build on that and be a force then OKC might very well win the division.

A lot of the "experts" undervalue Jefferson. They look at last season and somehow project his path as trending downwards even though he was coming off the ACL injury and was playing on a crappy team. They don't understand the impact a true low post player will have on this team and system, that the double team he will command down low is just what the flex needs, that teams will have to pick their poison. Double AJ, Millsap will throw one down. Don't double him, wheezy!

They don't understand that Jefferson is PISSED about all the doubters, and is coming in here with a chip and something to prove.

They think that Jefferson is coming in here to replace Boozer! Wrong. Millsap is replacing Boozer, and is a WARRIOR, where Boozer was a pansy! Jefferson is a huge upgrade to Okur (although Okur was getting to be a better inside presence). That front line is incredible, and with Deron running the point.... it's almost unfair.

They also don't understand the strides CJ and Fesenko have made. Both are vastly improved models from last year. CJ has added the ability to get to the rim and it's huge for him. He'll go to the line more, and teams will not be able to play him as closely. He's also improved his defense.

They don't get that AK has finally figured out his role, and is one of the best team basketball players ever to play the game.

They don't get that Deron Williams is PISSED about getting bounced by the Lakers in 4 last year, and will be taking it out on the rest of the league. Almost makes you feel sorry for them!

Finally, they don't get how good defensively this team will be. Boozer was our stopper last year. Boozer! That prissy little screaming girl. Jefferson isn't known for his D, but has he really had a reason to care? Millsap and AK, plus Raja and Deron (and great defensive players coming off the bench), will shore up any weaknesses there. AJ sure looked good against Gasol.

59 wins. First in the west.